PDA

View Full Version : Mexico legalizes narcotics

az_240
05-02-2009, 04:47 AM
Mexico Senate OKs bill legalizing narcotics | senate, bill, legalizing - News - YumaSun (http://www.yumasun.com/news/senate-49789-bill-legalizing.html)

Wow how is this not making headlines... Just how corrupt is it there?

jskateborders
05-02-2009, 05:09 AM
Our future. Seriously. In a country where the people have no right to defend themselves, the police system gets corrupt, crime rises and pretty soon criminals run the country. This isn't actually because of corruption, this is a frail attempt at the government trying to take back the country. In their opinion, they are taking away the thing that puts criminals in power. Wont work, theres always an illegal way to make money. They should give citizens in Mexico the right to bear arms. Seriously, citizens will get pissed at dirty cops and criminals harrasing em and start shooting back, shit will start to clear up.
Think thats bullshit?
Right now the only people who can get guns in Mexico are criminals and police, and being that most of the cops are being paid off by the drug lords, that puts a majority of the guns with the bad guys, and this attempt to cut the food supply of the drug lords? They'll just move on to the next profitable thing. Some people are dumb as shit.

blueshark123
05-02-2009, 08:09 AM
road trip..... lol

HyperTek
05-02-2009, 11:43 AM
i was reading an article in vibe about how the drug cartels seem to murder any popular singers who mention the drug trade in their songs.. its crazy.

norcal_black240
05-02-2009, 12:51 PM
dang, that article is real? Never would of thought narcotics would be legalized in mexico even with drug cartel influenece.

SimpleS14
05-02-2009, 01:40 PM
I have to see this from another source (think CNN) before I believe this.

You know nobody is going to go cause of swine flu :keke:

drftwerks
05-02-2009, 01:44 PM
maybe they can tax it, and make the country money.
the cartels will become, fortune 500 companies.

ronmcdon
05-02-2009, 02:38 PM
According to the article (which is terribly vague in details),
The Mexican senate legalizes the right to 'possession' of a small amount of recreational drugs.
However, a wide variety of drugs is allowed.
Therefore, you can have a bit of weed, a bit of meth, a bit of herion, a bit of crack, bit of LSD etc.
No mention of other forms of regulation or taxes.

Pending further info, I doubt it'll do anything regarding the viability of the crime there.
They'll still make their profits selling/transporting their wares to North America and maybe other places.
They'll still make their profits selling firearms from the US to Mexico.
Pretty much as long as something is illegal, any black market will flourish.
Even if the substance is legal, but taxed heavily, black market will be there.
Crime is pretty much inevitable.
Legalization might reduce overall revenue of crime groups at best, but that'll just mean they'll turn to other means of making $$$, like kidnapping.

Only good (for Mexico at least) to come out of this is if they capitalize this into a tourist industry.
They're running out of oil, the factories are being moved to China, they're probably hit hard financially from the global recession, fighting crime, & now the swine flu is hurting their economy even further.
It's probably their best bet financially.

Personally I think legalizing meth & heroin is going a bit too far,
but it should be interesting how to hear of further details.
I'd like to know if there are plans to regulate this a particular way.

ronmcdon
05-02-2009, 02:44 PM
i was reading an article in vibe about how the drug cartels seem to murder any popular singers who mention the drug trade in their songs.. its crazy.

Well if that means hearing less obnoxious 'Banda' music, then that's good news indeed imo.

deolio
05-02-2009, 03:20 PM
I have to see this from another source (think CNN) before I believe this.

You know nobody is going to go cause of swine flu :keke:

LA Times Mexico to Allow Use of Drugs - Los Angeles Times (http://articles.latimes.com/2006/may/03/world/fg-legalize3)

ronmcdon
05-02-2009, 03:25 PM
LA Times Mexico to Allow Use of Drugs - Los Angeles Times (http://articles.latimes.com/2006/may/03/world/fg-legalize3)

That link's from 2006!

"Mexico to Allow Use of Drugs

By Sam Enriquez
May 03, 2006

Mexican President Vicente Fox will sign a bill that would legalize the use of nearly every drug and narcotic sold by the same Mexican cartels he's vowed to fight during his five years in office, a spokesman said Tuesday."

az_240
05-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Mexico passes bill on small-scale drugs possession | Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSN01336313)

I do not see any logical reasoning in this... There will still be drug dealers dealing the stuff and people will still shoot up only now there are no consequences if caught with a small amount....

If you do get caught with drugs that are over the weight limit you have to go to a drug counseling class which isnt shit.

All they are doing is making it easier to be a junky in Mexico

johngriff
05-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Favorite quote from complete idiot official:

"Methamphetamines are in great demand here as well as marijuana, followed by crystal"

Meth is the same as crystal

They have probably started to see huge costs in incarceration there. This "legalizing" small amounts will keep more people out of jail for drug crimes, and hopefully they will not be imprisoning so many.

Plus. They NEED those cartels, probably the last cash stream flowing into that country. So I would imagine they are not going anywhere, anytime soon.

deolio
05-02-2009, 05:29 PM
That link's from 2006!

:duh: i'm retarded...

Sil-Abc
05-02-2009, 06:18 PM
this could potentially reduce the power of drug lords because drugs are their primary, if not one of the most influential source of money for them. Since its illegal they can control prices and make a huge profit margin. By legalizing it and making it widely available would have consumers buying from anywhere they want at cheaper set prices thus reducing the drug money and power of drug lords. Of course this won't get rid of them but this could reduce gang powers, fighting, and give more power to their weak government system.

Think about it, if the US were to legalize weed and charged it at 10% of the current street prices, this would lower drug gangs and all that bullshit since most of their income comes from selling weed and other stuff and high prices. Supply and demand.

Blurryeyes
05-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Yep it's real, it was passed by both the senate and the chamber of deputies last week just a few days after the presidential decree in which now it's legal for police forces to break into private property without a warrant to ensure public safety among other things.

Some argue that this is intended to try and take back the power from druglords and some say that it's a move from the goverment to pacify possible insurrections before they go to a bigger scale; and since everyone was shitting their pants over swine flu no one seemed to notice or care about this.

SleepR 240sx
05-02-2009, 09:21 PM
I think it's a good thing for the most part. Why will people go to drug lords when they can go get a better product for cheaper at a drug store. Think about it.

Bubbles
05-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Think about it, if the US were to legalize weed and charged it at 10% of the current street prices,

Then it wouldn't be cool.

Count me out.

onepuff
05-03-2009, 12:23 AM
Cops there become corrupt because they can't even take their guns home with them. Off duty they are just regular citizens. Hard for them to resist the cartels threatening their families and shit when they have no firepower.

cc4usmc
05-03-2009, 01:29 AM
If you can't beat em, join em.

dennydizzo
05-03-2009, 02:43 AM
my girlfriend's family is from yuma,az (right along mexico border) and they say most people go overr to mexico for cheap legal drugs,glasses and contacts etc..now its goin to be for cheap herion,cocaine,and marajuana..wait a few months and tell me drug trafficing isnt goin to increase along u.s/mexico borders cities...

ronmcdon
05-03-2009, 03:28 AM
mexico needs COMMUNISM. revolucion!

goldee240
05-03-2009, 03:42 AM
narcotics > swine flu

hyped out bs

theronin
05-03-2009, 08:21 PM
wait wait wait.... drugs were illegal in Mexico? since when?

dmragecm
05-03-2009, 08:42 PM
wait wait wait.... drugs were illegal in Mexico? since when?

haha i was thinking the same thing. i coulda swore i heard like a year ago that heroin was legal in mexico

Gordo714
05-07-2009, 01:01 PM
damn this is a trip....as long as it makes it safe to go party in ROSARITO again
whos in

s142jzkillav10
05-07-2009, 10:19 PM
LOL Don't worry the US will most likely Fallow Right Behind them...........

The Gov. needs money and if they can tax Marijuana to produce the extra cash They will pass a bill.