PDA

View Full Version : fafc question!

sparticus102
04-20-2009, 09:05 PM
ok so im fixing to slap on a turbo on my stock ka and im using a fafc module so all im wanting to know is if its going to be ok with that or if theres anything i need to know before i do that so if anyone has done this before some feedback would be awesome!

s13boy89
04-20-2009, 09:10 PM
hey first off dont turbo if you dont know what a safc is and go to ka-t.org then read

whyrun?
04-20-2009, 09:11 PM
what in the hell is a facf?

heard of a SAFC?

what mods are you running?

way to go on elaborating. :shakes head :

Xbroke_kidX
04-20-2009, 09:19 PM
you should sell your car and drive an automatic saturn.
done.

whyrun?
04-20-2009, 09:23 PM
you should sell your car and drive an automatic saturn into a wall.
done.

fixed it for ya lad.

sparticus102
04-21-2009, 05:14 PM
ok my bad my typing skills are a little off and i do know what it does but i keep getting different opinions on what i should do so should i just use the SAFC lol or should i use it and tune it? by the way the man that said i should drive a saturn, i work at saturn so thats a no to your statement!

whyrun?
04-21-2009, 05:49 PM
go rom tune. socket it and chip it. safc is just hacking and eventually runs out.

slick_s13
04-21-2009, 08:19 PM
eventually runs out? like the ecu eventually corrects its self over time or what?

whyrun?
04-21-2009, 08:28 PM
you can only hack a maf so far. i personally do not feel safe running my built car with only a "hack" for tuning. thats why i sold my SAFC and went rom tune.

khilgers
04-21-2009, 08:33 PM
should i just use the SAFC lol?

or

should i use it and tune it?

aren't you asking the same question? I'm running an SAFC2 on a mostly stock S14 SR20. It's not the greatest tuning device in the world, but it worked with the budget that I had. Do some more research about it, and do what fits in your budget. Do it right the first time and save yourself some headaches down the line.

4x4le
04-21-2009, 08:33 PM
timing is more important that the air fuel ratio and with a safc your taking your already bad for turbo timing and screwing it up some more.

slick_s13
04-21-2009, 08:49 PM
well, i know that they can be dangerous if you dont know what your doing, but what about getting it dyno tuned by a pro? there are a few pretty big successes with using the safc2 and wideband setup. granted that its tuned professionally of corse. especially at like low boost.

4x4le
04-21-2009, 09:26 PM
They are dangerous no matter what man. Anyone that agrees to tune you on one should not be considered a pro. I dont car if they tune you on 2 dynos, it isnt going to help. What you do to your timing is impossible to avoid, and you have no direct control of your timing. Its just effected directly with your changes to the air fuel ratio.

Look, dont go spend money in parts to go fast for a "tuner car" and then not properly tune in order to get the parts to work properly. I see too many people spend a fortuine in parts and then skimp so horribly on the most important part of the performance build. Many people simply dont tune the ecu because it isnt a part they can pop their hood and show off with is the most illigocial way of thinking I have ever heard of.

I would tell you to run stock injectors and run a fmu (which is stupid bad and dumb) before I would ever tell you that a safc is worth anything more than a paper weight.

edit: Im also wondering what these big successes are with the safc?
Man, air fuel ratios are so easy to get right it isnt funny, but where do you think the power and safty is actually made? Its all about proper timing.

slick_s13
04-21-2009, 09:50 PM
jordan. from ka-t.org. seems to help him up to 350whp. and im shooting for 250whp tops. this is on a sohc too.

slick_s13
04-21-2009, 09:52 PM
oh, and also, i would be getting it tuned at turbochargers.com. they've been around for 30 years and know ALOT about what they're doing.

4x4le
04-21-2009, 10:02 PM
Well if you made up your mind already there was no need to ask. I say bad idea and I stand behind that. If you have a shop with lots of tuning experience why wouldnt you have them tune it right?

This 350whp car that is tuned on a stock ecu and safc, well I would really like to see the dyno graph for it and see how well it actually runs. What I would really like to see is how much more power it would actually make with a proper tune. I know it would last longer.

slick_s13
04-21-2009, 10:09 PM
well just go to ka-t.org. its a featured car lol. and from what i see, runs great.
and im really not trying to be a jerk, but im actually really glad that you replied, because i didnt even think about timing. however i can slightly adjust timing at the dist.
at any rate, im glad that you gave me some constructive criticism, and and if it does fail i'll be talking to you about some nistune lol

i guess im just the kinda guy that likes for people to tell me that something wont work. so that i can really put it to the test and do the research and find facts that i would not have otherwise known.

thanks man

4x4le
04-21-2009, 10:22 PM
Im too tired to do it right now , but im going to find a old thread on another forum where I showed how a safc effects the timing on a sr20det if you go for good air fuel ratios instead of the stupid rich stock values. On a ka its even worse but I dont want to go through the trouble of that again. Just remind me later and Ill dig up the info for you. If your stuck on the safc your really going to need to retard the base timing but that will give you low idle and cruise timing and worse fuel milage, and you will also fire atdc during decell if that bothers you.