PDA

View Full Version : I Just Came Up On A FREE......

LeftNutOfGowd
04-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Mac Book

http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo331/sigsNgifs/mac.jpg

***Foot Notes at the bottom for the people who don't wanna read the whole story***

Got it from my cousin mom here's the story. So my cousin is 16 years old and her lil bro decided to clean her mac with a water and a shit he did it once and everything was ok so after a couple of months he did it again but this time something happened to the mac, I don't know much about the details as to what made her think that it was f'up but she said it was. So my aunt took it to the mac store and tried to get it fixed but they say warranty doesn't cover water damage so my aunt just left it there. A couple days late I found out about it and asked her to get it back and I will look at it and so she did. Now I didn't have the charger for it so for like 3 weeks it just sat in my room until yesterday I went to get the charger from my cousin and I asked my aunt what she wants me to do with the mac and she was just like " Well it doesn't work so can you just get the pics I have on there and do whatever you want to the rest of it" So after that I went home and charged it up and turned it on to see what would happen and to my surprise there is nothing wrong with it at all I then opened it up and nothing was fried or looked burned out. So today I'm testing it I did a full charge and leaving it on to see how long it hold the battery life.

Now I don't know what to do with it. I really don't want it since I really don't have uses for it so I was thinking of maybe selling it. How much are they going for used its only a year old I mean I would keep it just to say I have one but I really don't have a use for it I'm not in school at the time and don't really know how to use it lol.

***Foot Notes for the lazy people***

-My cousin tried to clean a mac with water and a towel

-Ended up some how messing it up

-Aunt take's it back to the mac store but they say warranty doesn't cover water damage

-So she just left it there and said f**k it

-I asked her to get it back so I can look at it

-Asked my aunt what she want's me to do with it, she said just try to get the pics off it and do whatever I want with the rest of it

-Had it set in my room for 3 weeks because I was to lazy to ask my cousin for the charger

-Got the charger yesterday and started up the mac

-Found out nothing was wrong with it at all everything works fine

-Now I'm testing the battery life on it and seeing if anything happens if I leave it on tell the battery dies

-Don't know what to do with it should I sell it or keep it

CrimsonRockett
04-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Uh, take it back to your aunt?

XeroX
04-09-2009, 09:25 AM
+1 for longest cliffnotes evAR...

I would sell it if you dont need it...maybe 700-800 bucks? I would never pay that much but i c macbooks for sale at school quite often for about that much (being abdout a year old or so)...

Only thing is, wouldnt ur aunt get kinda pissed if she found out you sold it for a considerable amount like that? I would lie and say u threw it away lol...if she asks at least.

kandyflip445
04-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Don't screw over family, take it back....

ANVIL
04-09-2009, 09:28 AM
give it back, greedy.

Future240
04-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Yeah good samaritan should be kickin in about now......

s13tilldeath*
04-09-2009, 09:32 AM
okay if you sell it it is not worth 700 800.....

sorry to say but they just came out with a new one and that is not it.....

i would say like 500 or less...... specially sence it had water on it.....

i will pick it up for 400 if you want to sell it.... i can send you the money over now....

I would tell your aunt that it is working though and see if she wants it back......

LeftNutOfGowd
04-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Well when she took it to the mac store they said she need to replace all these parts and that it would just end up coming out to almost paying for a new one so she is just over it. She wouldn't be mad she ended up getting another Mac for the whole family the one that's kinda like a pc

Future240
04-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Oh in that case, sell it if you have no use for it

LeftNutOfGowd
04-09-2009, 09:41 AM
The only reason I would use it would be to use photoshop. But I can also use that on my pc

Does anyone know where I can get a different case I want to replace the white one with a black one. If not I'm just gonna paint the one it has on right now but that's only if I wanna keep it

CrimsonRockett
04-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Well when she took it to the mac store they said she need to replace all these parts and that it would just end up coming out to almost paying for a new one so she is just over it. She wouldn't be mad she ended up getting another Mac for the whole family the one that's kinda like a pc

I still say take it back.

She gave it to you under wrong circumstances(believing it was broken and too expensive to repair).

Be honest.

s13tilldeath*
04-09-2009, 09:47 AM
dont paint it...... then it will be worth way less....

also you can buy covers but not new cases.... the color of the case is the model and fetures it has..... the black is better than the white.... you wouldnt want to switch shells.....

s13silady
04-09-2009, 09:49 AM
nice... i came up on a free MACBOOK PRO last month.... keep it... if your aunt lets you..

as soon as i got my mac, i havent touched my PC since. except to get stuff to transfer too my mac...<3

drift freaq
04-09-2009, 09:52 AM
I say take it back to her. Tell her it needed to dry out.

When it comes to water and electronics they do not go together. Usually most electronics people will tell you once its been under water its considered junk. Thing is a lot of modern electronics can survive a dunking if allowed to dry out properly which is what you did.
I have a Samsung cell phone thats been under water twice. I let it dry out both times and the dam thing still works.

Like I said earlier take it back. Leave it up to her to make the decision to keep it or let you have it, once you explain everything.
If she lets you keep it? You have a damn good laptop. If she decides she wants to keep it? At least you know you did the right thing and are honest. Something we don't seem to see enough of these days.

s13tilldeath*
04-09-2009, 09:58 AM
either take it back to her or sell to me.....

Thats my vote..... haha

DALAZ_68
04-09-2009, 09:59 AM
yea seriously, why screw family...?

take it back tell her it works fine, if she lets you keep it so be it, flip it for a quick 500 and happy endings all night for you...

if not ohhwell but u have a clear concious...

LeftNutOfGowd
04-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Man were in a depression right now i need the cash lol i just sold my 240 for 950 but yeah I'll call her on my lunch and see what she says

DALAZ_68
04-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Man were in a depression right now i need the cash lol i just sold my 240 for 950 but yeah I'll call her on my lunch and see what she says

money comes and goes bro, but family is there always...

aziankingz
04-09-2009, 10:07 AM
yeah give her a chance to decide - when she told you to do whatever you want with it, she was under the impression that it was junk, but now that it is working again, you should at least tell her that its working and offer to give it back. maybe you will get lucky and she will say you can have it..but at least you wont feel like a douche bag..

LeftNutOfGowd
04-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Well after looking at some you tube videos on how to disassemble it it looked like if there was any water damage it will have happened to the keys so on my break I'm going to see if the keys even work

ANVIL
04-09-2009, 10:31 AM
either take it back to her or sell to me.....

Thats my vote..... haha

yeah sell to this guy cuz his period button is broken ..........

kandyflip445
04-09-2009, 10:57 AM
I still say take it back.

She gave it to you under wrong circumstances(believing it was broken and too expensive to repair).

Be honest.

Word. Or get this, you could even ASK if you can have it.

origin_s135
04-09-2009, 12:29 PM
yeah i would definitely give it back if it's working. i would not want to do my own family like that. if it was a friend, then MAYBE. haha

blueshark123
04-09-2009, 01:18 PM
just charge her for repairing it although u aint do shit

SexPanda
04-09-2009, 01:55 PM
just give it back to your familia hombre, or see if they even want it back. I had a "broken" celly my little brother had. I got it to work fine, gave it back to him, and got a blackjack in return. yay.

s13boy89
04-09-2009, 02:23 PM
or sell it to mme my comp is like 10 years old its obsolete

cserrano86
04-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Trade for some Tein Coilovers??

lflkajfj12123
04-09-2009, 03:12 PM
give it back to her bro

if anything she'll probably tell you can keep it for fixing it

then no need to have a dirty conscious

airsoft
04-09-2009, 03:18 PM
9999.999% of this community agrees you should notify her it is in working condition and you will give it back.

flip3d
04-09-2009, 03:51 PM
beat some sense into your cousin.

aoiken3
04-09-2009, 04:00 PM
you'd be an ass if you kept it.

gotspins13
04-09-2009, 04:05 PM
ILL GIVE YOU 400 FOR IT HAHAHA
seriously though=]

XeroX
04-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Im not a mac person at all..

but i know they are overpriced as all hell, and i see pretty old macbooks for sale for about 600-800 bucks quite often...

i guess justifying the lower price would be because of the water damage, but i would find out how bad it really is or if you can even tell....i know on cell phones they have a little white sticker that turns pink if it comes in contact with moisture...im sure that laptops have the same thing...maybe not?

I personally would just sell it, if you really think your gona feel guilty because someone GAVE u something...i guuesss you could tell her, but why??

She basically abondoned the damn thing at the store because it "didnt work" and you apperantly make a big deal out of getting it back, i mean does she seriously think that u wana play with it like a toy and take it apart to c how it works? obviously she trusts your perception of what its worth...so she gave it to you...

Dont feel obligated to tell somebody something that goes along the lines of what they clearly intended on you doing in the first place...maybe she thought you would get it to work or sell it for 40 bucks rather than 500...she knew you were getting something out of it none the less...

Its like feeling bad when you ask for a reciept for a xmas present...its retarded...ur not taking advantage of anyone here....

CrimsonRockett
04-09-2009, 06:03 PM
I personally don't think they're overpriced at all.

I've owned 3 Mac Towers and all have treated me well(none have ever failed me...not once.).

Hell, the only reason why i'm on my "3rd" is because 1st one parents bought it, 2nd one is sitting next to my desk, and 3rd replaced 2nd (G4) because my friend put in a 500gb HD, much better video card, and stuffed it full of awesome programs(G5).

You could say she abandoned it, but it still goes back to the fact that she abandoned it thinking it didn't work anymore.

She then gave it to him under the circumstances that it wasn't working.

He lets it sit for a while, charges it up, and finds out it works perfectly.

What if he keeps it, uses it, and she later finds out that it was never broken to begin with?

Hell, if I gave something to someone under the circumstances that it was broken and found out it was never broken to begin with and they turned around and flipped it for hundreds(what it originally cost me), i'd be pissed.

He's not obligated to tell her anything, but this has to do with honesty.

Tell her the truth.

If she wants it back, tough.

Knowing you did the right thing is what counts.

drift freaq
04-09-2009, 06:16 PM

but i know they are overpriced as all hell, and i see pretty old macbooks for sale for about 600-800 bucks quite often...

i guess justifying the lower price would be because of the water damage, but i would find out how bad it really is or if you can even tell....i know on cell phones they have a little white sticker that turns pink if it comes in contact with moisture...im sure that laptops have the same thing...maybe not?

I personally would just sell it, if you really think your gona feel guilty because someone GAVE u something...i guuesss you could tell her, but why??

She basically abondoned the damn thing at the store because it "didnt work" and you apperantly make a big deal out of getting it back, i mean does she seriously think that u wana play with it like a toy and take it apart to c how it works? obviously she trusts your perception of what its worth...so she gave it to you...

Dont feel obligated to tell somebody something that goes along the lines of what they clearly intended on you doing in the first place...maybe she thought you would get it to work or sell it for 40 bucks rather than 500...she knew you were getting something out of it none the less...

Its like feeling bad when you ask for a reciept for a xmas present...its retarded...ur not taking advantage of anyone here....

wow do you fail in sincerity, honesty, lack of knowledge and a few other things.

First off Macs are not currently overpriced, they are very reliable and fast computers. You get what you pay for.

Guess what Mr I don't know shit about MAC's and will dis them? Unlike most PC,s (unless you get a name brand one which will cost as much)you can count on Mac's being reliable. They are assembled in one place with pretty damn good quality control over what goes in them.

There is a reason that the Pro Audio industry and film editing industry relies heavily on MAC's. Software that works and near bulletproof machines.

Second off she is family, family deserves respect. Hell all people deserve respect !

Its people like you who are out for themselves,(judging by your own statements) that are ruining this world.

Contgrat's for having no common decency and showing us that. You Fail!

ms!3
04-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Get rid of your pc and keep the mac. hmm??

That is if you aunt doesn't mind.

HyperTek
04-09-2009, 07:59 PM

watch out buddy, Mac people are very sensitive when it comes to talking down on them. lol *jus kiddin mac guys*. I think they are overpriced too and just "look pretty".

If your aunt was down to just say "fuck it" and leave it at the store, than more than likely i would guess that she might say "oh it works? ok just give me the pictures and you can have it".. .. its worth a try. Than you wont have any doubts later down the road about the situation.

Keeping it without saying anything would be bad news if your family is tight.. imagine a house gathering, aunt comes over and says "hey did u ever fix the laptop?" and you just happen to be using it lol

lflkajfj12123
04-09-2009, 08:23 PM
where the fuck were you mac guys when i was trying to defend our kind in my thread

>:|

silviaz
04-09-2009, 10:08 PM
Wow...... I can't believe it.

You are asking if you should "scram" your own family for a fucking computer.

I mean.. c'mon... money sometimes make you do stupid things....

don't do that... im serious. What are u gonna do if she asks u what you did with the computer.

Lie ?

cserrano86
04-09-2009, 11:48 PM
Lets pretend I'm your cousin yeah? Lol

nismo 240sx
04-10-2009, 02:01 AM
i agree with crimsonrocket...tell you aunt about it and give it back to her..and if she insits of letting you have it then do what yo please with it

LeftNutOfGowd
04-10-2009, 12:40 PM
So after talking with my aunt she said I can keep it but I will have to give her 300 bucks for it so what do you guys say give it back or buy it off her nothing is wrong with it at all I opened it and looked inside nothing was burnt or fried. I seriously don't even think there was any damage to it. When I asked my cousin well what happened that made you think it F'up she was like well I turned off the mac then her cleaned it and when I tried to turn it back on it would'nt so I'm guessing she was just being stupid or something

1ZlowZ
04-10-2009, 12:56 PM
=/ Should change thread title... I fixed a laptop and aunt charges me 300$. Its up to you though dude, if you think you could sell it for more do it if you need it keep if not give it back. 300$ for a mac is good.

phillofdfuture
04-13-2009, 09:11 PM
keep it...i wouldnt even buy it for 500

!Zar!
04-14-2009, 04:54 AM
nice... i came up on a free MACBOOK PRO last month.... keep it... if your aunt lets you..

as soon as i got my mac, i havent touched my PC since. except to get stuff to transfer too my mac...<3

Hook it up brooooooo

Kaizen.
04-14-2009, 05:03 AM
If your honest with you aunt, im sure she'll give it to you.

karmas a bitch

SochBAT
04-14-2009, 05:10 AM
If not, just have sex with her.

You know.

Just saying.

drift into a curb
04-14-2009, 05:26 AM
You can't really be 22 and asking a forum what to do... lol you've got to be kidding me.

LeftNutOfGowd
04-14-2009, 09:44 AM
So the end of my story goes like this. I ended up buying the Mac from my aunt for $250 she didn't really care since she bought her and her family and new macbook and the desktop one. And since I didn't really like it I ended up posting it up on Craigslist and sold it for $750 so I ended up making a good $500 dollar profit. But I ended up going to the strip club with a couple of friends and spent like $400 last night so now im left with $350 :( damn thoses strippers and there sexy lapdances

kandyflip445
04-14-2009, 09:56 AM
Glad you did the right thing!

Z33dori
04-14-2009, 10:35 AM
So the end of my story goes like this. I ended up buying the Mac from my aunt for $250 she didn't really care since she bought her and her family and new macbook and the desktop one. And since I didn't really like it I ended up posting it up on Craigslist and sold it for $750 so I ended up making a good $500 dollar profit. But I ended up going to the strip club with a couple of friends and spent like $400 last night so now im left with $350 :( damn thoses strippers and there sexy lapdances

what a fucking waste...

so much for needing money

iRONDONkey
04-14-2009, 10:40 AM
what a shame.

CrimsonRockett
04-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Since this was resolved, there's no need for it to be open anymore.

Shame. You came up on money and just threw it all away on one of the stupidest things out there.

Real shame.

:lockd:

LeftNutOfGowd
04-14-2009, 11:49 AM
I'll close my own thread thank you very much...and I don't need money I'm a F'N baller so that's I roll

mrmephistopheles
04-14-2009, 12:00 PM
I'll close my own thread thank you very much...and I don't need money I'm a F'N baller so that's I roll

:nono: :squint:

We'll handle the moderation around here, thanks.

You know premies aren't allowed to reopen threads closed by mods/admins. That's what got those privileges yoinked from the marketplace.

Persist, and it'll be forum-wide.

3 days in time-out.