PDA

View Full Version : Help !! Car turned off in the middle of the highway...

wh0aitznic0
04-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Yesterday while I was on the way to class on Route 1, my car (SOHC) started sputtering and died while I was in 5th gear going around 70. It felt like the time when I ran out of gas (around this time last year). I pulled over to the side of the road and tried to start it. The motor would crank over but wouldn't cut on as if I had run out of gas. I had just filled up the day before and I was on half a tank. I check under the hood if all the connectors were still attatched like the ignition coil and maf and everything's still on. Fortunately, a maroon S14 owner named Bart saw me on the side of the road and stopped to see if everything was alright and even called a tow truck to come bring my car home. What pissed me off the worst is that after damaging the bottom of my bumper getting on the flatbed and still shelling out money for the tow truck, I try starting the car again and it starts !! A friend of mine who graduated UTI said he thinks it has something to do with my fuel while Bart (the S14 who stopped to help) said something in my electrical system overheated and then cooled down on the flatbed. Either way, I changed my fuel filter to a new 300ZX unit and I installed a new Accel ignition I had laying around in my basement. My question is, what do you guys think the problem was? Another suggestion I got was my dizzy is going bad or my fuel pump is going bad (I doubt it).Thanks for any help.

240Driver39
04-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Well, i had a similar problem on my dohc s13. Cut out on me when cruising on the highway (then many other places eventually) and i'd wait a few min and it would start back up. When it didnt want to start, it would crank and crank. It finally happened to me when i had someone with me and i could troubleshoot. No spark. Swapped in a new distributor and she was good to go.

I picked up a used distributor (40 bux) so a pretty cheap fix to try before you get stranded again.

aziankingz
04-05-2009, 06:06 PM
i just had the same exact issue today.. it was the fuel pump.. check the fuse to see if its blown and swap with a new one..

bbejj123
04-05-2009, 06:18 PM
i had the same problem it was a combination of the fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator, but if you dont think your fuel pump is bad try getting a new fuel pressure regulator and as said above check your fuses make sure theyre in all the way and not blown, but i dont think it would start again if it was a fuse =/