PDA

View Full Version : Where in CA is the sr legal?

arlocks13
05-19-2009, 09:24 AM
Ok so I used to have a s13 and currently I am driving a Mazda rx-8. I am selling the mazda and I would like to get another s13 but I want a blacktop this time.

I was talking to this guy in santa cruz about buying his s13 which had a rb20 in it and he said it was legal because Santa Cruz is a bunch of hippies and they dont have to get "smogged" every 2 years...The reason I didn't buy was it needed to be smogged asap and didn't have 2 years left on the smog.

So my question is I am moving to Davis,CA this fall with my girlfriend for college (UC Davis) and I was curious if they smog? Or if it is "ok"
to have a blacktop there? Is it only in the peninsula (SF BAY) that the sr is illegal? Seems like everyone and their mom daily's a sr20/rb can someone help me out with this...?

DALAZ_68
05-19-2009, 09:36 AM
NOWHERE............period

1five10
05-19-2009, 09:39 AM
You should delete this thread before the Zilvians jump all over you. The California DMV rules applies to the entire state, even where hippies live. That guy was just trying to dump his car off on you.

Vatche
05-19-2009, 09:39 AM
arizona.
msglentgh

1five10
05-19-2009, 09:40 AM
Dalaz already got you while I was typing. I told you so.

1five10
05-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Fuck it....We should all register are cars in Santa Cruz and forget about getting reffed in SoCal.

arlocks13
05-19-2009, 09:42 AM
ha ok thanks guys, I knew the sr was pretty much illegal everywhere I was just curious if for some reason certain cities had individual laws that worked like a loophole..

K_style
05-19-2009, 09:45 AM
ha ok thanks guys, I knew the sr was pretty much illegal everywhere I was just curious if for some reason certain cities had individual laws that worked like a loophole..

not in Cali...

gotta go to AZ... but even in AZ they do smog in Metro area....

norcal_black240
05-19-2009, 10:18 AM
Ok so I used to have a s13 and currently I am driving a Mazda rx-8. I am selling the mazda and I would like to get another s13 but I want a blacktop this time.

I was talking to this guy in santa cruz about buying his s13 which had a rb20 in it and he said it was legal because Santa Cruz is a bunch of hippies and they dont have to get "smogged" every 2 years...The reason I didn't buy was it needed to be smogged asap and didn't have 2 years left on the smog.

So my question is I am moving to Davis,CA this fall with my girlfriend for college (UC Davis) and I was curious if they smog? Or if it is "ok"
to have a blacktop there? Is it only in the peninsula (SF BAY) that the sr is illegal? Seems like everyone and their mom daily's a sr20/rb can someone help me out with this...?

They pop hoods in Davis, so try to make your car look stock as possible, and they have dyno smog since its a bigger city. A SR is illegal in all parts of cali, but if you live in certain counties they do not have the 2 year smog law if you already own the car, but if you purchase or sell a vehicle you have to smog the car.

cxlo8331
05-19-2009, 10:26 AM
almost everywhere else but cali.

XeroX
05-19-2009, 10:27 AM
Kinda funny i had some kid come with a friend of mine to my house while i was working on my 510. I guess he had some RB in his s13, so when he bought the car, the guy he got the car from owned some shop and told him since the swap was done by the shop under its name for promotional purposes that it was exempt from smog...

He totally fell for it and was all pissed off when he got his renewal....i personally dont c how anyone could buy any car with a swapped motor and not be able to call bull$hit...

I have heard that certain counties up farther north dont require as smog tests as frequently, and that their emission requirements are a little lower than in high populated areas...but a visual test is a visual test...u will fail everywhere in CA

EDIT : Yes, Sacramento and Davis are both rather poopish on imports, and unless you are vigilant, you will get ur hood popped...davis is alot worse than Sac tho...

norcal_black240
05-19-2009, 10:53 AM
if you look on the dmv it lists which counties do not have to do the 2 year smog. I know humboldt county, alamedia county ( I am not a very good speller), I think mendicino county, and parts of sonoma county are smog exempt.

05-19-2009, 10:54 AM
in California? maybe for off road use only :p

E2EKIELR34
05-19-2009, 10:55 AM
ieverywhere

ero714
05-19-2009, 11:06 AM
register your car at the DMV as a Special Project, or something like that (Check DMV Website for it). you can never resell it but you can drive your SR under 8psi! it might cost you a pretty Pennie thou so good luck

sileighty83
05-19-2009, 11:08 AM
:keke: srsly! NOWHERE! Cali sucks!

s13skank
05-19-2009, 11:13 AM
arizona.
msglentgh

He's right here in Az they dont give a nut about smog, thats the only good part about living here

brndck
05-19-2009, 11:29 AM
there are parts of northern california where once you smog your car and have it registered there, you do not have to smog it again unless you sell it.

that is the only "loophole" that i'm aware of in california.

there are dozens of threads about getting smogged as an "alternative fuel vehicle" like running cng (compressed natural gas) but some how if a cop popped your hood and you told him, "hey its fine, its registered as a cng car" i think he'd be even more suspicious and more likely to write you a ticket. not only are you running an illegally modified car, but you've commited fraud by telling the dmv that the car has been converted to cng when it has not.

the bottom line is, if you want an sr, its illegal.

if you want a ka-t, its illegal EXCEPT if its the greddy kit, but even then, if you modify the greddy kit its illegal.

unless every mod you have has a carb sticker, its illegal.

stop making new threads about it. read the dozens of threads already in existence.

or better yet, read the dmv website.

heavenskrow
05-19-2009, 12:42 PM
ur an idiot. do ur research before u ask such a dumb question

slider2828
05-19-2009, 02:57 PM
The greddy turbo kit was pending for bar, but never finished. So the turbo kit is also illegal unfortunately.

swayray
05-19-2009, 03:07 PM
you can probably get away driving it around mojave if you don't get stuck in the sands... my buddy and I used to go to the only stater's brothers in town in his ATVs....

karl wasabi
05-19-2009, 03:12 PM
In Toretto's hot rod heaven...

yeti303
05-19-2009, 08:49 PM
god this topic has been covered like 5 zillion times....

do your dam research first ....

Phlip
05-19-2009, 09:06 PM
You guys are all keeping secrets...
The SR can be legal in California, but only in Never Never Land.
This is not to be confused with Neverland, where Michael Jackson lives -- and you might be able to score some Jesus juice on the way to a windy and getting your rim popped...
Specifically, I mean Never Never land, as in TWO Nevers, so you might not want to hold your breath, as this only applies on February 31st on non leap years.

This has been asked time and again, and only leads to flames, this will die now