PDA

View Full Version : thinking about going to uti

tuner92
04-27-2009, 09:15 PM
what do you guys think about uti?
is it worth it to go there for that much money, i herd alot of good and bad things about it. would i just be better to go change oil and work my way up

kunihongo
04-27-2009, 09:20 PM
i would just go to a local technical college. cheaper and more hands on experience than uti.

240srhatch
04-27-2009, 09:36 PM
I went to uti, just find a local technical program like kunihongo said and start as a lube guy and work your way up.. UTI was way too much money.

Prok0
04-27-2009, 09:37 PM
Alot of community colleges also offer tech/mechanic courses and certification programs, same shit you get from UTI, waaaay cheaper.

The only benefit to going to UTI I can see is if you were to go into one of the specialized programs, like BMW or Mercedes, and work for one of those dealers when you get out, if your just trying to work at some local shop or like a toyota/honda/nissan dealer, I would just save your money, go to community college and take courses there, and get a job at a dealer as a lube tech and then just move up once you get certs.

Mangudai
04-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Alot of community colleges also offer tech/mechanic courses and certification programs, same shit you get from UTI, waaaay cheaper.

The only benefit to going to UTI I can see is if you were to go into one of the specialized programs, like BMW or Mercedes, and work for one of those dealers when you get out, if your just trying to work at some local shop or like a toyota/honda/nissan dealer, I would just save your money, go to community college and take courses there, and get a job at a dealer as a lube tech and then just move up once you get certs.

Spots on. But damn bro you sure you wanna be a mechanic right now?

miggypq21
04-27-2009, 09:43 PM
It really depends on how much money you want to make in your career.

To be completely honest you won't get very far trying to start off by changing oil.

I'm a technicians apprentice over here at our local Chevrolet dealership and I'm enrolled in the Auto tech program in our high school. Have two ASE certifications and working on two more.

Also enrolled in UTI for this fall, most if not all trade schools teach the same principals, I chose UTI for the equipment and the more up to date programs and scanners they're using.

I'd say check out a few local schools first as well as UTI before you make a big decision like this. Get as much information as you can and take a bit of time to decide what's right for you and what school can benefit you the most. Talk to a representive from each school your thinking about if you can.

Hope this helped some.

coww-cho!!!!!
04-27-2009, 09:44 PM
I heard its good and all depending what classes you take you can take your car in to work too, but this is what i heard from lube guys working oil lube places
the reason why they ended up working at an oil lube place is because they said they ended up being lazy and expected everything to come to them

so basically said if you go there .....better get your moneys worth. my friend was ball'n after he got out of there. He worked at Mitsubishi but he wanted to go to school to become an engineer in architects so he quit that job to get more moneys

oh and another thing some shops would take experienced mechanic people rather than educated people

mademedoit
04-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Go to a community college because their you get college credits and work towards an associate degree.

cxlumpy
04-27-2009, 10:36 PM
im going to uti in august i know its going to be a lot of money but all you're doing is going to be paying for the name. i could do well in a community tech school and be #1, or i can be #1 at uti and have a company compare..you decide. But seriously do what you want to do.

^ at the avondale campus you can get a degree and you can transfer those to a local university or college.

Silverstreek
04-27-2009, 11:15 PM
i graduated from the avondale campus.

you get an associates of occupational studies upon graduation, but only at this campus.
i think there are good things and bad things about uti as well, but i can only base my opinions and such off the avondale campus.
there are quite a few manufacturers scan tools to choose from. power and performance classes were great. all the electronic and diagnosis classes were great, pay attention in them especially when talking about obd 2. get your 608 and 609 certifications when you're in the a/c class, it's cheap to get them while you're in that class and one's even open book.
as for the manufacturer's programs, bmw and mercedes have both had to down size to a few campuses and from what it sounded like as i was graduating, audi and volvo are doing the same. they weren't quitting the programs, just having to downsize/move to other campuses and/or have fewer or no classes for this year and maybe next year.
i didn't like some of the bs like having to take service writing (which i tested out of, but i still think it's bs, why do you need to know how to do service writing to wrench on automobiles). some of the instructors weren't very helpful and when you have a sub, it's a 50/50 chance of them either being better than your actual instructor or being a complete idiot. i felt there was way too much class time and not enough going out and doing lab work, which when given the chance, work on your own or classmate's cars, the lab clip cars suck and get boring after a while.

i'd say it's worth going, if anything to help prep you for ase's and getting a few certifications here and there. and if you can get into a manufacturer's program that you want into, then i'd guess that's worth it too. the $1000 tool vaucher is nice, i actually didn't choose from their list, i went through the catalog online and chose all my own stuff as i already have the basic mechanic tools.

it's really what you make of it and you get out of it what you put into it.

OMSIN
04-28-2009, 12:35 AM
I'm going to UTI at the Huston location. My friend rob went, long story short he told me you get your moneys worth. He's working at Austin Subaru and making $19.00 an hour starting. He says that's $3.00 dollars an hour more than the guys who didn't go to UTI that are just starting.

az_240
04-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Do not go to UTI. Go to a local community college. It is much cheaper and you get basically the same training. My friend went through a program for Toyota at the community college to get his ASE certs and he is now making $15 starting for every hours worth of work he does at a Toyota dealership.

darkevildrifter
04-28-2009, 05:13 PM
I went there wasnt worth time ...each class cost so much, dress code suck, ex-cons for teachers, ricers glore, you will get a better cheaper education at a CC then you will at uti...unless you wanna be a oil tech uti grad...

ThatGuy
04-28-2009, 08:10 PM
What does this thread have to do with S or Z Chassis?

Moved to OT--->

sentiumprogram
04-28-2009, 09:51 PM
not worht it. Im glad I didnt get stuck going there. look. automotive stuff isnt rocket science, so Im basically saying you can get the equivilent education from a community college. Be careful with thoe for-profit colleges. their marketing is pretty enticing and they'll make you forget about the down-side of things and keep telling you that you'll flag an hours worth of time in 10-20 min.

truth is, if no one is brining their car in to get serviced, you're not making money. I believe in the auto mechanics professions, I just dont believe anyone should have to pay 30K+ for that kind of education.

RHD95S14
04-28-2009, 10:01 PM
I didn't see anyone else offer this advice, so i will. i graduated in the top ten of lincoln tech last july. Perfect attendance 3.9gpa all that bullshit. TALK TO CURRENT STUDENTS before you decide to go. Great waste of 17k for me because everything they said was bullshit. And with the automotive business the way it is, i would STRONGLY suggest doing something else. You really won't regret it.

LongGrain
04-28-2009, 10:10 PM
my friends went there and said it was a waste of time/money

now they are stuck making $8-9 an hour as dealership techs right along side people who DIDNT pay 30k for schooling...

MeowMR2
04-28-2009, 11:23 PM
Don't waste your money on UTI. Youll be in debt for a long long time. I went to cypress college for the T-ten program and spent about 5k at most. And i went to go work for toyota and well Started at the bottom, but my word of advice is Protect your feet,ears,eyes and lungs! It's a dirty job and make sure you have a back up plan. I quit working for toyota after a few years and moved on to a better education. I always wanted to become a mechanic cause i just loved working on cars and such. But in the end you find out, you like working on cars for a hobbie and not for work.

TheWolf
04-28-2009, 11:26 PM
The UTI grads I've met from orlando. Were all either flunkies or retards. I haven't met anyone who's graduated and understands why "Code 60" is thrown. They just follow the computer blindly.

Ex. Car threw a AC belt then stalled. Quit running. ECU says Crank angle sensor out.
Tech replaces sensor. Sensor still out. Reams out Napa guy for bring a broken sensor. Insists a new one be brought out asap. Replacement arrives. Ecu says sensor still out. Can't believe 2 sensors would be DOA out of box.

I can't believe he didn't see 5" up from the sensor plug. The vehicle harness was cut from the belt that was thrown. One butt splice later and it was running on the old customers crank sensor. Took a 5 min repair and made it last all day.

andisan
04-29-2009, 01:17 AM
I got a friend who graduated from there and his brother was going to go too, but he told him that community college would of gotten him the same education he got from them.
So im going to sign up for some classes at my CC since its cheap.

SochBAT
04-29-2009, 02:12 AM
<Guitar Riff>

1-800 Dial UTI!

(I know,its supposed to be UEI, fuck it.)

soreballz
04-29-2009, 05:28 AM
Don't do it. Waste of money. Go to a CC.

blackej7
04-29-2009, 06:36 AM
I went to SIU Carbondale. They have the #1 automotive program. We had lots of OEM's come for interviews/internships, etc. It's a 4 year program and you graduate with a bachelors degree in automotive technology.

With a bachelors degree, you have way more options than you would with UTI. I walked into a Chevy dealer a while back and was hired on the spot.

I also went to a Honda dealer and worked as a service adviser for a while, before I even graduated.

Now I work for Eaton Corporation and troubleshoot 18speed truck transmissions...........(?)

If you wanna be a tech, start off small, and work your way up. Show/prove to them that you want to learn. Care about your work, and you'll climb up the ladder in time for sure.

Bachelors degree = way more options.

thesimpleS13
04-29-2009, 08:31 AM
one of my friends graduated from there, and he's already considering going to a community college....just make sure it's what you want to do before you go along with your decision

SexPanda
04-29-2009, 10:11 AM
IMO its not worth it. I went to the local technical college for 2 years, and I can run circles around people I know who went to UTI when it comes to actually troubleshooting problems.

Granted they use the technical names of all of the sensors and what not better than I do.
Them: "Thats the intake air temperature sensor"
Me: "You mean the air temp majigger?"

Me: Bottom end
Them: Rotating crank assembly

ANVIL
04-29-2009, 10:26 AM
i graduated there and im doing fine. when i got out i got $2-$3 more than other new hires just because i went there and ive never had any problems finding work, even when I had 3 years or less shop experence. i even got accepted to the Audi school but decided against it because i wanted to come back to AK. one thing that they dont tell you is you cant pick what location you go to when you are accepted into the dealer programs. some dealerships even offer loan payback programs for UTI students/grads. IMO its what you put into it that really makes a difference. in all honestly I could have put in more but im not a total idiot and im doing ok. i make about 50k a year 5 years out of the program. granted its not baller money but im very satisfied. i paid a little over 16k to attend UTI. a few things i regret was not working in a shop while attending and taking advanted of the tool discounts you get. i think if you work in a shop while going, you will understand everything a lot better especially if youre clueless about doing diag going in, which i was. its really about the effort you put in... im not going to say you cant get the same knowledge from a CC because I know you can, but IMO my money was well worth it. ill warn you though, about 80% or more of the people there are idiots who complain, cheat, wine ect... those are the peoples storys that you hear.

BrokenWhite240
05-01-2009, 11:59 AM
TOTALL WASTE OF MONEY!!! I just grad in November from UTI and I payed $20,000 to make $10 hr at a dodge dealership. I'm already thinking about going back to College and taking something else besides Auto theres no money in being a tech unless you have every single ASE and are very very good at what you do.

Uti is alot of reading and taking notes very vey little hand on training. They dont really teach alot of diag which is what I do just about every day at my job. They don't tech you how to change misc parts like water pumps, timing belts, serp belts etc. Put it this way I know kids that where in my brakes class that never changed pads or cut a rotor and still got an A in the class. Most of the time you fall alseep in class from how boring it is.

Imagine being to school at 6:30 and you can't be late or you get an infraction. Then when you get there at 6:30..then looking at slides and taking notes till 1:30pm with only a 15 min and 30 min break. Honestly when I got employed at my job he didn't even know what UTI was. And when you grad they don't help you find a job they give you some reference info and let you be on your way. When you go for a visit there they salesmen yes SALESMAN they are not teachers and they know nothing about the classes, they are just there to bring you in and get your money. UTI is more of a buisness then a school..they actually have stocks that you could buy for UTI rediculous right??

All in all bro don't waste your money listen to these guys go to CC for Auto I wish I would have and now I'm paying 20,000 when I could have payed less then half for CC and been better off. Also just go to youtube.com and search UTI there's alot of videos of kids recording what happens there. And I know ppl will say well it's only the kids who don't care do that. Well that's not the case I seen ppl with 4.0's in everyclass fall asleep.

speedgod^s13
05-01-2009, 12:29 PM
A lot of it doesn't even depend on the school you are going to. My theory is, if you go to school to learn, and do just that, you will succeed. Nothing wrong with community colleges, everything you need is there. It's up to you, if you want to take all it has to offer. I think a lot of major colleges are overrated anyhow.

mademedoit
05-06-2009, 12:20 AM
YouTube - Average UTI Student (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKjYWoMKDiI&feature=related) YouTube - UTI Student falls over trying to catch candy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIjCpyVlgBo&feature=related) YouTube - Late to Class...Again!!!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JgxyATB9SQ&feature=related) YouTube - Late to Class at UTI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXLEn9BErkQ&feature=related) You don't have to put up with this bullshit at cc, and there are GOOD looking women who go to cc. Not in auto classes but you can walk to the other classes without looking like some douche in a uniform.

Drifterxxl180
05-06-2009, 12:46 AM
Being that you are In Il you can go to Lincoln Tech... ImO UTI is a waste at a CC you get more hands on training with vehicles. Not that you can't at UTI but from my tour of UTI it seemed as if you spent more time in a classroom than the lab working with vehicles. Like others have said it's what you put into it. I make good money as a tech and I went to a CC. To Clarify what blackej7 (http://zilvia.net/f/members/blackej7.html) said from SIU your degree is a Bachelor's of Science so there will be alot more Gen Ed's involed I spoke with the advisor (Christina Matuschka) after reading what you stated. Yes you can make more money probably with an Bachlor degree.

325irollin
05-06-2009, 04:40 AM
LOL @ Paying $20,000 just to get a $10-$15/hr job. A labor intensive job at that.

Devius
05-06-2009, 09:39 AM
Where can i find more info on CC

xblack240x
05-06-2009, 06:56 PM
Please save the big wad of cash. I went to UTI, definitely not worth what it was. I'm glad I was working on the side the whole time at different shops. Go to a CC as everyone else said. I have friends that went to CC's instead, comparing what I was learning to what they were learning I would have to say it was the same, and their teachers cared/knew more than mine did. Only good thing I can say about UTI is that the one I went to was brand new so it was all new equipment, but mainly you do use up to date stuff.

Don't go, please.