View Full Version : Computer help: Windows on Mac

irritatedmax
04-27-2009, 06:56 AM
Please help!!!!

Here is the setup:
-Mac OS X 10.1.4.11 Tiger with intel core duo
-I know how to create a partition using the install disc
-I know I will erase my mac hard drive by partitioning

Will windows start installation automatically on the blank partition if I put the run disk in? If I turn on the computer and push the "option" button it should switch partitions; however, nothing will be on the new partition to load or will it start intalling windows if the disc is in?

I already read about Boot Camp for mac but they stopped support for Tiger and it is now only available for Leopard. I don't want to buy Leopard to do this. How do I go about it?

Yes, this is a car forum but there are computer people out there.

LeftNutOfGowd
04-27-2009, 08:03 AM
Why do you wanna put windows on a mac

irritatedmax
04-27-2009, 08:55 AM
Why do you wanna put windows on a mac

run nistune.

Blurryeyes
04-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Do you absolutely need it to run natively or a virtual machine will do? if so then VMWARE is the way to go.

irritatedmax
04-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Do you absolutely need it to run natively or a virtual machine will do? if so then VMWARE is the way to go.

you know, that i am not 100% sure about. i would think a virtual machine would work. i was looking at parallels. i just need to be able to download and install the software. i have no familiarity with either product so advice is appreciated. i would really rather not pay the 80 bucks for a program.

anybody have the link to the tiger beta version of boot camp?

lflkajfj12123
04-27-2009, 04:34 PM
you need to update your osx for one...

irritatedmax
04-27-2009, 04:44 PM
you need to update your osx for one...

read my first post. i don't want leopard. i know boot camp is no longer supported on tiger. i want a way to install without buying leopard for boot camp.

lflkajfj12123
04-27-2009, 04:47 PM
in that case

Install Vista on a MacBook WITHOUT BootCamp - Derek Hatchard blogs on (http://derekh.com/index.php/2008/06/12/install-vista-on-a-macbook-without-bootcamp/)

irritatedmax
04-27-2009, 05:47 PM
that looks a little more promising. thanks. i am not sure how familiar you are with it, but does my tiger install disk have the same needed drivers that he pulled from the leopard 10.5 disk? not sure if 10.4 came with the same drivers. something tells me no since it did not come with bootcamp.

flip3d
04-27-2009, 06:48 PM
Why do people buy from Apple if they're just going to go back to using Windows?

Ugh. Fuckin' brand loyalty.

HyperTek
04-27-2009, 06:51 PM
he just wants to run 1 program..

irritatedmax
04-27-2009, 07:54 PM

i have a windows desktop; however, it is a little more hassle to bring with in the car for tuning sessions. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

he just wants to run 1 program..

exactly, nistune is only available for download as a .exe file which only works in windows.

flip3d
04-27-2009, 08:12 PM
use wine...

irritatedmax
04-28-2009, 07:42 AM
use wine...

it was a thought. i came across it a while back but was slightly deterred due to lack of support/current development. i am not sure if that is the case, but it looked like most of these programs lost support when bootcamp was released. however, i just found this:

Installing Wine on Mac OS X (http://davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/)

which makes it seem like the program is doing well and there is new support. Wine's website for those interested:

User Guide (http://darwine.sourceforge.net/docs/user-doc.xml)

on that note, there is another emulation software package called Q that i found that essentially does the same thing. i forgot their website but it had pretty comprehensive install instructions and a neat display. both of the above are free downloads from what i saw.

i realize this is not for everyone but figured i would keep it updated since i am sure there are other tiger users out there who want to tune using their computers!

yokotas13
04-28-2009, 02:02 PM

you are a complete idiot
i can name a huge list of widely used programs that need windows. so small minded