PDA

View Full Version : The new "import wars"?

Drifting Ricer
03-29-2003, 08:37 AM
Yes folks this good time to be Japanese car fan boy. With the introduction of legion of new "import cars". So I will ask you who think will the new king. The old generation king was the supra. Now we have a close battle between the WRX STI, EVO 8, RX8, S2000 and the 350Z. Yes I know, we have yet to see the new NSX, GTR and the Toyota’s supra replacement on the road(But they don't count yet). Let's compare these new cars. Compare them stock for stock, mod potential and staying power. For the time bieng I think the WRS STI takes the cake. I know the 350z are nice BUT I doubt the mob potential NA open deck v6.

Okay people let the ****ing contest BEGIN!!!!

Ps. Were not talking about the low end japanese cars or US and german cars here. ONLY japanese cars.

SaintlyCharBoy
03-29-2003, 09:41 AM
i like the s2k and love the styling of the 350z, but the new wrx sti is going to be where it's at - clean agressive style, awd, and the thing has nut

PS EVO 8 = fugly

Zemus
03-29-2003, 09:45 AM
The Sti has the ballz, and the qm time, which i guess is about 13.6 ish, but the 350z has more power potental, Nippon is comming out with supercharger for the 350z which should be VERY interesting, im sure we will be seeing a 350z drag car sometime soon. Im sure with those wide wheel wells it could easly stock fit 11 inch wide tires which would get the baby good traction.

Drifting Ricer
03-29-2003, 10:26 AM
I knew I was ganna get one these post... Were not talking about modded 240sx. The 240sx is cheaper to get power. But I doubt the chassi is has advance has these newer cars. Plus not to mention these newer cars are completly street legal. No worrying about emissions testing. Anyways let me get off my sap box.

The interesting is that they all weight about the same 3200k to 3400k pounds. The qm time on the Z is 14.4 but some guys have gone 13.9. Anyone know the QM from the other cars? Seems that RWD type sports car are out gunned.

DuffMan
03-29-2003, 10:31 AM
James HAD to post that. Otherwise this thread would not have anything to do with 240's and have to be moved to off topic!

AceInHole
03-29-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Drifting Ricer
I knew I was ganna get one these post... Were not talking about modded 240sx.

and thus this should've been posted in OFF TOPIC CHAT.

Before this gets moved.... my friend's stock base WRX walked on a 350z a week ago. I'd imagine the STi would romp it.

So, between all those cars the STi or EVO8 would be the toss up for best value.

kurissuS13
03-29-2003, 11:08 AM
stock for stock, i think the STI and the Evo would be the top cars on the scene, because of the fact that they have AWD to their advantage. they are both up their in the HP and TQ range with the 350Z, but the AWD puts them over the top.

modication wise; iirc, Greddy has already made a bolt-on TWIN turbo kit which bumps up the 350Z to somewhere around 340hp-360hp, i'm not so sure on those specs. the 350Z is lighter (or is it?) than the Sports Sedans, and has that low drag coefficient working for them. so i'd say the 350Z would be best with modifications. however, i am not a psychic and i have no idea what kinda CRAZY modifications will be done to these cars in the future, so whatever...

hookedup240
03-29-2003, 12:07 PM
I've heard that the STI and Evo are both underated power wise, my friend knows alot about these cars and says that the evo is pushing out like 320hp, but its rated at like 276 or something.

I've also heard that there is a $20,000 dealer markup on these cars when they come to the U.S.

KiDyNomiTe
03-29-2003, 12:43 PM
STi rules over all, my friend beat a 350Z in his WRX. S2K is supposedly being replaced with the S2200, looks kinda funky but more displacement, Don't know when though.

And isn't the RX8 only sticking around for a short time, I have heard rumors of another RX7, using the Renesis engine, and the good ole twin turbo, but this seems like a far-fetched dream.

EVO not EVO 8, is still fugly IMO, but it has a bit of power, but is missing a lot of the JDM gadgets like all the good LSDs, and such, but the STi seems to be the best out of all STis and is coming with new gadgets.

So STi for now takes the cake, but I think the GTR and the replacement of the Supra will come back with a vengence, especially if Nissan uses the FX45 engine with Twin Turbo, and it is basically going to be 400HP from what I have read, just not sure on the engine.

But IMO 350Z looks the best, plus there is no replacement for displacement, and it has the biggest engine out of the bunch.

ellinikomangas
03-29-2003, 08:16 PM
Greddy and a JIC (cant remeber for sure) are working on a twin turbo...

kurissuS13
03-29-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by KiDyNomiTe
... And isn't the RX8 only sticking around for a short time, I have heard rumors of another RX7, using the Renesis engine, and the good ole twin turbo, but this seems like a far-fetched dream.

EVO not EVO 8, is still fugly IMO, but it has a bit of power, but is missing a lot of the JDM gadgets like all the good LSDs, and such, but the STi seems to be the best out of all STis and is coming with new gadgets....

i remember reading somewhere that Mazda is trying to set up a 3 rotary sports car line. at the top of the line-up, iirc, is the RX-8, followed by an updated version of the RX-7, and then a new Rotary MX-5 Miata. they want to do like the other car makers and have a 3-tiered sports car line-up.

as for the Evo, the US got the Evo 7.5. it looks like the Evo 8 but is missing the 6spd tranny and the Super AYC that are featured in the Evo 8 GSR. bah! :(