PDA

View Full Version : Sony ericsson x1 xperia

speedgod^s13
05-13-2009, 03:36 AM
Anyone using this phone? I've had my iphone for a really, really long time, saw this guy selling this Sony on Craigslist, and i'm curious about it. I went on the Ericsson website, and it looks quite promising, as well as stylish. I like that it has a qwerty keyboard, and touch screen. Chime in with your thoughts.

Phlip
05-13-2009, 04:57 AM
Sony Ericsson phones are ridiculously user friendly and feature rich, I have been using them for about 3 years now... My friend left the company just as the x1 was coming out, so I was unfortunately not able to get one of those, but I can assure you that the company makes great phones, no issues with any of mine.

slider2828
05-13-2009, 09:34 AM
GSMArena.com

Its probably the best phone out there..... But remember its different from Iphone... its more world friendly for travel. It does support US 3G networks, obviously cingular only, so you gotta swap cards. You can't get insurance for it, so you break it, its gone....

It runs windows mobile and it also has lots of aftermarket apps...

Dutchmalmiss
05-13-2009, 09:38 AM
This was a phone I always wanted to get because I'm also brand loyal. Ended up getting a G1 instead, which I don't regret. If I can see an X1 going for like half the price, I'll probably snag one.

ronmcdon
05-13-2009, 02:58 PM
phone has a couple of quirks.
i purchased one for a family member as an unlocked phone for around $900.
Later, I got an I-phone for myself, so I'll make some comparos between the two.

to install the sim card & battery, the back casing has to be removed.
the back casing was extremely difficult to take off.
almost broke off my fingernail trying to remove it.
was easy to put back on though.

Keep in mind the X1 works via a Microsoft OS.
When it works, it's easy to figure out if you're familiar with other windows OS.
I don't think the Microsoft mobile OS is as intuitive as the i-phone's OS.
But still it's not hard to figure out either, I just prefer the i-phone's overall simplicity.
Keep in mind that as far as actual computers go, I use both, and I prefer PC's over Macs.
also the microsoft mobile OS in my experience isn't very reliable.
always freezes up several different functions.
for a while, I couldn't retrieve my contact lists at all.

I went to the microsoft mobile OS website for troubleshooting & updating the software.
info there wasn't very helpful.
if anyone knows of any resources I can use to troubleshoot microsoft mobile OS, pls let me know.
my biggest qualm thus so far is with the actual miscrosoft OS.

With the actual phone, quality of materials is first class.
has lots of non-flashy brushed aluminum, high quality metal plastic, & feels very solid.
design looks good without being flashy.
QWERTY layout works ok.
it's a lot easier to text on that compared to say an i-phone
but the buttons are kinda small, and the function isn't as nice as your typical blackberry & the sidekick.

Size of the X1 is amazingly compact & light.
It doesn't attract fingerprints as much as the i-phone.
Internet browsing is fairly user friendly, although I felt the display wasn't as large as the i-phone.

Phone reception very good, especially considering it's an unlocked phone not test by AT&T.
It's on par with some of the prior SonyEricsson/Nokia phones I've used with AT&T before.
It's much better than my I-phone's phone reception.

as an MP3 player, never had a chance to test how well the phone performed unfortunately.
images on the X1 appear to be very clear and vibrant.
it would prob be good for watching video files.

Overall, I'm not convinced the X1 is worth it's price.
If you're good with troubleshooting Microsoft mobile OS, and you can afford it, might not be a bad phone.
Even without the Microsoft OS issues, I just don't think the phone justifies the outrageous $900 pricetag.
TBH - I'm not too happy with my i-phone either, but that's another can of worms.

DreamN
05-13-2009, 03:00 PM
I miss my W810i. It was truly everything I wanted in a phone without the need for internet.

X1 is gangster though. Just not worth the money. Would have been a lot cheaper if it was actually offered through T-Mobile or at&t.

phillofdfuture
05-13-2009, 05:19 PM
i wanted to get the X1...maybe if you could get it for 600-700 do it! i dont kno the prices now but back then they were 900