PDA

View Full Version : reverse light on when i brake =/

mrjeffr0
04-17-2009, 01:44 PM
so ive been having these problems, not sure if they are related....

my driver side reverse light comes on when i brake.
driver side turn signal does not work (jdm kouki)
when i go into reverse, only the driver side reverse light comes on.

all bulbs are fine. checked some fuses and they are good.

what gives??

RurouniMidnight
04-17-2009, 03:52 PM
Thats weird same thing happened to me this past weekend i just unplugged the reverse light because i don't have them wired up to come on when i reverse anyhow.

ixfxi
04-17-2009, 10:13 PM
shitty wiring

Silverstreek
04-18-2009, 11:45 AM
it's wiring. you've got a short to power somewhere. time to get wiring schematics and start tracing wires.

reaxion
04-18-2009, 11:46 AM
^^
short to power. get your hands on a diagram and start checking connections/possible opens

mrjeffr0
04-18-2009, 09:11 PM
daaaaaaaang, and where could i find these diagrams???

ixfxi
04-19-2009, 11:53 AM
dont fuck with diagrams

take apart your wiring and look for cut wires or touching wires, simple as that.

its much easier than you think. if you have a friend who knows how to use a multimeter, have him teach you the simple way of resistance checking a circuit for short with another wire. very very simple, even a monkey like you could do it. :-)

idlafie
04-20-2009, 02:29 AM
dont fuck with diagrams

take apart your wiring and look for cut wires or touching wires, simple as that.

its much easier than you think. if you have a friend who knows how to use a multimeter, have him teach you the simple way of resistance checking a circuit for short with another wire. very very simple, even a monkey like you could do it. :-)

Hahahahahahaha........ROTFLMAO!!!...

Don't listen to iXFXi!!!...He HATES any type of instructions!!!...ESPECIALLY WIRING INSTRUCTIONS!!!...Hahahahaha...

Your wiring diagrams / schematics can be found in your Factory Service Manual, (FSM). If you use the SEARCH function here on Zilvia you should be able to find one posted online here somewhere for your year S14.

Since the REVERSE lights and your TURN signals operated on different circuits, they shouldn't affect each other like they are now. HOWEVER, since the stock taillights SHARE a common ground within the tail light assembly, a bad ground wire may be the cause of your problem. For some unknown reason it seems the plastic / wiring / connectors in the taillights go bad over time. I've seen it happen in several 240sx's from S13s to S14s. And in some of those times, the fuses won't even blow. Go figure.....

Anyhow, if you personally know iXFXi, pester him to put you in touch with me. He knows how to get ahold of me.

ID

GSXRJJordan
04-20-2009, 02:42 AM
^^^ You're on the right track.

What you don't realize until you look @ the wiring diagram is that the two pins are right next to each other in the SMJ (Super Multiple Junction), in the driver's side kickpanel. You've most likely got some wires touching back there, or something actually in there shorting out the two pins.

ixfxi
04-20-2009, 09:32 AM
my bed is not on the SMJ, my bet is on the tail light connector(s). unplug the connectors and test one by one. the one that you remove will probably stop sending power to the reverse light, revealing the culprit.

good 5 minute way of checking your shit-spec wiring

ps: never listen to diego. NEVER. :-)

sileighty83
04-20-2009, 09:34 AM
check your reverse light harness that's hooked up to your tranny. It could be going bad and needs a replacement. cheap fix too.

projectRDM
04-20-2009, 10:00 AM
check your reverse light harness that's hooked up to your tranny. It could be going bad and needs a replacement. cheap fix too.

That would have nothing to do with the OP's problem since there's nothing related to the turn signals circuits anywhere until you move inside the car.

sileighty83
04-20-2009, 10:20 AM
just trying to help geez!

I had a problem with my reverse lights before and that fixed it.

projectRDM
04-20-2009, 12:18 PM
just trying to help geez!

I had a problem with my reverse lights before and that fixed it.

But did your problem involve the turn signals acting weird? Nope. Nothing wrong with trying to help but offering advice on something that's completely unrelated doesn't help, it just clutters the thread and confuses people.

ixfxi
04-20-2009, 09:34 PM
father russ is correct (as usual), offer good advice or no advice. no advice is better than WRONG advice.

the reverse light switch in the transmission has nothing to do with the brake light circuit.

mrjeffr0
04-27-2009, 10:36 PM
finally got a chance to mess with the reverse lights today (climbed into the trunk)...didn't exactly see anything out of the ordinary, but im not giving up!

i did double check my turn signal and i realized that i had wired it wrong :duh:, so at least that's fixed.