PDA

View Full Version : Couple questions (exhaust leak, tranny/engine noise, etc.)

Nissan87
04-16-2009, 09:52 PM
I recently got a new 240sx with about 200k on the chassis, and got a few problems.

I got a baseball-sized rust hole under the rocker panel on the driver's side left rail, right under the rear bolt. I'm wondering on how much I should be expecting to pay to get that fixed, and also if anyone here can do the job.

Also, everytime I turn on the car, I get a weird high-pitched shrill. It makes the noise when I rev' the engine in neutral without the clutch pedal depressed, and only sometimes makes the noise when I push in the clutch pedal while reversing or w/e. However, it doesn't make any noise when I'm accelerating, driving normally, or idling (maybe it's just that I can't hear it). This might be irrelevant but during idle, I can hear a slight "marble rolling in a can" sound from the belts, which leads me to believe that it could be the belts that need replacement (previous owner stated that he replaced all the belts). I've read on another forum about a guy hearing the same type of noise from his engine and people told him it's probably his throw-out bearing from his clutch (previous owner also stated that the clutch is a brand new oem replacement).

I also recently noticed an exhaust leak yesterday when I turned on the car, I noticed there was a spray of orange and yellow/brown liquid that came out of the tailpipe. Is that normal, or should I get the engine checked out? The engine has about 130k on it and it's a '97 KADE.

Lastly, I need to replace the rack & pinion and want to know if it can be a DIY job.

Thanks in advance.

herbieS13
04-18-2009, 08:43 AM
sounds like your belts need to be tightened, the "exaust leak" is not normal and yes replacing your rack&pinion is a DIY job

murda-c
04-18-2009, 08:56 AM
The marble rolling noise is your timing chain guides, the squeal is your belts, the liquid out of your tailpipe is most likely rusty water, and the rack and pinion isn't too complicated, just time consuming and you'll need an alignment.

Index of /FSM/240sx (http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/240sx/) factory service manual if you don't have one.