PDA

View Full Version : do these heim joints look any good?

HyperTek
04-09-2009, 01:36 AM
http://www.driftingperformance.com/images/products/ebaypic/FC_RUCAS.jpg

im clueless on heim joints, i just know that they are very important to consider since cheap ones are not up to spec to handle being on a vehicle.

FCs have limited selection of suspension brands =(
and not many guys on rx7club go beyond shock/spring upgrades

SochBAT
04-09-2009, 01:53 AM
I'd say yes. I've had my TC RUCAS on forever and a day, and they're still nice and glidey.

And if not, you can always replace em for fairly cheap. I'm getting my new joints from Jeff (GSXRJordan) in a few weeks, when my moneys come in.

gotta240
04-09-2009, 10:04 AM
you need to see who that company buys the heims from.

Then figure which model they use. Look at the load rating on them, the materials they are made of, and the range of movement. Its hard to tell jack shit about heims based on their LOOK.

aznpoopy
04-09-2009, 10:18 AM
why bother with the camber bar.
can't adjust l/r independently? crappy!
get the independent rear camber adjusters.

AWR Racing, Inc. - CAMBER ADJUSTERS, REAR CONTROL ARM (http://www.awrracing.com/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=1&products_id=80)

vvtisupra
04-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Yah if anything when they go bad just go
to baker precision in signal hill off Orange.

They stock a lot of aurora bearings

HyperTek
04-10-2009, 06:32 PM
ok it came in today, dam fast shipping.. Heim joints say " BSA NOS14 Japan"

If the weather is good tomarrow i may throw it on

lflkajfj12123
04-10-2009, 06:34 PM
isn't tcsportline a megan equivalent if not worse

if they're cheap it probably means the company spent no money on good joints

i'm sure it will work for daily driving though

HyperTek
04-10-2009, 06:41 PM
yeah i shoulda just ordered the groundcontrol piece instead, im sure they would have more reputation to loose if they put cheap joints on it lol.

Will see how this works.

!Zar!
04-10-2009, 07:19 PM
why bother with the camber bar.
can't adjust l/r independently? crappy!
get the independent rear camber adjusters.

AWR Racing, Inc. - CAMBER ADJUSTERS, REAR CONTROL ARM (http://www.awrracing.com/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=1&products_id=80)

Exactly.

Those are the same ones I ran on my TII.

Worked flawlessly.

SochBAT
04-11-2009, 12:22 AM
isn't tcsportline a megan equivalent if not worse

if they're cheap it probably means the company spent no money on good joints

i'm sure it will work for daily driving though

rods are rods. Its really the heim joints that matter.

dOMEmE
04-11-2009, 06:42 PM

Agree........

GSXRJJordan
04-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Those heims look like GARBAGE

I'm still waiting to hear back from Bob (RJF) about my Group Buy thread, but I've got some TOP QUALITY stuff (compares directly to Aurora/QA1/FK) coming in this week. Here's a shitty cell phone pic of the heim that came in my "ebay"/TC Sportline/Motoria/etc arm, and the pimp-tastic ones I replaced all my heims with:

http://hzf5aw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pGfcFach1JUl-v3jmLEX3NVDPW76s8BLLN7bM6hPBJIK7_yEreKzIvEeD53ykME uw0jK-gPJj2rwHL3pAwwGOa0c7sQ6fxR1l/IMG00156

They use the same misalignment spacers, and are threaded the same.
http://hzf5aw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pKEnzVFT2KlAkpSZzkPdrJD_ILWCyhYbccKktlPHJXEM-AmHjZ2qFxXmUp9G9AtWp0PARBDGtsP4GOG5_I5R4fK9zy2VPKt PW/IMG00157

Things to look for:
*teflon race, no zerk fittings! You want maintenance-free, right?
*chrome-plated or chrome-moly shank and ball (for corrosion resistance)
*thick ball housing (wider means less misalignment, but stonger)
*specs, whenever possible - my heims are 13k-17.7k static load, which is plenty for a car

Sooshi's gettin his first, but I've got some more - I've also got sealsit.com boots, if you want truly OEM-level reliability.

The quality of the arm is not in question, just the heims - someone else has said it, but it's not the welds on the arm that break from use, it's the heims that seize and break the arms - get good heims for your cheap arms!!

HyperTek
04-11-2009, 07:04 PM
i threw it on the car, should be ok id think.. it just braces the subframe to the chassis/changes the length of the original piece. I dont think it will see the same environment as a suspension arm, but i could be wrong.

DataXUnknown
04-11-2009, 07:18 PM
I just put all my suspension parts on today why didn't I see this thread earlier. Oh well I still got rear toe links to put on. So bigger and beefier heim joints mean it will last longer?

GSXRJJordan
04-11-2009, 07:20 PM
i threw it on the car, should be ok id think.. it just braces the subframe to the chassis/changes the length of the original piece. I dont think it will see the same environment as a suspension arm, but i could be wrong.

How does the description you gave change at all from a suspension arm? I mean, sure it might see less movement, but if it breaks you're screwed.

My best advice would be to keep an eye on it at every oil change, look for rust spots, check for free play. When it breaks, shoot me a PM.

Also, I could get you a set of boots if you want, to keep 'em covered, but then you can't inspect them - they look like this:
http://sealsit.com/images/pic_rod_end_boot.gif
Pic from sealsit.com

bing
04-11-2009, 07:41 PM
why do people still buy this crap?

FaLKoN240
04-11-2009, 07:43 PM
why do people still buy this crap?

Because it's cheap and available.

Mass produced cheap junk if you expose it into the public they'll flock to it.

Ex: Walmart.

GSXRJJordan
04-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Because it's cheap and available.

Mass produced cheap junk if you expose it into the public they'll flock to it.

Ex: Walmart.

Yeah, and with good heims, they offer the same PERFORMANCE and RELIABILITY as the expensive stuff - that's why I use them.

HyperTek
04-11-2009, 08:13 PM
sorry man, limited resource of aftermarket parts for the FC community.. i hate this rear suspension design lmao .. Bing make us some parts! lol

lflkajfj12123
04-11-2009, 08:43 PM

isnt this what i said?

sidewayz240
04-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Yea, they look very cheap.

I bought some FK heims and was unimpressed (economy line). Compared to the year old or more QA1 rod ends that Bing uses on his multi link, they were very cheap feeling, loose and sloppy.

SochBAT
04-11-2009, 08:46 PM
isnt this what i said?

Isnt' this what i said?

lol.

:wiggle:

HyperTek
04-11-2009, 09:45 PM
heres the mazdatrix one
http://www.mazdatrix.com/pictures/h-susp/R-CamberB.jpg

SochBAT
04-11-2009, 11:59 PM
I like the rod part. nice and shiny.

The joints look weak. Instead of overall width, they chose to reinforce the center, not the sides closer to the rotating shanks.

I'll post the ends that came on my CTune's tomorrow to compare.

HyperTek
04-12-2009, 12:44 AM
oOo ctune, i havent heard about them in a while.. they still in walnut?

SochBAT
04-12-2009, 02:18 AM
They moved to a new location, I have no idea where though.

GSXRJJordan
04-12-2009, 04:11 AM
10yrs from now, everyone will buy their heims from me.

Be the first to start the trend ~ replace your cheap M16x2.00 heims with mine!

bing
04-15-2009, 07:33 AM
sorry man, limited resource of aftermarket parts for the FC community.. i hate this rear suspension design lmao .. Bing make us some parts! lol

i actually will if you pre-order a bunch.

all i really have to do is have the reducers made to spec. I already have the rod ends and sleeves.

if you have the specs i can put you in touch with Newman (E30 with RB26 project) who can put the shit into CAD, forward it to me and i can make you a wack of them...

GSXRJJordan
04-15-2009, 11:42 AM
i actually will if you pre-order a bunch.

all i really have to do is have the reducers made to spec. I already have the rod ends and sleeves.

if you have the specs i can put you in touch with Newman (E30 with RB26 project) who can put the shit into CAD, forward it to me and i can make you a wack of them...

That's the biggest problem for me also (the misalignment spacers for different applications) - I've got some that I'm trying out, I'll have to update this thread with a link to my group buy that's hopefully going up today!

SochBAT
04-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Jeff, do the joints come with the stupid insert spacers? The spacers are the only stupid part i need.

Stupid spacers.

shahabshaukat
04-15-2009, 03:52 PM
How are the Heim joints on the "powered by max" rucas for s13? The first gen though I know the secong gen is beefier.....

GSXRJJordan
04-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Jeff, do the joints come with the stupid insert spacers? The spacers are the only stupid part i need.

Stupid spacers.

Yup, I've got spacers for my joints - I just have to try them out and make sure they fit in all the different spots (TC rods, RUCA, traction, etc). UPS was supposed to drop 'em off today, but I wasn't home :/