PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about migrating to Los Angeles. *suggestions. help?*

OneForMe
04-05-2009, 12:46 AM
I lived in West covina when i was 8 - 12.

then moved to Las Vegas.

but with everything going on. (car crash)

no medical coverage so im gonna have to shell out 14K, and i need to buy a car and shiet.

and sides, i stopped working for my family to be more independent.

but im still leeching at this shit house.:naw:

im not really respected in this house. (yea thats the power a step parents have)

im 18 and ill be out of highschool in 15 months.

so my plan is to move out next summer.

i think its time for me to open my wings

i am moving with my girlfriend. any suggestions ?

lflkajfj12123
04-05-2009, 12:52 AM
don't do it

a lot of people have been in your position before

and moving out at 18 is no position to be in

continue to leech and goto college

enjoy being a teenager-- everyone has had their ups and downs as one

OneForMe
04-05-2009, 12:56 AM
hahah no. its just my time.

trust me. i didnt say LA because california is like "OMFG ZOMG SO KOOOL" to every other teenager.

i just need something different.

shit im even thinking of going to phx.

and yea of course. my plan is to go to college and work.

im not gonna just get a job and fuck myself over

lflkajfj12123
04-05-2009, 01:09 AM
how are you going to pay for...

college, rent, utilities, food, car, insurance, gas, other expenses (you said girlfriend)...

on your own?

i understand its not the california mentality

its just the "i'm in over my head but still think it will work"

OneForMe
04-05-2009, 01:13 AM
eh.

i guess so.

your partly right damn !! THOSE TITS ON UR SIG make me wanna get into hentai again LOL

anyways

uhm

yea my girlfriend. i been dating her for several years. and iknow im not gonna be like cheating on her or doing lame shit. so thats pretty secured.

so thats 2 people aka 2 jobs on 1 account.

plus. were gonna probably rent a room in a house. or something.

pretty sure shell get money from her dad.

and im 100% sure ill get money from mine a month to help out.

dont think im rich and daddys gona give me 1K a month cos thats not the case.

DataXUnknown
04-05-2009, 01:19 AM
I wouldn't do it honestly. At least save up enough money for a few months, and make sure you find a secure job. Trust me you have no idea how badly I want to move out of my parents house, but I'm in debt and don't have a good enough job to move out, nor do I have a gf that would move out with me.

Well I guess you have 15 months, so during that 15 months I would work your ass off and save up money and if your like me, stay off Zilvia (Zilvia always makes me spend money)

lflkajfj12123
04-05-2009, 01:21 AM
yeah i understand being 18 and secure...

but being 18 doesn't make anything secure really

you just are now able to establish some type of credit

most places that require you to rent will do a credit check on you so they know you can pay the bills

you'll have to pay upfront for a couple months at first too

don't count on your gf's daddys money

because when she can't pay and your name is on the bill and you can't pay you're screwed

you also have to consider how expensive it is to live in the city

AND a city in california no way no how is it going to be cheap

if you get a place at 1000 dollars a month for rent its still gonna be shotty

and again main thing is you want to goto school

no way you'll be able to pay for that and complete school in 4 years while working a job

i dont know about the california pays tuiton for its residents

is that a rumour?? maybe someone can chime in

OneForMe
04-05-2009, 01:37 AM
FML.

ha

phoenix it is

LOL

hows UTI? hahah

CrimsonRockett
04-05-2009, 02:07 AM
Don't do it.

Hell, LA is expensive as fuck right now, even with the state/country being broke.

Stay at home through college if possible.

Saves SO much money.

fliprayzin240sx
04-05-2009, 07:58 AM
Theres always the military if you really gotta get away...just throwing that out there.

RiversideS13
04-05-2009, 01:00 PM
everyone here is telling you don't do it, so here is the answer: DON'T DO IT

wtf are you gonna do here? unemployee rate is rocking high and tax and living expense is high too.

lflkajfj12123
04-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Theres always the military if you really gotta get away...just throwing that out there.

very true

i considered it for a while

great opportunities

ItsToo
04-05-2009, 01:09 PM
stay home buddy. I just turned 19 and am working a 40 hour gse mechanic job and am a fulltime student living at home, and i still feel broke at the end of the week. Mooch as long as you can. You have got to expect the unexpected when it comes to money.

Ithical
04-05-2009, 01:14 PM
with just a hs degree your likelyhood of getting a job is slim with the economy, stay at home save money up, go to college then leave, I'm working on my 2nd degree and still living at home, can't find a job at all (little work exp.) even with my first degree.

Farzam
04-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Rent here is $550+utilities 1br or $800ish for a 2br so /2= 400+utilities
Multiply that by 12
That's how much money you could be putting into getting a new car...

Just get a couple jobs. Work your ass off. Hate your life. Don't do much besides working, banging the gf, eating, sleeping, and the occasional party/track day.

Focus more on your shorter term goals than your longer terms. Be determined, but always try to figure out some RISK FREE, LEGAL loopholes.

I've been in stupid amounts of debt in the past 3 years. I've done legitimate things, i've done very stupid things, but I DID THINGS to change the outcome of what it could be. I got respect from my family but now they know I can take care of myself so the only things they'll do for me is invite me for dinner. Most of my stuff is still at their house but I sleep there twice a month. I can't afford to move out but I can't afford to drive from their house to my workplace...so I just act like a bum, but noone really cares cause i've let people do the same at my old places.

Soooooo long story short...go to school, be a doctor, and don't move in with your gf.

HyperTek
04-05-2009, 03:57 PM

military looks pretty freaking good right now if you werent smart enough to get a college scholarship while in highschool, wish i had looked into that when i was younger.. IF you take it seriously you can get alot out of joining the military and move on after it with teh education you get if you do something really techy while ur in it.

Advice: quit cars now if your really into them... you dont want to be like the many of us mid 20s guys who took cars more seriously than anything and took community college course while working to build up your car, this was a failure on my part.

svensko
04-05-2009, 04:50 PM
your partly right damn !! THOSE TITS ON UR SIG make me wanna get into hentai again LOL

Firstly, WTF?

Secondly, this is the dumbest thing you could ever do, EVER! :bowrofl:

Do you have any skills to get you a job at 18? Any credit to get loans for college? Get a college degree then try again.

ronmcdon
04-05-2009, 05:40 PM
you're young so you can and should see more of the world.
los angeles would be a good place to start.

worst case scenario, you don't like it and move back home or somewhere else. so what?
at least you're moving to closest center of civilization.
it's actually very low risk.

I would advise against living in areas like the san fernando valley, north-ridge (unless you go to school there), k-town (apt buildings reek of garlic), & the san gabriel valley (unless chinese food is your passion). those are some of the more undesirable areas imo.

pasadena or downtown la might be a good choice, seeing how it's close to Covina.
long beach would not be a bad idea either, considering it's close to LA and the OC.
OC might actually be a better place for decent paying work and corporate jobs.

in all honestly though, west covina is like 30-45 mins drive to most parts of LA.
I live in West LA, and it takes me about 30-45 mins to get most places anyhow traffic willing.
it's not worth the hassle to relocate for the sake of proximity.
it is worth it, if you need a change of scenery and experience something different.

svensko
04-05-2009, 05:43 PM
you're young so you can and should see more of the world.
los angeles would be a good place to start.

worst case scenario, you don't like it and move back home or somewhere else. so what?

I would advise against living in areas like the san fernando valley, north-ridge (unless you go to school there), k-town (apt buildings reek of garlic), & the san gabriel valley (unless chinese food is your passion). those are some of the more undesirable areas imo.

in all honestly though, west covina is like 30-45 mins drive to most parts of LA. I live in West LA, and it takes me about 30-45 mins to get most places anyhow traffic willing. it's not worth the hassle to relocate for the sake of proximity.

I will say that the key to happiness in la is to live close to where you work.
it's not a bad city per say, but the commute & traffic can make it hell.

Did you miss the part where he has no appreciable education and is going to be flipping burgers? It's nice to go out and see the world but not when a few grand of debt is knocking at your door! :hyper:

BTW, op, how long have you been dating your girlfriend?

implayaz9
04-05-2009, 05:53 PM
dont depend on ur girl even though u have been dated for a while.... things change people change.. u have make ur base stronger for yourself first before u help other or visa versa.. and that u can only do.. if u wanna move to LA, move thinking that u have no support and start searching for jobs and stuff ahead of time.. u have 15months which is a lot of time to do research and ask questions.. LA is an awsome place but its costs money to live plus money to go school.

ESmorz
04-05-2009, 05:57 PM

Two kids at 20 and going nowhere fast. All the while violently masturbating to animated titties and tentacle rape.

signed, (future)OneForMe

SochBAT
04-06-2009, 12:14 AM
Seriously, leech as much as you can, then bounce after getting a degree.

98s14inaz
04-06-2009, 12:54 AM
Might as well buy a spare 240 or two before you go to LA because you shit will get stolen.

duffman1278
04-06-2009, 01:09 AM
Stay at home while going to COLLEGE

Get an education.

Get a waaaaay better job than you'll probably have if you move out.

Be happier.

Life is annoying in HS duh lol

And don't move out with your girlfriend you're only 18, don't do it.

ALTRNTV
04-06-2009, 01:32 AM
You are 18 with no education, not even a high school diploma yet. Don't do it.

revat619
04-06-2009, 01:49 AM
yeah dont do it. for all aforementioned reasons. Oh yeah and LA sucks. I live there now and its a shithole compared to San Diego where i'm from. The only thing that keeps me sane is the fact that i can catch every Laker game on TV.

But i digress. yeah...dont move.

ALTRNTV
04-06-2009, 02:09 AM
Jay, you moved to LA? Where to? I miss it. :naw::cry:

SochBAT
04-06-2009, 02:12 AM
Same here.

Never knew you moved out of SD. Because obviously, PG is in SD. haha

revat619
04-06-2009, 03:01 AM
haha yeah i just moved here for school....well more for track and field actually. I'm at CSULA. They're gonna be paying for some stuff so its cool, otherwise i would have never left SD. I live in an on campus apartment with a couple other dudes. Its pretty chill. I'm definitely not living here permanently though. Once school is done, i'm back to SD. i love it there. and yeah i'm not at PG at the moment, but i still have my shop email and can answer some stuff, but its better if you just call the shop directly.

back on topic, dont leave...especially with some broad. You're dumb if you do. lol

SochBAT
04-06-2009, 05:05 AM
Us SoCal-ers will find you and punch you.

Taniguchi_Is_#1
04-06-2009, 05:26 AM
yvan eht nioj.

get stationed in SD. done and done.

LeftNutOfGowd
04-06-2009, 08:57 AM
Do it move to west hollywood lol

ALTRNTV
04-06-2009, 07:46 PM
haha yeah i just moved here for school....well more for track and field actually. I'm at CSULA. They're gonna be paying for some stuff so its cool, otherwise i would have never left SD. I live in an on campus apartment with a couple other dudes. Its pretty chill. I'm definitely not living here permanently though. Once school is done, i'm back to SD. i love it there. and yeah i'm not at PG at the moment, but i still have my shop email and can answer some stuff, but its better if you just call the shop directly.

back on topic, dont leave...especially with some broad. You're dumb if you do. lol
This is off-topic chat, so I'll continue with it. :keke:

I feel you on the school part and moving back. I moved to the Fresno area last year for school, and I miss LA so much.
Fresno is a shithole. I'll be moving back down south next year after graduation.

To the OP, don't do it, and like other's said before, not with a girl. You may think you two are fine right now, but
you'll learn that it's not always what it seems. Believe me.