PDA

View Full Version : Calfornia is number 1 again

RiversideS13
04-14-2009, 08:14 PM
California number one when it comes to vehicles -- for thieves, that is.

For the second year in a row, and the fifth of the last six years, Modesto is the top city in the country for vehicle thefts, according to the National Insurance Crime Bureau, with 829 stolen cars per 100,000 people.

Overall, thefts dropped nationwide from 2007 to 2008 -- but California dominates the list of favorite cities for auto thieves, with 6 of the top 10 spots.

“The good news is, we’re seeing steady progress in reducing the overall theft rate and that means Americans aren’t shelling out as much to cover the cost of stolen vehicles in their insurance premiums." Joe Wehrle, NICB president and chief executive officer said.

"We’ve also seen significant decreases in key areas along the border such as San Diego, where thefts dropped nearly 20 percent."

Vehicle thefts went up in Stockton from '07-'08 but in the Bay Area, they decreased. The San Francisco, Oakland, Fremont area ranked fifth in 2007 and dropped to ninth position for 2008.

The Vallejo/Fairfield area made the top 20 list at 18 and San Jose and Sunnyvale area ended up at number 40. The Sacramento area ranked high - at 14th on the list.

The list is:

1. Modesto, CA
2. Laredo, TX
3. Yakima, WA
4. San Diego/Carlsbad/San Marcos, CA
5. Bakersfield, CA
6. Stockton, CA
7. Las Vegas/Paradise, NV
8. Albuquerque, NM
9. San Francisco/Oakland/Fremont, CA
10. Fresno, CA

The Vallejo/Fairfield area made the top 20 list at 18 and San Jose an Sunnyvale area ended up at number 40. Sacramento area ranked high - at 14th on the list.

Hondas are still a thief favorite, with Accord and Civic ranking one and two on the list.

California is also leading the way for motorcycle thefts.

Car Thieves Love California | NBC Los Angeles (http://www.nbclosangeles.com/traffic_autos/autos/Auto-Thieves-LoveCalifornia.html)

illvialuver
04-14-2009, 08:21 PM
well that's no surprise. It's simple, California has more cars than anywhere in the world, thus has more car related problems like car theft, vandalism, and so on and so forth. I know first hand that Modesto is number one because they have a huge Meth problem.

I'm just glad that where I live in California, is not on the list.

allturbotim
04-14-2009, 08:40 PM
^ what he said

ALTRNTV
04-14-2009, 08:43 PM
California is awesome. :w00t:

HyperTek
04-14-2009, 08:46 PM

your zilvia location says Fresno, Fresno is #10 :ddog:

hegamiz
04-14-2009, 08:50 PM
NOo0o00o!! 5?!!!

illvialuver
04-14-2009, 08:51 PM
your zilvia location says Fresno, Fresno is #10 :ddog:

I don't live in Fresno anymore, that's where I'm from. I live in Irvine.

LongGrain
04-14-2009, 08:51 PM
well that's no surprise. It's simple, California has more cars than anywhere in the world, thus has more car related problems like car theft, vandalism, and so and so forth. I know first hand that Modesto is number one because they have a huge Meth problem.

yea thats why...

RiversideS13
04-14-2009, 09:15 PM
well that's no surprise. It's simple, California has more cars than anywhere in the world, thus has more car related problems like car theft, vandalism, and so on and so forth. I know first hand that Modesto is number one because they have a huge Meth problem.

i thought San Bernadino is the number 1 city in meth and welfare

ryguy
04-14-2009, 09:17 PM

No, the statistics are per capita, so the percentage is flat out higher for reasons other than the fact that there are a lot of cars. Meth, on the other hand...

Walperstyle
04-14-2009, 09:19 PM
that state has more then all of Canada.

So, that being said, how many of you have a fuel cutoff switch on your car ?

palmdale_mob
04-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Meth, on the other hand...

Is a very addicting drug

Sil-Abc
04-14-2009, 11:57 PM
i live in santa cruz, no one knows what a turbo is lol all they care about is wheatgrass

BustedS13
04-15-2009, 12:10 AM
what a shocking discovery

illvialuver
04-15-2009, 12:26 AM
No, the statistics are per capita, so the percentage is flat out higher for reasons other than the fact that there are a lot of cars. Meth, on the other hand...

Exactly, meth. Anyone that lives in California knows that California is the agricultural capital of the world and because of this, has more freeways and trucking is big business. Modesto happens to be the meth capital of California and Bakersfield is the last stop before you get into Los Angeles, and San Diego is right by the Mexican border. Also, there are 2 major freeways called the 99 and the 5 that connect all of that together. So all these things add up to people using drugs like meth, and drug addicts are desperate people, desperate enough to steal cars. Thus I'm not surprised these are major car theft cities.

ronmcdon
04-15-2009, 01:19 AM
No, the statistics are per capita, so the percentage is flat out higher for reasons other than the fact that there are a lot of cars.

That's what I thinking.
Concern here isn't the overall quantity of cars stolen, but the actual percentage.

For the second year in a row, and the fifth of the last six years, Modesto is the top city in the country for vehicle thefts, according to the National Insurance Crime Bureau, with 829 stolen cars per 100,000 people.

0.829% is pretty awful.
means almost 1 in a 100 cars in that city will get stolen, during that 1 yr the consensus was given alone.

an_orange_s2k
04-15-2009, 01:34 AM
i live in santa cruz, no one knows what a turbo is lol all they care about is wheatgrass
you cant smoke wheatgrass...

Kaizen.
04-15-2009, 02:06 AM
Sweeet, sacs not on the list!

SlideWell
04-15-2009, 02:24 AM
go Yakima, WA. highly populated by hispanics and drug addicts. any co-relations?
give me a break. i can only imagine how many fools i could have locked up if i worked with police and posted my car outside in yakima to see how many would try n jack it.

aoiken3
04-15-2009, 02:43 AM
accord and civic are on top, as to be expected.

soreballz
04-15-2009, 04:36 AM
We're number one!!
We're number one!!
We're number one!!
We're number one!!
We're number one!!
We're number one!!
We're number one!!
We're number one!!

DALAZ_68
04-15-2009, 08:06 AM
I'm just glad that where I live in California, is not on the list.same here bub

I don't live in Fresno anymore, that's where I'm from. I live in Irvine.
thats because no one wants to drive that far lol

We're number one!!
We're number one!!
We're number one!!
We're number one!!
We're number one!!
We're number one!!
We're number one!!
We're number one!!

We Win...

my area isnt on there top 10 either

WOOOOO

ALTRNTV
04-15-2009, 05:58 PM
my area isnt on there top 10 either

WOOOOO
LA isn't on the top in car thefts, but it's pretty up there in other things. :keke:

lolatclint
04-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Ca ftw :d :d :d :d :d :d

98s14inaz
04-15-2009, 07:27 PM

It's also close to mexico and the citizens are subject to pretty strict gun laws.

GSXRJJordan
04-15-2009, 07:39 PM
LA isn't on the top in car thefts, but it's pretty up there in other things. :keke:

Yeah, I was gonna say...

... anyway, even though I'm not really surprised, it's still good to know that LA isn't as bad as I think it is :)

HyperTek
04-15-2009, 07:41 PM
as long as all of us here aint contributing to the ranking, your all fine by me! hehehe

ronmcdon
04-15-2009, 08:12 PM
Yeah, I was gonna say...

... anyway, even though I'm not really surprised, it's still good to know that LA isn't as bad as I think it is :)

LA rates at #24 this year.
It was #30 two years ago, so it's gradually worsening as of recent.
that's always good for insurance rates at the very least.

ya, overall it's really not as bad as you'd think.
however, in LA there are really good & bad areas.
stats look good prob cause the good area rates even out the bad.
I know there are parts of East LA/Silverlake I wouldn't even bother risking.
best to use common sense regardless.
stats don't mean much when you're the victim.

ALTRNTV
04-15-2009, 08:50 PM

You turn into a stat when you're the victim.

Gnnr
04-15-2009, 10:18 PM

Doesn't look like it.

Crime in Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Los_Angeles)

SexPanda
04-15-2009, 10:30 PM
i thought San Bernadino is the number 1 city in meth and welfare

Is a very addicting drug

Lol I live in Pulaski County Missouri. The top meth producing county in the top meth producing state last time I checked the facts.

Gotta love MO.

neverrain
04-15-2009, 10:31 PM

Yea, this is pretty true in LA. There are parts of LA I would leave my car unlocked with the windows down in no problem. Then there are parts I would be afraid to stop at a red light in. It's really hit and miss.

neverrain
04-15-2009, 10:33 PM
Lol I live in Pulaski County Missouri. The top meth producing county in the top meth producing state last time I checked the facts.

Gotta love MO.

So it's safe to assume, you know, based on stats, that you are affiliated to meth in some way?

SexPanda
04-15-2009, 10:41 PM
So it's safe to assume, you know, based on stats, that you are affiliated to meth in some way?

I work for the army, of course Im affiliated with meth somehow lol. I used to work with like 4 people that did it all the time. Nasty shit. Nasty nasty nasty.

neverrain
04-15-2009, 10:42 PM
I work for the army, of course Im affiliated with meth somehow lol. I used to work with like 4 people that did it all the time. Nasty shit. Nasty nasty nasty.

lol...

And yes, I know, it's some dirty ass shit.

Twincamlove
04-15-2009, 10:42 PM
they should have pomona up there.

thats where my car got stolen from

SexPanda
04-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Its really bad around here. Some methhead stole my buddies ATV and sold it to buy more meth... And its funny, around here, alot of the meth addicts drive the riciest cars on earth, or the fugliest trucks known to man.

And then there is the ever popular beat to shit chrysler k car...

Twincamlove
04-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Its really bad around here. Some methhead stole my buddies ATV and sold it to buy more meth... And its funny, around here, alot of the meth addicts drive the riciest cars on earth, or the fugliest trucks known to man.

And then there is the ever popular beat to shit chrysler k car...

haha i beilive that.

you said fugliest!

lol
nice

ronmcdon
04-16-2009, 12:02 PM
Doesn't look like it.

Crime in Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Los_Angeles)

overall crime rates could be going down,
but that's not to say that ALL categories of criminal activity goes down.
for example, the link you gave shows homicide increasing from a year ago.
car theft wasn't listed, but it's not implausible that it also increased while other crimes decreased.

taken from the wiki link you posted;

"Crime rates (2008 to date (% change from 2007))
Crime type Rate*
Homicide: 9.6 (+4%)
Forcible rape: 18.9 (-14%)
Robbery: 310.2 (-8%)
Aggravated assault: 302.4 (-6%)
Burglary: 464.5 (-5%)"

Also, the statistic the OP posted, primarily states the national rank of car theft.
It's relative to the stats of other cities listed.
Moving up or down in rank, depends not only on city's actual rates but also the rates of other cities.
For instance, your city's car theft rate rank could drop, even if overall theft rates within your city increases by 10%, so long as other cities theft rates increase by more.
The actual 'rank' is a pretty meaningless stat,
useful only for abstract bragging rights & a false sense of security at best.

zenki.life
04-16-2009, 12:06 PM
California is awesome. :w00t:

no my friend California blows long and blows hard.

we have the strictest laws, most dickish cops, most liberal tree hugging politicians.

its because i live here that i dont have an rb or an sr.

or a fucking turbo for that damn matter.

and to the OP callifornia also is number 1 for something else too............sucking!!! lol

drift freaq
04-16-2009, 12:15 PM

Dude East LA and Silverlake are like miles apart, Highland Park is across the freeway, but that might as well be miles lol as most Highland Park gangstars don't travel much out of Highland Park. Though East LA is still about almost 4 miles southeast of Silverlake and seperated by a whole network of freeways that act like a virtual wall.

LOL I thought you knew your LA Geography. LOL
Silverlake is not bad at all. Maybe you meant East Hollywood which is west of Los Feliz/Silverlake. Though even there its not that bad because most people that live there drive shit cars anways lol or they lock them up in Garages. Also there is a high Police presence in East Hollywood.

jzepol1985
04-16-2009, 12:15 PM
Haha Fresno number 10, who would want to steal cars from their. I'm from Fresno. I laugh my ass off every time I go there. Its like they are stuck in 1999 the cars are just hideous.

ronmcdon
04-16-2009, 12:17 PM
Yea, this is pretty true in LA. There are parts of LA I would leave my car unlocked with the windows down in no problem. Then there are parts I would be afraid to stop at a red light in. It's really hit and miss.

lol, I wouldn't push my luck that far if I were you.
I used to do just the same.
I parked an old POS civic w/ a POS head-unit, with doors unlocked.
this was in a nicer part of West LA, 3 mins from beverly hills.
for a couple of months nothing happened either in terms of theft.
you can guess what happened to that POS head unit eventually.
I was lucky I learned my lesson without it being more costly.

ronmcdon
04-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Dude East LA and Silverlake are like miles apart, Highland Park is across the freeway, but that might as well be miles lol as most Highland Park gangstars don't travel much out of Highland Park. Though East LA is still about almost 4 miles southeast of Silverlake and seperated by a whole network of freeways that act like a virtual wall.

LOL I thought you knew your LA Geography. LOL
Silverlake is not bad at all. Maybe you meant East Hollywood which is west of Los Feliz/Silverlake. Though even there its not that bad because most people that live there drive shit cars anways lol or they lock them up in Garages. Also there is a high Police presence in East Hollywood.

lol, you're right, I still get lost all the time despite living here for almost 10 yrs!
I had my old crx stolen at this diner called Bright Spot on Sunset & Alvarado.
Looking it up, it's in Echo Park (not silver-lake).
my apologies to Silverlake.

Gnnr
04-16-2009, 03:09 PM
overall crime rates could be going down,
but that's not to say that ALL categories of criminal activity goes down.

You where speaking of overall crime rates going up, so that's what I was referring to. Not individual categories.

ronmcdon
04-16-2009, 04:32 PM
You where speaking of overall crime rates going up, so that's what I was referring to. Not individual categories.

I never specified 'overall crime rates'.
In fact, technically I never specified anything.
This is what I wrote (& also what you quoted me):

"LA rates at #24 this year.
that's always good for insurance rates at the very least."

OP's subject was auto theft, and that's what I was addressing.

Pank
04-16-2009, 07:26 PM
NC is so safe that burglars actually break into your house and install flatscreen TVs and stock your fridge with expensive food.

I went outside once and someone "stole" a Land Cruiser into my driveway. It was hard to back out onto the street because he replace the dashboard with 100 dollar bills

Gnnr
04-16-2009, 08:26 PM
I never specified 'overall crime rates'.
In fact, technically I never specified anything.
This is what I wrote (& also what you quoted me):

"LA rates at #24 this year.
that's always good for insurance rates at the very least."

OP's subject was auto theft, and that's what I was addressing.

My mistake.

ALTRNTV
04-16-2009, 08:37 PM

we have the strictest laws, most dickish cops, most liberal tree hugging politicians.

and to the OP callifornia also is number 1 for something else too............sucking!!! lol

CALIFORNIA IS FUCKING AWESOME. :snoop:

HyperTek
04-16-2009, 11:40 PM
Rep yo Hood!!!! hahahah

GSXRJJordan
04-17-2009, 12:31 AM

Pussy. :naughty:

soreballz
04-17-2009, 01:18 AM

You're a little bitch, aren't you?

"Waaahhhh, I can't have an SR or an RB because the big bad police will get me!"

Don't be such a pansy.

Leave Cali already. Judging by your shitty attitude, I bet they'd LOVE to have you around in Florida.

(Florida fail.)

luckvx
04-17-2009, 01:29 AM
gotta love california

BustedS13
04-17-2009, 01:38 AM

+rep if i could! :naughty:

aoiken3
04-17-2009, 02:32 AM
Cali love!!!

ronmcdon
04-17-2009, 12:36 PM
My mistake.

no worries :)
my post was kinda vague.

zenki.life
04-18-2009, 01:51 AM
no cali sucks and yes i am moving. not now but soon. and no not to gay florida. anyway its the chp out in camarillo that prevents me from doing anything else to my engine in terms of swaps. apparently you want to be reffed.

GSXRJJordan
04-18-2009, 01:55 AM
no cali sucks and yes i am moving. not now but soon. and no not to gay florida. anyway its the chp out in camarillo that prevents me from doing anything else to my engine in terms of swaps. apparently you want to be reffed.

Yeah dude, I wanna get ref'd sooooo bad! :drama:

ALTRNTV
04-18-2009, 06:53 PM

LOL!!! Camarillo? The cops there are relaxed. You must be doing stupid shit for them to be harrasing you.

It also doesn't help that the "races" there are held in the back country by Las Posas and Hueneme Roads.