PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone running differential fluid catch can?

redsx13
05-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Like the post says, im wondering if anyone on Zilvia has installed a diff fluid catch can on their 240, and if so, where have you mounted it? pics?

projectRDM
05-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Why? The fluid should never leave the diff unless it's overfilled.

redsx13
05-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Its required to compete in D1 via section 31 of the D1 GP rules and regulations handbook, and i was wondering the same thing myself.

fliprayzin240sx
05-10-2009, 08:35 PM
WTF is a diff fluid catch can?!?!

S14DB
05-10-2009, 09:13 PM
The stock hose doesn't count?

redsx13
05-10-2009, 10:09 PM
no, apparently they require an actual can. same thing with the transmission too. I'm thinking of contacting them to clarify

murda-c
05-10-2009, 10:22 PM
where does that hose lead to anyway?

Mister.E
05-10-2009, 10:34 PM
WTF is a diff fluid catch can?!?!

i am wondering the same thing. i cant see any reason why you would ever need a "catch can" for a diff...it isnt like the diff gets any blowby or anything. i could understand a diff fluid cooler, but that doesnt sound like what he is talking about.

fishhouse
05-10-2009, 10:41 PM
i am wondering the same thing. i cant see any reason why you would ever need a "catch can" for a diff...it isnt like the diff gets any blowby or anything. i could understand a diff fluid cooler, but that doesnt sound like what he is talking about.

the little cap thing on top of the diff covers can puke oil out here and there, but only enough to make the top of the diff hold onto some dirt and look like ass, never enough to leak from what ive seen. the hose from the diff on some cars go into a little plastic breather, i just ziptie the hose up somewhere usually lol.

redsx13
05-11-2009, 12:07 AM

there is a hose on the trans that just vents to open atmosphere, and there is a metal cap/breather on the diff does the same.

here is the exerpt from the hand-book...

"A transmission and differential oil catch tank must be installed. The transmission catch tank capacity must be more than 100cc and made by metal or resin and must be installed in passenger compartment. The differential catch tank capacity must be more than 200cc and made by metal or resin and must not be installed in the passenger compartment. If both transmission and differential share the same catch tank, the capacities need to be greater than 300cc in total. The catch tank breather must exit the outside."

-2009 D1 GP Rules and Regulations handbook.

S14DB
05-11-2009, 10:53 AM

Dumps into the "frame" above the RUCA.

Verbal_S13
05-11-2009, 05:19 PM
there is a hose on the trans that just vents to open atmosphere, and there is a metal cap/breather on the diff does the same.

"A transmission and differential oil catch tank must be installed. The transmission catch tank capacity must be more than 100cc and made by metal or resin and must be installed in passenger compartment. The differential catch tank capacity must be more than 200cc and made by metal or resin and must not be installed in the passenger compartment. If both transmission and differential share the same catch tank, the capacities need to be greater than 300cc in total. The catch tank breather must exit the outside."

Correct, you would want to tap the diff. where the vent is and run a line to a remote catch can. I would assume its for when the diff is hot and being tossed around you do not loose gear oil on the track.

These work well..

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/547605325.jpg

southerncross
05-11-2009, 07:36 PM
thats not too uncommon in racing. a lot of SCCA club racing classes require them when you get into the more well prepared cars. its really not that big of a deal. . . one tube from the tranny, one tube from the diff, mount the can in the trunk.

neukin
05-12-2009, 09:10 AM
If you used that jaz unit there you would need to take the filter off and run a tube from the top of the can to the filter. Filter has to be outside the interior of the car and the can has to be in the interior of the car... who made these rules.. haha. Iv built a few but didnt do it per their odd regulation. I mount the can underside rear right outside the car so no breather tube had to be ran but then since my can is not mounted inside the passenger area i guess its not vaild? Funny thing is by the time you run all this hose the hose cc is larger then the can so why not just run a 3ft tube with a filter on it lol 1ft tube at 13mm dia is like 124cc of fluid right

projectRDM
05-12-2009, 12:01 PM

That shit is stupid. Another reason drifting is absolutely fucking retardedly ghey.

TNathe
05-12-2009, 01:26 PM
If you are racing in a D1 event you NEED to have a race-only car and it needs to be prepped as a "race car" should be. IMO of course ;)

Verbal_S13
05-12-2009, 05:10 PM
If you used that jaz unit there you would need to take the filter off and run a tube from the top of the can to the filter. Filter has to be outside the interior of the car and the can has to be in the interior of the car... who made these rules.. haha. Iv built a few but didnt do it per their odd regulation. I mount the can underside rear right outside the car so no breather tube had to be ran but then since my can is not mounted inside the passenger area i guess its not vaild? Funny thing is by the time you run all this hose the hose cc is larger then the can so why not just run a 3ft tube with a filter on it lol 1ft tube at 13mm dia is like 124cc of fluid right

You have come a long way man, Congrats. I bought u 4th or 5th manifold on h-t a good while back.

neukin
05-15-2009, 04:42 PM
You have come a long way man, Congrats. I bought u 4th or 5th manifold on h-t a good while back.

Well in that case i owe you a thanks and discount if you need anything for that S13. Thank YOU. Wish i could find the first unit from 2002.. I have pics somewhere is crazy how "cave man" it was lol

Just might sell a Legal Drift trans/diff catchcan kit then, consider it done. Funny thing is a good friend of mine suggested this but not sure it was a good idea to make them.. prob isnt but can still do it haha

Ill post some pics later next week how its done