PDA

View Full Version : SOCAL sun roof delete

dOMEmE
04-10-2009, 12:57 PM
anyone know of a good but cheap body shop that will delete my sun roof and leave my roof looking OEM (not wavy)???

HungryHank
04-10-2009, 01:00 PM
I can get you one from kognition, cop discount.

dOMEmE
04-10-2009, 01:05 PM
kognition??? i need to get sheet metal welded on though.i think.

oh, and uhm how much is my cop discount?

peetiewonder
04-10-2009, 01:21 PM
couldnt u cut the roof out of one at the junkyard?

dOMEmE
04-10-2009, 01:24 PM
couldnt u cut the roof out of one at the junkyard?

its a coupe....and i would still have to get it welded.

has anyone done it before?

soreballz
04-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Its been done. Changing the roof skin is the ONLY way to do it properly. If you weld it shut, you'll probably need a skim coat of bondo over it to make it flat, and then the moment the chassis flexes, the bondo will crack, leaving you with a roof that looks like shit.

Just get a new roof skin.

dOMEmE
04-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Its been done. Changing the roof skin is the ONLY way to do it properly. If you weld it shut, you'll probably need a skim coat of bondo over it to make it flat, and then the moment the chassis flexes, the bondo will crack, leaving you with a roof that looks like shit.

so i go to the junk yard and cut off the skin right???

how far do you recommend i cut off the top? to the pillars?

dOMEmE
04-10-2009, 04:40 PM
oh and you also said its been done right, i searched but didnt find it. do you happen to have a link?

drift freaq
04-10-2009, 04:52 PM
do you have a s13 or a s14. If you have a s13 I have couple of chassis you could cut the roof I would not charge you to much.

dOMEmE
04-10-2009, 05:28 PM
do you have a s13 or a s14. If you have a s13 I have couple of chassis you could cut the roof I would not charge you to much.

s13....how much is not to much?

1five10
04-10-2009, 05:42 PM
for what? it's not worth it. just get another car.

dOMEmE
04-10-2009, 06:34 PM
for what? it's not worth it. just get another car.

i really doubt getting another car is going to be cheaper, plus having to move everything over to the new car is going to be a pain in the bunghole.

SUPERSTAR
04-10-2009, 08:39 PM
My drift car has a sunroof and I like in the summer months. Does not affect the car at all.

soreballz
04-10-2009, 08:40 PM
Wayne (137 is his username) did it to his S14. I think he has a build thread here.

GSXRJJordan
04-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Wayne (137 is his username) did it to his S14. I think he has a build thread here.

Wayne didn't do it to that car, he bought that car like that I think - and it looks like absolute crap (he bought a new roof skin to fix it, btw).

ericcastro
04-10-2009, 08:57 PM

yuppers

My drift car has a sunroof and I like in the summer months. Does not affect the car at all.
yuppers

Not sure your hieght.

but I prefer mine, since my helmet would occationally touch the roof if I didnt have it.

Plus i like it cruising at night :)

dOMEmE
04-10-2009, 09:15 PM
yuppers

yuppers

Not sure your hieght.

but I prefer mine, since my helmet would occationally touch the roof if I didnt have it.

Plus i like it cruising at night :)

well i wont be tracking my car so dont need to worry about helmet room, but cruising at night....i do that alot :2f2f:

soreballz
04-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Wayne didn't do it to that car, he bought that car like that I think - and it looks like absolute crap (he bought a new roof skin to fix it, btw).
I know. I was referring to the write up he did on how to swap the roof skins. :wiggle:

wow-thats-a-cool-car
04-13-2009, 09:42 PM
coupe sunroofs take up soo much head room its anoying my helmet used to always hit the roof soo much. Hatch sunroofs barly take up any head room so it doesn't really matter. It would be cool to see a write up on changing a roof skin.

And if you weld it do it the right way. You should TIG weld opposite corners and only do about 1 or 2 dots at a time and the wait for it to cool. If you do any more the roof will warp and will look terrible.