PDA

View Full Version : Boxee?

BustedS13
05-05-2009, 08:01 PM
DO NOT GAY THIS UP WITH YOUR 4CHAN BULLSHIT, THANKS
....seriously can a mod delete anything related to that stupid shit? thank you.

has anybody used Boxee? i canceled my cable (switching to 60mbps internet) and want to watch 720p video in the living room. might build a new box, might just get a fresh laptop and move the desktop into the living room, dunno.
anybody? 360 doesn't play nice with formats worth watching

boxee: the open, connected, social media center for mac os x and linux (http://www.boxee.tv/)

HyperTek
05-05-2009, 10:47 PM
sounds pretty cool.

So i take its a high def tv stream that you just use ur computer to broadcast on a tv.

For the money, i say go with a FTA sat setup.. search it on google to see what im talking about =D

SochBAT
05-05-2009, 11:11 PM
sadly, FTAs go out every few days. Weaksauce.

P_856
05-05-2009, 11:25 PM
i love my fta box i need to upgrade tho

SochBAT
05-05-2009, 11:31 PM
We be running a cooooolsat.

P_856
05-05-2009, 11:42 PM
my 1st box was a coolsat lol im using pansat now im thinking about getting a captiveworks

S14DB
05-06-2009, 05:26 AM
The problem I see with Boxee is that not everyone is happy to have their content striped and streamed outside of their web "interface." I have tried it and it can be annoying when a content source goes "down" and you have to wait for a patch to work around the change.

boxee blog » the Hulu situation (http://blog.boxee.tv/2009/02/18/the-hulu-situation/)
Hulu Blog Doing hard things (http://blog.hulu.com/2009/2/18/doing-hard-things)
DeviceGuru » Imagining Boxee without Hulu (http://www.deviceguru.com/imagining-boxee-without-hulu/)

Hulu is back up with the new version of Boxee. But nether Boxee or Hulu made an announcement about it. I wonder if it's just Boxee slipping it back in.

I think it's a great resource. Just not well accepted or supported enough to make it a primary source of content.

exitspeed
05-06-2009, 06:34 AM
Are there local channels?

S14DB
05-06-2009, 07:10 AM
Are there local channels?

No, basically it's a stream aggregator. Anything you can watch in your web browser it formats so you can watch on your TV in a media center format.

HyperTek
05-06-2009, 07:55 AM
i bet its delayed..

Helghast
05-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Get an FTA, like everyone said.
I'm rocking 2 Pansat, and it doesn't go out as most people think.

Boxee is a mod of XBMC, I'd prefer XBMC really.

Utorrent + .RSS Feeds + XBMC = Free TV.

Too bad you're on a time out and won't see this.

ManoNegra
10-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Bringing it back since D-Link's Boxee Box is due to release early November
and I've looking for a solution to access MKV files off my hard drives and watch them on my TV
been using TVersity on the Xbox and it works great for avi, mp4, xvid... except MKV
$200 price tag sounds reasonable imo
discuss

BustedS13
10-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Bringing it back since D-Link's Boxee Box is due to release early November
and I've looking for a solution to access MKV files off my hard drives and watch them on my TV
been using TVersity on the Xbox and it works great for avi, mp4, xvid... except MKV
$200 price tag sounds reasonable imo
discuss

XBMC handles mkv's great, just really wish the old xbox could handle HD :/
but you could just set up a mac mini or some other tiny pc with xbmc and call it a day.

ManoNegra
10-24-2010, 02:30 PM
XBMC huh?
I need to look into that
I have a cheap laptop that I'm using for TVersity that's working pretty well
unfortunately, this is my only PC at the moment
really need to build another system one of these days
I just think that for the price, the Boxee Box looks very attractive

S14DB
10-24-2010, 04:39 PM
WD TV Live HD Media Player ( WDBAAN0000NBK ) (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=735)
Video - AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG1/2/4), MPG/MPEG, VOB, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1), TS/TP/M2T (MPEG1/2/4, AVC, VC-1), MP4/MOV (MPEG4, h.264), M2TS, WMV9
Photo - JPEG, GIF, TIF/TIFF, BMP, PNG
Audio - MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, AIF/AIFF, OGG, Dolby Digital, DTS
Playlist - PLS, M3U, WPL
Subtitle - SRT, ASS, SSA, SUB, SMI

WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player ( WDBABX0000NBK ) (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=832)
+ Netflix support.

ManoNegra
10-24-2010, 05:10 PM
That looks like it'll do everything I want it to
you have one? how do you like it?

edit
Best Buy is selling refurbished units for ~$60 after tax and shipping
got one on order

ManoNegra
10-24-2010, 07:39 PM
heh? don't follow
I checked out the XBMC info but that requires a pc plugged in to the TV
(I was hoping to do it either through the XBox or TV directly with ethernet)
my cheap laptop only has s-video out and I want hdmi
so that means new hardware,
so for 2 bills the boxee box sounded attractive
but it is half a month away
I can get (and did) the WD box today and for less
should be here late next week, we'll see

edit
watching the Korean Grand Prix in HD through TVersity on the XBox as I type this

S14DB
10-24-2010, 08:36 PM
DO NOT GAY THIS UP WITH YOUR 4CHAN BULLSHIT, THANKS
....seriously can a mod delete anything related to that stupid shit? thank you.

Anyways. WD Live is a great frontend. Ether stream to it or get a cheap big USB2 drive and dump files on to that. They are really good at adding formats requested on their forum in the updates. Best value for dollar out there. Boxee is a whole different ball game.

I think Google TV is a competitor to Boxee. But looks like they are having issues with content being blocked by hulu and others that Boxee has had.

The difference is that Google TV is tied to a cable or Sat source for HDMI overlay. Where boxee aggregates its own content.

BustedS13
10-24-2010, 10:57 PM
heh? don't follow
I checked out the XBMC info but that requires a pc plugged in to the TV
(I was hoping to do it either through the XBox or TV directly with ethernet)
my cheap laptop only has s-video out and I want hdmi
so that means new hardware,
so for 2 bills the boxee box sounded attractive
but it is half a month away
I can get (and did) the WD box today and for less
should be here late next week, we'll see

edit
watching the Korean Grand Prix in HD through TVersity on the XBox as I type this

XBMC was designed to be used on an original xbox. it's very easy to softmod, i have three in my house...
but if you're getting that WD thing for $60 shipped, that's probably a way better deal.

S14DB
10-25-2010, 12:10 AM
The xbox's hardware is not enough to play HD video. It does have 720P/1080i out but it can only upscale SD video. XBMC doesn't suport the xbox anymore and the last version is over a year old.

Boxee box looks comparable to buying a nettop and loading it with XBMC or its dirititaves.
Amazon.com: Boxee Box by D-Link: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038JE07O)

WD Live is a cheaper if your major thing is just playing content you already have and some streaming. I think the future is GoogleTV and XBMC/Boxee style Content aggregators. Managing all your media whether live, streamed or stored. But, DRM is going to be the thorn in the back of that.
Television networks block Google TV from accessing web-based content (update) -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/21/television-networks-block-google-tv-from-accessing-web-based-con/)

highwaystar22
10-25-2010, 03:10 PM
Popcorn Hour is always an option as well.

I'm running a ReadyNAS Duo with a 1.5TB Raid. I've looked at the WD Live units and compared them to the Popcorn Hour.

What I like about the PCH and Boxee is that the firmware and product upgrades are easier.

I've seen WD go through a couple different model line ups with their content players, and what I'm afraid of is them coming out with a totally different unit that plays *insert newfangled codec here*, instead of just releasing a firmware update to the current device. Then you're locked into buying a new WD Player everytime there is a huge codec update, whereas with a PCH or Boxee you just dl the new firmware/interface package.

S14DB
10-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Popcorn Hour is always an option as well.

I'm running a ReadyNAS Duo with a 1.5TB Raid. I've looked at the WD Live units and compared them to the Popcorn Hour.

What I like about the PCH and Boxee is that the firmware and product upgrades are easier.

I've seen WD go through a couple different model line ups with their content players, and what I'm afraid of is them coming out with a totally different unit that plays *insert newfangled codec here*, instead of just releasing a firmware update to the current device. Then you're locked into buying a new WD Player everytime there is a huge codec update, whereas with a PCH or Boxee you just dl the new firmware/interface package.
Popcorn hour is an option. I would like it more if the bluray player was available integrated instead of external. The NMT apps is a nice feature.

What is so hard about WD HD Live updates?
Once firmware is available through the online update tool, you will be automatically prompted to update. Simply click “Okay,” and the update will be downloaded and applied.
Alternatively, users may manually check for an online update at any time by going to the “Check for updates” section within the device settings menu, while the device is connected to the Internet.

The updates to the WD have been in Hardware. They all support the same formats. There are twice as many Popcorn Hour models. Where are you getting these unfounded theories?

highwaystar22
10-25-2010, 05:43 PM
What is so hard about WD HD Live updates?

The updates to the WD have been in Hardware. They all support the same formats. There are twice as many Popcorn Hour models. Where are you getting these unfounded theories?

You're correct about the ability to upgrade. I'm blurring the lines of hardware updates moreso than actual firmware updates.

I worked at Best Buy in computer sales pt for 6 years and I've seen hardware come in and out with seasons, and seen previous models not support new content from various manufacturer's, so I guess I'm a little gun shy of that happening with WD.