PDA

View Full Version : for all you welders out there....

SR240DET
03-26-2003, 04:38 PM
does anybody know about welding that can clue me in on how to get started? im mainly wanting to weld pipes... and that sort... you know what im getting at.... i wanna know if anybody can help me before i actually ask some questions.... thanks in advance.....

Mark....

goodjuan
03-26-2003, 06:17 PM
I'd be very interested in knowing these things as well. How great would it be to be able to weld your own intercooler pipes, exhaust, various brakets...etc.

veilsideS14
03-26-2003, 07:15 PM
Be a little bit more specific about what you're asking. Do you have questions about equipment, technique, etc. ? I've welded most common metals before (steel, aluminum, stainless, etc.) so I can give you a relatively good idea if you give me a little more info.

SR240DET
03-26-2003, 08:39 PM
veilsideS14.. thanks for replying.. :D yes.. i wanna know about what equipment and techniques are best for welding... steel, aluminum, and stainless.. well stuff to make stuff like exhaust piping... and manifolds.. im not cheap or anything.. i just wanna gain some peice of mind from this.... and learn to do things for me self... i just wanna know what equipment should set me straight for welding that kinda metal.. and possibly how it should be done... if i need to be more specific.. let me know... haha.. thanks.. :D

veilsideS14
03-26-2003, 11:17 PM
The most important thing to ask yourself is what kinds of stuff are you going to be welding. Is it just going to be exhaust tubing or do you plan on doing thicker stuff?

If you just plan on doing exhaust tubing and nothing thicker, there are a couple options of welders to go with. I would recommend a MIG (wire feed) welder for these types of jobs. Miller and Lincoln make the best ones on the market. For jobs like this, you are looking at a ~130 amp welder. There are two types of MIG welders out there too. One has the capability of using gas shielded wire and one is strictly for flux-cored wire. You are more limited to your choices of wire with the flux-cored one. I'd always recommend getting a welder that has the gas-shielding capability.

If you plan on going thicker stock, you need more amps. Of course, you can use a smaller welder and just go over your work a few times to get the same effect but that always sucks and you can introduce contaminants into your weld that way too.

I've got a Miller Millermatic 210 welder and it does more than I would probably use it for. Lots of thick stuff and lots of thin stuff. Remember, a welder is an investment that you will probably have for life. If you buy a good one, you won't regret it.

You can pick up a smaller 130 amp welder for anywhere from $400 to $600. Mine was about $1200 plus gas.

http://24.163.136.155/gary/02142003/image041.jpg

SR240DET
03-27-2003, 09:00 AM
nice veilsideS14 thanks for clearing that up for me.... ill probly just look into a 130 amp setup...

and about the gas.. what is it? and how much does it cost to fill it up?

Kreator
03-27-2003, 10:41 AM
Just a note (for starters) www.harborfreight.com is selling a 90amp mig welder (electrical) for ~$150shipped. So for starters (before u spend lotsa money) i'd buy that, weld for a while and then decide what exactly you want. It all will come down to experience in the end.

PS I'm using that exact welder for all my intake/exhaust tubing + all the misc brackets/connections i have to make outa steel along the way.

SR240DET
03-27-2003, 11:16 AM
whats the difference between using "GAS" and "FLUX CORE"?

oh yeah.. i will be looking into that 90amp mig.....

SR240DET
03-27-2003, 06:31 PM
contact me on aim if you want...

aim : TouchMeHotStuff

masta
03-27-2003, 09:26 PM
If I were you I would take a class at a Community College that has an Auto program. You can get all of your answers there and some techniques.

SR240DET
03-28-2003, 09:17 AM
i suppose your right masta... but i dont have the time for a class right now... i was hoping to teach my self andwith the help of some people that know what there talking about..

240Stilo
03-28-2003, 01:04 PM
Here's some more info on TIG and MIG welding if you want to take a look.
http://www.weldingengineer.com/

SR240DET
03-28-2003, 05:51 PM
:D thanks you very much 240Stilo.....

240racer
03-28-2003, 11:21 PM
I have that harbor freight welder too, it's kinda a piece of junk and I'm used to TIG welding, but it did the trick for the quick and dirty stuff that I had to do with my custom turbo setup. BTW, I used a real nice TIG welder at work to weld my stainless manifold and intercooler tubes. I didn't have gas shielding on my MIG (I consier a MIG without gas a wire-feed but whatever) so it makes a big mess and I didn't want to weld the intercooler pipes with the MIG. I did do my DP with it though, worked fine. Get gas if you are concerned about the welds: looking good, sealing for pressure, being strong. I do not regret buying the welder, it was like $186 or something and I am working on getting a gas setup for it. It has the capability, I just didn't have it last fall when I did the turbo. Once I get the gas setup, I'll do all my exhaust and intercooler pipes with it. I still won't do stainless or Al with it, because I'd just rather TIG them.

SR240DET
03-29-2003, 12:08 AM
240racer if you were to get a welder/(kit?) what would you get? my main focus is welding IC piping, IC *end tanks*, exhaust, intake.. just piping.... i guess mainly steel.. the end tanks and IC it self would be AL... but i hear it just looks dirty when you weld it... but that doesnt matter... i cant find a gas welder for my price rage to just test out the welder... ( im new at this...) i found a Flux-core welder made by MIG... for 150 shipped... (thanks Kreator ) but for that sorta stuff... would you just go for gas or flux-core? it doesnt matter how it looks.. as long as it holds.. haha.... maby i need to do some more research cause i dont think i know "exactly" what im talking about yet....

masta
03-29-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by SR240DET
i suppose your right masta... but i dont have the time for a class right now... i was hoping to teach my self andwith the help of some people that know what there talking about.. Well you should at least find someone who will have the time to take you as an apprentice or something. There are lots of dangers.

For instance I heard that portable plastic lighters will explode like dynamite when exposed to the heating/temperature environment of a welder and can blow your leg away if it was kept in your pocket. Wierd stuff like that.

Be careful

SR240DET
03-29-2003, 09:48 PM
im actually glad you told me about that masta.... but i am trying to quit smokin...... haha....

anyways.... i see what you are saying.... ill ask around for people that weld... and see if i can just tag along... see how things are done right... and that sorta stuff...

thanks again everybody....:)