PDA

View Full Version : cheap way to boost your octane

GeneStarWindGSW
05-14-2009, 11:51 AM
I haven't tested this myself yet, but mythbusters have.

George Nitta - Hawaii Automotive 101 (http://www.georgenitta.com/mothballs/mothballs.htm)

http://i43.tinypic.com/63shew.png

also some science behind it.

I think I understand the idea here. Moth balls are made of naphthalene, which is basically two benzene molecules that are connected. Though naphthalene isn't flammable, benzene is. I suppose it's possible that being dissolved in gasoline, or the conditions inside the engine pre-combustion could cause the naphthalene molecules to break apart into into benzene molecules, and thereby improve the combustion characteristics of the combined fuel mixture.

If this is the case, it could work similarly to nitrous oxide, which is not technically flammable by itself, but provides an elevated amount of oxygen to the fuel in the cylinder when it's broken down by the pressure/heat during compression. More O2 plus + more fuel = more power.

I really don't know for sure if this something I would test out myself, but I know benzene was used as an additive in gas in the post-WW2 era. A number of non-english speaking countries even use the two words (gasoline and benzene) interchangeably. In German specifically, gasoline is called "benzin".

Hope this makes sense without being too wordy...

tunersedge
05-14-2009, 12:06 PM
or you could just buy higher octane gasoline and not worry about your shit blowing up cause you stuck mothballs in your gas tank.

ayuaddict
05-14-2009, 12:10 PM
if you have some sort of fancy setup which requires higher octane fuel to operate properly, then im sure you can afford the required fuel...

GeneStarWindGSW
05-14-2009, 12:23 PM
if u got the money to waste then for sure, but not every1 is a big money baller here :|

silviaguy240
05-14-2009, 12:32 PM
what the fuck you cant afford the extra $5 for premium gas? cars that need premium gas are a luxury, not a necessity. if you cant afford to put premium gas in your car you shouldnt be modifying your car to go faster.

IStop4NoMan
05-14-2009, 12:39 PM
I can't wait to see someone make a mothball machine that at the flick of the switch, adds mothballs to the gas tank. then the driver will have that NOS effect happen to them just like in the fast and the furious!

1ZlowZ
05-14-2009, 12:40 PM
My car is stock I always put premium, it actually last longer. With regular gas its like its peeing the gas out cause it has bad prostate. Premium it likes to hold it in. Plus I hear it burns cleaner.

fliprayzin240sx
05-14-2009, 01:21 PM
I wanna run my car on cheap beer and mothballs...

slider2828
05-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Hahah cheapest is water meth injection.... Its DIRT cheap come on now....

jskateborders
05-14-2009, 03:18 PM
wtf? really?

slider2828
05-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Mothballs, .... maybe a strand gets not eaten up by the gas, clog in injector and kablueeey!!!

The Chad
05-14-2009, 03:26 PM
In the owner's manual for my 1st car, 89' Hyundai Excell, it stated that the car could be run on a percentage of ethyl alcohol and gasoline. I allways wanted to dump some grain alcohol in teh tank to try it out...alas...it blew it's head gasket a week later. (total POS car)
I guess this wasn't relevent, byt I found it interesting.

airforceone451
05-14-2009, 03:28 PM
You realize you can't really trust any verdict mythbusters formulates. They almost always use just one sample and it could very well be that this one engine was on the positive end of the spectrum (meaning it had better performance). They should be testing multiple engines and averaging the results together to see if the value is greater than zero. Then you might be able to say there is greater performance. Just something to think about when watching mythbusters. Take it with a grain of salt.

ZenkiKid
05-14-2009, 10:31 PM
cheap way to boost octane is to mix in a correct amount of Acetone into your gas, google the equation.

Taniguchi_Is_#1
05-14-2009, 11:03 PM
How to make (relatively) cheap octane boost/race fuel - Clubplanet Nightlife Community (http://bbs.clubplanet.com/useless-blabber/141798-how-make-relatively-cheap-octane-boost-race-fuel.html)

WhiteTE72GT
05-14-2009, 11:07 PM
There was this one guys I knew a few years back when the first evos were just out and me and my buddies were in the street racing thing. He put Paint thinner and said it was his substitute for racegas.

sunnys14
05-15-2009, 12:34 AM
Paint thinner = Toluene

Toluene is the main ingredient in race fuel

XeroX
05-15-2009, 09:47 AM
Mothballs, .... maybe a strand gets not eaten up by the gas, clog in injector and kablueeey!!!

God forbid the fuel filter might do its job...

Originally Posted by Neodeuccio http://zilvia.net/f/images/zilvia/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/139186-turbo-exhaust-rattle-cant-find.html#post1319314)
I think I understand the idea here. Moth balls are made of naphthalene, which is basically two benzene molecules that are connected. Though naphthalene isn't flammable, benzene is. I suppose it's possible that being dissolved in gasoline, or the conditions inside the engine pre-combustion could cause the naphthalene molecules to break apart into into benzene molecules, and thereby improve the combustion characteristics of the combined fuel mixture.

If this is the case, it could work similarly to nitrous oxide, which is not technically flammable by itself, but provides an elevated amount of oxygen to the fuel in the cylinder when it's broken down by the pressure/heat during compression. More O2 plus + more fuel = more power.

I really don't know for sure if this something I would test out myself, but I know benzene was used as an additive in gas in the post-WW2 era. A number of non-english speaking countries even use the two words (gasoline and benzene) interchangeably. In German specifically, gasoline is called "benzin".

Hope this makes sense without being too wordy...

And in regards to this, Higher octane ratings arent suposed to make gasoline more "flamable" .

Luxery cars that prefer higher octane fuel (like i think almost all nissans...) simply because they run higher compression there fore more likely to experience detonation/pinging issues and therreforreee requiring high octane fuel, which is actually more difficult to ignite, despite the misconception that high octane fuel is more powerful. When the fuel is more difficult to burn, early ignition is eliminated, and with it the knocking or pinging.

If your car doesnt require high octane dont buy it...your waisting your money and your being stupid...plain and simple! But im not sure since i dont drive a 240, but ive never seen a nissan that didnt "recomend premium" (with the exception of my 510 haha)