PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Install Problem

steve_o1989
04-24-2009, 05:31 PM
Over the last few days I have been slowly working on changing my clutch.

I got to installing the transmission today. After wrestling with it for too long to get it into place, I got it in. The first time I got it into the right position, it slid on, so it's not like I had it going off and on a shit load of times, the trouble was just getting it up there.

Now that I got it on though, it doesn't want to go on all the way. I have about 1/8"-3/16 between the transmission and the block. I tried wiggling the tail around for like 15min trying to get it to go on all the way, and it doesn't want to budge anymore.

So, my question is, is this going to close up as I tighten the bolts, or do I need to get it completly tight up to the block?

If it needs to be right up to the block, is there anytricks for doing this? Moving the tail around only got me so far and isn't doing anything anymore.

Bigsyke
04-24-2009, 06:09 PM
I had the same thing on saturday. - it was the dowel pins.

What I did was get the bolts all in, loosen the engine mounts. Make sure you have the trans crossmember installed so the engine/tranny is at the correct AOA.

Then usually if it doesnt go its because of the dowel. So by using the bolts to ensure its aligned 100%, do NOT torque them this way, take a hammer and lightly tap the drivers side where the larger dowel pin is. Once it makes its way in, the bolts should prevent the tranny from wagging and causing an invalid AOA -angle of attack.

You could also use a small jack where the tranny meets the engine to slightly lift any unevenly rotated part of the bellhousing, to ensure your tapping is effectly going to place the bellhousing into the dowel pins. press the dust cover against the engine block so you can see if the main dowel pin is spot on.

Then start tapping each side. The more I went back and forth the bellhousing sucked itself to the block. I had about 1-2mm left so I did a crisscross tighten to finish.

Once it was 100% on there I torqued to I believe 36lbs in a crisscross pattern. However as the bellhousing pressed against the engine you may have to retorque all the bolts 1 last time.

Your atleast in a good spot. It took me 2 days to even get there with 3 jacks slowly lifting the tranny into place, on a hill. Most of the time the tranny fell on my arm.

steve_o1989
04-25-2009, 02:43 AM
Haha yeah man, I had the tranny fall on me a couple times. Needless to say after 2 hours under there fighting with it, and then getting it into place but not getting it on, I just had to walk away. Hopefully I will have it wrapped up tomorrow though.

Thanks for the help. That was exactly what I was looking for.

repda916
04-25-2009, 02:49 AM
what i did was, put the trany in to where the big shaft was in the block. had a jack on the smaller side of the trany (under where the sifter goes) and kicked the bitch in.