PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 RC

SochBAT
05-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Well, it dropped today. The Release Candidate has been released for testing. Use it free for a year and then some, the serial expires maybe 2010!

If you want it, just google 'Windows 7 RC download', and point yourself at the Microsoft website.

Anyone else geeking out?

Pank
05-05-2009, 03:56 PM
They just put it on our ELMS site, I may DL it and throw it on another partition

ryguy
05-05-2009, 04:57 PM
What happens when the serial expires? I want windows 7 but dont know if I wanna pay for it down the road.

HyperTek
05-05-2009, 06:53 PM
is it version 7100? i had it on torrent for a few days im almost done.

05-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Anyone else geeking out?

Hell yeah! best OS I have used to date.

http://zilvia.net/f/2785932-post33.html

SochBAT
05-05-2009, 07:30 PM
I've just spent an entire day on Windows 7. Its fast, more streamline than XP, but some of the shit is fucking retarded.

The majority of the day was spent searching HOW TO GET ON THE FUCKING INTERNET.

I plugged the ethercable in, and nothing. Installed one driver successfully (Ethernet) and found some didn't work (audio and videocard mainly).

Tried FOREVER to get online, but the connection tells me I'm on an 'unidentified network' and doesn't connect, AT ALL. I took precautions and installed Palm Desktop and PDANET, and am online with that.

Reset the router completely and it STILL isn't working. RUBBISH.

------

CliffNotes - Should have waited until some other bonehead tries it to work out the kinks, then pirate this beach.

exitspeed
05-05-2009, 07:31 PM
I wish my laptop could run it. I'd for sure DL it. I've aleady seen the beta stuff running and it's dope. Shit works the way it should.

SochBAT
05-05-2009, 07:33 PM
Then why am I in so much shit?

Then again, I am running an OLD computer.

1000mHz Pentium3
384mb SDRAM
180gb HDs

Ultra fail.

BustedS13
05-05-2009, 07:57 PM
gonna reformat here in a bit, clean XP install and windows 7, should be good times. <3

HyperTek
05-05-2009, 10:45 PM
why do you guys still bother with xp? Soo many xp guys still out there who swear by it. Its no longer supported.

sephiroth99
05-05-2009, 10:48 PM
I failed hard when installing w7rc. stoopid installer installed the bootloader on my data drive, not on my raid array. the installer didnt recognised the raid at first(needed drivers), so he put the single drive as "c:\". So I tried to install it on the raid manually, FAIL. damn BCD stupid shit. couldn't boot on anything. fortunately I didn't overwrite the xp mbr on the raid array, so I deleted my BCD files manually with a winpe cd

moral of the story : when you have a raid array, unplug all the other drives! should make him understand where to install the bootloader

why do you guys still bother with xp? Soo many xp guys still out there who swear by it. Its no longer supported.
because I only have 1GB of RAM and vista (pre-sp1) was sluggish. didn't bother to retry vista with sp1

edit: woot fixed it. with only the raid, the install dvd succeeded to fix/install the bootloader! just had to add manually the entry for winxp

O3DigitalBath
05-05-2009, 10:59 PM
has anyone else read this thing about how the RC will restart every 2 hours before it shuts down for good? haha

Gizmodo - Windows 7 RC1 Will Auto Shut Down Every Two Hours, Months Before Expiration - Windows 7 RC1 (http://gizmodo.com/5240677/windows-7-rc1-will-auto-shut-down-every-two-hours-weeks-before-expiration)

SochBAT
05-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Yea. Weird.

Oh well, fresh install of Ubuntu.

!Zar!
05-05-2009, 11:40 PM
What happens when the serial expires? I want windows 7 but dont know if I wanna pay for it down the road.

I'd like to know as well.

Om1kron
05-05-2009, 11:49 PM

Do you thrive on being a fucking idiot, or was it a birthright?

O3DigitalBath
05-05-2009, 11:50 PM
the OS become's basically unusable then...When it tries to log it it prompts you for a legit serial and if you don't provide one you can't do anything.

...there are workarounds for this but they are a paint in the ass. (like using the help screen to search for the task manager then starting the explorer.exe task to regain access to the desktop).

just buy it...or download it and you have a year to find a work around (i'm sure one will be out in a few weeks)

O3DigitalBath
05-05-2009, 11:55 PM

No longer supported? You can still buy it...get a key for it...get updates...sounds like its supported to me.

I'm not sure what you ment by that statement but just remember that it wasn't untill the end of 2007 that MS stopped "supporting" windows 3.1 and that was out in the early 90's.....supporting and not shipping new pre-built computers with something arn't the same.

Grendel
05-06-2009, 01:51 AM
I installed it this morning, put it on my 3rd hard drive that was basically empty.

Computer kind of flipped out, I could boot into either 7 or XP, boot into 7 and it shows my onboard NIC with a yellow !, couldn't find a driver to fix that. Go back into XP and my NICs aren't in device manager at all. Put in a PCI NIC, and that didn't work either.

Big pain in the ass so far.

I formatted my original drive to start fresh with XP, after it was done installing XP still couldn't see my NICs. Really wierd, I'll try to get it working tomorrow morning after work I guess :(

O3DigitalBath
05-06-2009, 06:50 AM
you try getting drivers for it? like just getting the whole Nforce drivers or whatever you have...?

I've got XP, Vista, 7,and ubuntu all installed on this box i'm using now and i've got no issues at all other than I need to buy some more HD's for space, haha.

SimpleS14
05-06-2009, 07:45 AM
I have it installed on my laptop and desktop, no issues and runs just fine.

Before the key expires, the OS will go into reduced functionality mode and abruptly restart. Then when it expires you won't even get the logon screen.

Of course by that time you will know for sure if you want Windows 7.

I plan to buy a copy for my desktop and put Vista x64 back on the laptop (unless I get a new laptop).

Grendel
05-06-2009, 08:02 AM
you try getting drivers for it? like just getting the whole Nforce drivers or whatever you have...?

I've got XP, Vista, 7,and ubuntu all installed on this box i'm using now and i've got no issues at all other than I need to buy some more HD's for space, haha.

I got 7 up and working now, guess there was issues with my motherboard's onboard NICs and vista... used a friends pci NIC for now. Downloaded an older version of the vista motherboard drivers and they seem to work ok.

I like how the new taskbar works, its pretty sick.

S14DB
05-06-2009, 08:18 AM
Why do you still drive your car? It's no longer under factory warranty...

W7 looks promising but I won't be upgrading till SP1...

HyperTek
05-06-2009, 08:32 AM
well theres soo many people still stuck on xp.. People are too affraid that they are moving to a unstable OS.. or just dont wanna spend $200 on software.. I got vista ultimate free for participating in a microsoft program.

The jump up to a newer OS is worth it =D, XP gets garbaged up after a while, hence why people are soo used to reformating when it gets garbaged up.

Grendel
05-06-2009, 08:50 AM
Well everything is working except my sound now. Drivers are installed, if I click the little speaker icon I can see its putting out sound... nothing muted... go into control panel and it recognizes the sound card.

So wierd :(

bp057
05-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Doesnt seem to like cisco vpn software, good thing I made a ghost image before I swapped. Back to Vista I go.....

Om1kron
05-06-2009, 11:45 AM
well theres soo many people still stuck on xp..

Like colleges?
Your Banking institution?
Most all POS (point of sales) systems running retail stores.
Most all NOC boxes running backups of sensitive data.
Most companies running active directory....

And even if winxp isn't powering those admin boxes, it damn sure is on the end user machines because nobody wants to spend the money to switch over to windows server 2k8 and exchange 2k7 if that's even out yet infrastructure to upgrade all of their end machines to vista, which has been known as unstable on older machines.

Meaning most companies would have to buy vista compiant machines.

Yeah, recession.

It will happen tomorrow...

not.

Yeah, nobody uses that shit anymore, XP... thing of the past.

Seriously stop posting in this thread.

You make my head hurt.

I am running XP64 on my home machine, which is windows server 2k3 dumbed down. Only because I've been running 4gigs of ram since 2005. No problems, no viruses (because they're written for x86 XP) and I couldn't be happier.

It's time to upgrade my machine so I will pay for windows 2k7 ultimate when it comes out and upgrade this box I'm running.

Vista has been nothing but a pain in the ass, but a few machines I've seen it on are pretty stable. But still the only thing that hampers xp is it's vunerability to viruses, and the fact that it has memory limitations.

Computers now can run 12gigs of ram, consumer computers. Not just servers, and that it WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY beyond the capabilities of XP, and even Vista.

So the benefit I see here if someone wants to have a big dick day over at that benchmark software website throwing the worlds fastest 3dmark score up there on their new solid running system.

I am runnin build 7100 of windows 7 on an old piece of shit gateway 4540gz which I upgraded to a gig of ram, the only issue I have with it is the intel video chip isn't supported so I can't install a driver for it. But the laptop still runs solid at 1024x768 with all hardware acceleration on full.

I'll run it like that until it expires and leave it up to the owner to upgrade.

But I damn sure won't recommend he dumbs it back down to XP home, which is the only version of XP I will personally admit is fucking worthless and shitty.

XP Professional however.

Different story.

Grendel
05-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Air Force is still using XP too. They are phasing in vista right now though. No idea about Marines/Army/etc though.

Ithical
05-06-2009, 12:27 PM
for installing it do we use the old beta keys? or is there new keys?

FaLKoN240
05-06-2009, 01:01 PM
OK just from what I read I'm not even close to being interested in installing this.

Grendel
05-06-2009, 01:14 PM

When you download it, you get a new one after you register your email.

SimpleS14
05-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Om1kron - I think HyperTek was referring to the direct consumer market.

You can use the beta keys.

OK just from what I read I'm not even close to being interested in installing this.

Don't knock it until you try it.

Future240
05-06-2009, 02:23 PM

I was excited till I read the document Microsoft put out saying what issues the RC has. I think I just might wait till a little after W7 comes out to upgrade

SochBAT
05-06-2009, 02:56 PM
wait. just wait. a year. at least.

BustedS13
05-06-2009, 03:13 PM
well theres soo many people still stuck on xp.. People are too affraid that they are moving to a unstable OS.. or just dont wanna spend $200 on software.. I got vista ultimate free for participating in a microsoft program.

The jump up to a newer OS is worth it =D, XP gets garbaged up after a while, hence why people are soo used to reformating when it gets garbaged up.

i don't "spend money" on operating systems, so that doesn't really apply here. i don't use Vista because a lot of the software i use does not work on it. also, XP uses next to nothing in resources by comparison. my desktop will run Vista fine, but i do not want it. many people share my view. it is not always worth it to run the newest OS.

kandyflip445
05-07-2009, 01:49 AM
Bleh, I can't get my audio to work. I FINALLY got my permissions straight. That stuff was stupid.

EDIT: Got the audio going now too. W00t.

WILDACEX187
05-07-2009, 02:23 AM
i would love to run this...but...my vista is runs so well right now. i hate it when i have to troubleshoot stuff lol. how did u guys get the network cards and audio to work? just install the drivers for them?

kandyflip445
05-07-2009, 02:33 AM
Pretty much. The network card worked from the get go. The audio I had to find an old driver and install it in compatibility mode and restart. Seems to be working now. Now to figure out how to get all of my old bookmarks back. ><

SimpleS14
05-07-2009, 07:00 AM
So I just found out that my company (5000+ employees) is skipping Vista and going straight to Windows 7. They pretty much said that the 'XP mode' sealed the deal and they plan to migrate next year. Right now they are testing with the beta and RC on a few computers and love it.

Speaking of 'XP mode'...there really is no excuse to not migrate to Windows 7, now that the Professional edition will come with a virtualized copy of XP to run any fickle, legacy apps. I'm not saying go out and buy a copy, but if you get a new PC, no need to downgrade. :|

Now to figure out how to get all of my old bookmarks back. ><

As in browser bookmarks?

Use this next time: Xmarks | Bookmark-Powered Web Discovery (http://www.xmarks.com/)

sephiroth99
05-07-2009, 11:40 AM
don't forget that XP mode needs hardware virtualisation. that means at least an AM2 AMD processor. And not all Intel Core/Core2 have hardware virtualisation, you need to check with your model number.

that said, no win7 for me (at least on my current computer) the vista64 nvidia raid driver gives me bluescreen... and I don't think they will release drivers for that old chipset (nf4)

blaze
05-07-2009, 03:59 PM
i cant get counter strike to work in open gl mode. is there some special settings i am missing????

overall everything worked right after installation (audio, nic, etc.)
i dont think i even installed a single driver other then video.

hegamiz
05-10-2009, 03:38 PM
Using W7RC x64 right now... been using it as main OS for the past 3 days. So far it's alright. Everything installed smoothly and quickly. Windows update took care of whatever drivers were needed, but seeing as how most of the hardware on my PC isn't anymore than 5 years old, that helped.

I haven't tried installing CS like the above poster, but it's something i'd like to try now. we'll see how that turns out.

Everything seems cool. I especially like the clustered tabs.
Only problem is that i can't minimize by clicking the pinned tab if there is more than one window open at a time... but that's about it so far. I'm sure there's more I just haven't dug far enough...

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e360/hegamiz/task.jpg

SochBAT
05-10-2009, 06:59 PM
My computer was built back in 2001, and has survived so much crap. SDRAM FTW>

SimpleS14
05-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Microsoft Windows 7 on track for the holiday season (http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/11/microsoft-windows-7-on-track-for-the-holiday-season/)

I will be getting this edition....

http://www.centrumxp.pl/Img/Art/Windows7/Upgrade/win7_pro.jpg

HyperTek
05-11-2009, 08:50 PM
did a fresh install over the weekend, heres my setup
http://i42.tinypic.com/160pfk3.jpg

So far so good! fast boot up. media center looks nice, though i havent used it, but has a tv changer if you have a tv tuner card installed,..

hegamiz
05-11-2009, 09:24 PM
i just found out, no google chrome... :(

HyperTek
05-11-2009, 09:47 PM
what do you mean? you cant install it? just right click and change the computability

hegamiz
05-11-2009, 11:18 PM
no, it installs alright... window opens, but it's like i have no connection or something...
haven't researched for a solution yet, but i'll do that now...

EDIT: Found out Chrome isn't supported for W7RC... well the stable version at least. Updating to the Developer version fixes it. And I didn't check, but I think Beta works as well... here's (http://dev.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel/) the link.

S14DB
05-12-2009, 07:05 AM
Do they have a non-fruity mode like XP?

SimpleS14
05-12-2009, 08:26 AM
Do they have a non-fruity mode like XP?

What are you talking about ?

S14DB
05-12-2009, 09:14 AM
What are you talking about ?

Manually change the visual effects
Windows provides several options to set the visual effects of your computer. For example, you can show shadows under menus or you can configure Windows to display all the contents of a window while you move the window on your screen.

Note Although many of the visual effects can make computer use more enjoyable by offering a more attractive interface, they can slow down your computer.

Windows provides options to turn on all visual effects options, turn off all options, or automate them. You can also restore the default settings or set your own custom options by selecting for yourself what visual effects that you want to use.

To change the visual effects, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
2. Click the Advanced tab, and then under Performance click Settings.
3. Click the Visual Effects tab, and then use one of the following methods:
* Click Let Windows choose what's best for my computer to have Windows select the visual effects.
* Click Adjust for best appearance to have Windows automatically adjust the settings for best appearance.
* Click Adjust for best performance to have Windows automatically adjust the settings for best performance.
* Click Custom, and then select the check boxes for those items that you want to turn on. Clear the check boxes for the items that you want to turn off.
4. Click OK to apply changes and to close the dialog box.

Note: Regardless of which visual effects option you select, you can always customize the setting by individually selecting or clearing items listed. If you change any item, the Custom button will automatically be selected.

SimpleS14
05-12-2009, 10:09 AM
S14DB - I don't know if you're making a rant or explaining a process.

As usual, the server OS comes out the box with all that stuff turned off. So in this case, it would be Server 2008 R2.

highwaystar22
05-12-2009, 10:49 AM
HyperTek: Super sick background. Source?

EDacIouSX
05-12-2009, 10:52 AM
i have 0 problems with windows 7. isntalled it on an old 2.66 pentium 4 computer with 1.5 gigs ram. runs pretty smooth. getting online was not an issue as it installed my wireless card off the bat.

it's basically a repackaged vista imo with some improvements. Just another way to milk consumers for money.

ryguy
05-12-2009, 12:55 PM
Has anybody here installed windows 7 from a virtual drive?

Phlip
05-12-2009, 01:36 PM
I will actually hold out on building my new computer for the final release and SP1, along with a final word on compatibility with some things I use before stepping out to it.

... final answe.

neverrain
05-16-2009, 05:02 PM
Well, gave Windows 7 RC 64bit a fair try. I realize it is a release client, but I mainly use this comp for games. Top of the line computer for gaming, all recognizable Windows hardware, pulled a 7.2 in the Experience rating (Lowest was my hard drive. Processor, RAM, Video pulled 7.8). Didn't need to install 1 driver. I installed 1 game, Fallout 3, and wasn't able to make it run for more than an hour and a half. Every time I run it, it crashes. Don't get me wrong, the OS looks great, and feels good for Windows, but I prefer my games to run over my OS looking new. I hope it's doing better with other tasks.

Any recommendations in the next 20 minutes or so before I reinstall XP?

SimpleS14
05-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Has anybody here installed windows 7 from a virtual drive?

What do you mean?

I've installed it on a virtual machine if that's what you're talking about.

Any recommendations in the next 20 minutes or so before I reinstall XP?

Have you tired XP mode ? http://lifehacker.com/5245396/set-up-and-use-xp-mode-in-windows-7

neverrain
05-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Have you tired XP mode ? Lifehacker - Set Up and Use XP Mode in Windows 7 - Windows 7 XP Mode (http://lifehacker.com/5245396/set-up-and-use-xp-mode-in-windows-7)

Checking this out now, will update.

neverrain
05-16-2009, 06:28 PM
Checking this out now, will update.

Yep, not gonna work. Won't run Windows XP with 32-bit color. Thanks for the recommendation though.

hegamiz
05-16-2009, 06:46 PM
I don't think the 7RC is up to par for gaming yet... but non the less this is the best RC yet, still running it, but then again i'm not a huge gamer... Red Alert 2 works lol

SimpleS14
05-16-2009, 09:30 PM
If anyone is curious, the RC for Server 2008 R2 (aka Windows 7 Server) is also publicly available.

Here's the public download on Microsoft's site:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=a4e21e2e-e992-4aec-9ed4-086de21632a2&displaylang=en

I currently have it running in a virtual machine.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/SimpleS14/Desktop/vm-server08.jpg

ryguy
05-16-2009, 11:08 PM
What do you mean?

I've installed it on a virtual machine if that's what you're talking about.

Like from Virtual Clone Drive. I don't have any blank dvds right now and wanted to know if I could mount the iso into a virtual drive to upgrade (i'm not going to be doing a fresh install.) Since it's a virtual drive, I dont know how Windows would handle it.

neverrain
05-17-2009, 12:26 AM
Yea, unfortunately Fallout 3 is one of the games I like to play occasionally. Not gonna wait for Microsoft to provide updates. If it had issues with Fallout 3, it's a good thing I don't play Warcraft anymore. I reinstalled XP and got about 5 hours out of it. Looks like I'll be waiting for a stabler version of Win7 64 before I decide to upgrade. At least I gave it a shot.

HyperTek
05-17-2009, 01:10 AM
HyperTek: Super sick background. Source?

i get all my wallpapers here
Backdrops - Wallpaper iPhone App from InterfaceLIFT (http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper_beta/downloads/date/any/)

they always got freaking awesome wallpapers that people submit.. all high resolution/quality. The city scape ones are freaking awesome, esp the tokyo or hong kong ones

cityscapes are sick http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper_beta/tags/339/scene/cityscape/

SimpleS14
05-17-2009, 07:50 PM
Like from Virtual Clone Drive. I don't have any blank dvds right now and wanted to know if I could mount the iso into a virtual drive to upgrade (i'm not going to be doing a fresh install.) Since it's a virtual drive, I dont know how Windows would handle it.

I just tested it out using Daemon Tools and it worked (upgrading from Vista to 7). I just had to run the setup twice because the first time required me to restart the computer before the installation could take place.