PDA

View Full Version : Vizio TVs, school me.

TravisSW
04-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Turns out that I have a friend that has hookups with Vizio.

He gets 35% off on their tvs.

So now in turn, I have a hook up. :D
I tell him which one I want, he buys it and I pay him back.

Now my only concern is. I never really heard of Vizio. Does anybody here use their TVs or have heard anything about their performance, pros vs cons compared to others?

I'd like to get a Samsung/Sony TV, but heck, if I can get one for 35% off, why not?

I'm looking to get a 32 inch screen since that's all I have room for in my room haha.

And is there a difference between Plasma and LCD? I'm mainly into gaming with my PS3, so tv is whatever.

Future240
04-06-2009, 07:20 PM
A few of my friends have vizio's okay TV's. Not exceptional but pretty cool. I've heard they wear out quick so be sure to get a warranty on them if you can.

NERV
04-06-2009, 07:30 PM
I have a 32" Vizio and it rocks. Picture quality is stunning. My friends come over whom have spent thousands on SONY and SAMSUNG, they're always more than impressed with the performance of my Vizio. I'm happy with, I say go for it.

Great LCD, I have PS3, 360, and Wii hooked up. They all look great. You wont be disappointed. Of course you would want to get extra warranty as you would with any electronic product. Good luck.

atom
04-06-2009, 08:33 PM
They aren't the most well known brand but they are huge. They sell more flat screen TV's in the US than anyone but Samsung, but they usually aren't as well reviewed as other brands. My friend has one though and I don't see that big of a difference between his TV and my Samsung.

TravisSW
04-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the info guys!

Turns out I may not be getting a Vizio.
At my work we just had the ESPN March Madness basketball game challenge. And my friend won for the second year in a row.

So he won 710$ (lol espn 710, get it?) and a 32 inch flat screen.
He said he'll sell me the flat screen for 200$. Not sure what brand, but I'd be spending 450-500$ on the Vizio.

midnight zenki
04-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Vizio is manufactured by Sony, its just not the flagship quality. They have consistently gotten great Consumer Report reviews so bang for the buck they are fine.

blackrms13
04-07-2009, 11:07 AM
AFAIK, Plasma is getting outdated, i'd stay with LCD

flip3d
04-07-2009, 02:17 PM
36'' LCD. Do it.

Pank
04-07-2009, 02:27 PM

if he can get one cheap, it doesnt matter if its getting "outdated". its not like you wont be able to watch certain movies on a plasma, or the new Xbox wont work with a plasma.

tricky_ab
04-07-2009, 03:13 PM

Wait what? Plasma's product the best PQ and black levels compared to LCDs...

theicecreamdan
04-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Vizio has a high return rate at costco.

NewS13Guy
04-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Being that I was a manager in a home entertainment department for a few years I can give you some advice.

Vizio
-good TV for the money
-Has high customer ratings because of the quality for the money
-Are made with all the bells and whistles. (4 HDMI's, 120hz, etc)
-Fairly stylish tv.
BUT>>>>>>>>
-have seen quite a few problems with them.
-picture is not as clear, vivid, or sharp as other manufactures.

If you want a decent tv for a good price, I would recommend a Vizio. But dont think you'll get the quality of a Samsung or Sony.

I can tell you first hand, I look at TV's for atleast 15 hours a day and I know which ones are prone to have problems, the defects certain models have, which ones are the best bang for the buck and so forth. If you or anyone has any questions on TVs just shoot me a PM and I'll explain anything for you.

Im not going to post my personal opinion on which TV is best because there really isnt a best. Every TV has its ups and downs, you just have to find the one that best fits you, the living area you plan on putting in, and you style of viewing.

J240sxxx
04-07-2009, 05:20 PM
when i worked for wallyworld (walmart) vizios where the only tv's that were piled up from returns to get repaired! so i wouldn't go with it unless you have a warranty fur sure!!

nycs14.5
04-07-2009, 05:33 PM
i have a 42inch vizio and the picture is great on hd movie and games. i had no issues with it and i had it over a year but warranty does help

ZX88
04-07-2009, 05:43 PM
they use to use older sharp pannels im not sure now. they are good tv for there price but you can get a 32" samsung for 699 maybe less these days.

simmode1
04-07-2009, 06:15 PM
As I was shopping for new sets, I compared the 42 inch LCD 120hz Vizio set to the 40 inch LCD 120hz Sony Bravia and was very surprised that the Vizio had a better picture IMO. The Bravia looked FANTASTIC, but a little grainy in comparison. The Vizio was just butter smooth and $300 cheaper...

drift freaq
04-07-2009, 06:26 PM
Vizio is manufactured by Sony, its just not the flagship quality. They have consistently gotten great Consumer Report reviews so bang for the buck they are fine.

Ah excuse me, no Vizio is not manufactured by Sony. Its possible they purchase and use some Sony components but Vizio's are made right here in California. In fact its Orange county from the reports I have gotten.

codunc
04-07-2009, 06:33 PM
I've had a 42" plasma for around 6 months and I like it. the black doesnt get as dark as some high-end tvs but for the price its pretty good.

Sil-Abc
04-07-2009, 06:46 PM
theres already plenty of threads about tvs, plasmas, lcds, rear projections everything. Overall u get what u pay for. I dont kno who told u that vizio is produced by sony but slap them because thats stupid. Some tv's use the same parts such as sony and samsung using screens made by samsung so in theory, your sony tv is part samsung. From my experience, if you have a sharp eye and see imperfections, vizio will make u vomit. u will see double images, shading is horrible, and quality is terrible. If its for less than 200 then go for it but anymore than that i would save my money and get something better.

Also theres a big difference between plasma and lcd but i dont want to get into that because its covered everywhere. If you're goin to stick with vizio just go with a plasma because im sure the lcds will burn out and quality will look like crap.

S14DB
04-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Ah excuse me, no Vizio is not manufactured by Sony. Its possible they purchase and use some Sony components but Vizio's are made right here in California. In fact its Orange county from the reports I have gotten.

Their cooperate offices and customer service are in Socal. The TV's are made in Taiwan just like everyone elses. The subcontract the production out to different manufactures.

midnight zenki
04-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by drift freaq

Your half wrong, and I'm half right. Sony is the parent corporation per the reps that pop in to my store. I'm sure that they sub contract it out to different plants and locals like you said though it only makes sense.

HungryHank
04-08-2009, 09:52 AM
I have 3 vizio flat big screens

all over 40"

NICE!!!!

I got all my tvs for cheap as fuck too

I love em

bardabe
04-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Mine Lags when I turn it into an HD program / channel. =/ i love it to death but i can't watch HD because the picture and audio aren't Synchronized anyway to fix that? ive tried un pluging it and resetting the tv a few times. and no luck lol

S14DB
04-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by drift freaq

Your half wrong, and I'm half right. Sony is the parent corporation per the reps that pop in to my store. I'm sure that they sub contract it out to different plants and locals like you said though it only makes sense.

Your reps are lying to you. They are trying to create hype for the product. You will then tell people what they told you and then people will think it is as good as Sony. Ask them to show you in writing(printed matter) that Sony has anything to do with Vizo and watch them clam up.

The Company was started by William Wang who worked in Taiwan for many of the TV manufactures that produce TV's for the big names. He then came to the US and made Gateway's TV line. He then realized he could do it himself and started Vizio.

Most of the TV's are made by AmTran Technology Ltd. in Taiwan. AmTran also has a large finacial stake in Vizio. The LCD pannels are made by LG in Korea. Most everyone buys LCDs from LG. Except for JVC, Sony and Samsung which are made by Samsung in Korea.

So, when the rep comes by, Have fun pwning him.

drift freaq
04-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Your reps are lying to you. They are trying to create hype for the product. You will then tell people what they told you and then people will think it is as good as Sony. Ask them to show you in writing(printed matter) that Sony has anything to do with Vizo and watch them clam up.

The Company was started by William Wang who worked in Taiwan for many of the TV manufactures that produce TV's for the big names. He then came to the US and made Gateway's TV line. He then realized he could do it himself and started Vizio.

Most of the TV's are made by AmTran Technology Ltd. in Taiwan. AmTran also has a large finacial stake in Vizio. The LCD pannels are made by LG in Korea. Most everyone buys LCDs from LG. Except for JVC, Sony and Samsung which are made by Samsung in Korea.

So, when the rep comes by, Have fun pwning him.

This man has the correct info. I stand corrected. Its a Taiwanese American that owns the company and the corporation is based here. Though like S14DB said the TV's are made in Taiwan.
Though I should add that it is technically an American company. Just like most of the American personal computer companies, i.e. Dell,Apple,HP, etc... Companies based here manufacturing oversea's.

kandyflip445
04-08-2009, 08:45 PM
W00t. I sell TV's all day and if you can get a good deal then go for it. I would look into if you can get a service plan and would probably shy away from an extended warranty.

I've seen several 'off-brand' tv's and a lot of them use panels and other larger components from some of the big companies. But the other parts like tuners and power sources and such can be from some place you've never heard of. J

ust find what looks good to you, do some research on the reliability and don't expect the best picture for a bargain price and you'll be happy with what you get.

berz
04-08-2009, 08:52 PM
just get 120 hertz