PDA

View Full Version : 3" High-Flow Catco Catalyser Review.

HaLo
03-16-2003, 08:38 PM
Pros:
- No more stalling when depressing on clutch.
- Absorbs some sound (very nice tone now on the exhaust, I love it!!!)
- Butt dyno didn't notice power losses.
- Less backfire and smells better. ;)

Cons:
- Rev slower / Unrevs slower too
- Full boost at 3500-3750 RPM instead of 3000RPM
- Barely hear the turbo spooling up

Overall, I love it. I know I will lose some power when I start boosting it (16 psi). However, what is 40-50 crank hp more going to do for me on street driving? I have a test pipe for track events. I love how it quieted down the exhaust. It's almost as quiet as a KA with 2.25" crush bent piping, cat, glasspack and muffler. :)

nismofeind
03-16-2003, 08:57 PM
wait what are you comparing this to a test pipe i hope??

other wise you would be confusing me.

Feind

HaLo
03-16-2003, 09:15 PM
Yes, it's compared to a test pipe.

DuffMan
03-16-2003, 09:31 PM
Hmm I think catco cats are relatively restrictive as far as high flow cats go. I got a carsound one but It's going to be permanently on the car. I hope i don't loose more than a few hp from it.

HaLo
03-16-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by DuffMan
Hmm I think catco cats are relatively restrictive as far as high flow cats go. I got a carsound one but It's going to be permanently on the car. I hope i don't loose more than a few hp from it.

It's quite possible. At least now, I am "smog legal" (I can pass tests in my area) and my car does fine with it.

If you have a turbo, you'll lose more then a few hps. ;) Just like me. Except I haven't felt the loss yet.

uiuc240
03-16-2003, 09:41 PM
wow. that is some suck hp loss you mention. i'm wondering if the test pipe is the way i should go. i know that's bad for the environment, but it's not going to be a "daily driver" much longer

thoughts?

Eric

DuffMan
03-16-2003, 09:42 PM
You are probably right. I'm wondering if the engine is flowing less air than the cat is rated at in cfm, will there still be a lot of power loss.

nismofeind
03-16-2003, 09:49 PM
well the high flow cat is a lot better than a stock cat. which i will be stuck with for a while.

uiuc240
03-16-2003, 09:52 PM
yeah, i'm still rocking my stock one. i need something new, but i'm not so sure i want to spend the cash on a high-flow if it chokes mad power.

Eric

Bliss
03-16-2003, 09:54 PM
Sorry, do you mean catalytic converter? Or am I just totally lost?

uiuc240
03-16-2003, 10:02 PM
yes, "catalyser" is British english for Catalytic Converter. Halo is Quebecoise, non? Hence, he probably has some lingering British spelling, like "colour" and "favourite"...stuff like that.

Eric

Bliss
03-16-2003, 10:07 PM
Thanks, I thought I was going crazy.

HaLo
03-16-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by uiuc240
wow. that is some suck hp loss you mention. i'm wondering if the test pipe is the way i should go. i know that's bad for the environment, but it's not going to be a "daily driver" much longer

thoughts?

Eric

Well, that's all an approximation... I was told losses on 300whp would be something like 20-30whp with a catalytic converter (haha! Yes I am a Quebecois(Quebecer), hence the weird British spelling. However, I do write color and favorite). If you are not planning on running it on the street, I'd say take it off. If not, keep it. The test-pipe does get the turbo to spool quicker but you lose a lot of low-end on the car. I had no power whatsoever before the turbo kicked it with the test-pipe.

Duffman: You do point out something interesting. I do believe thought that turbulence caused by the cat will slow the air, even if the CFM is higher than what the engine flows. I'm a stock boost and I noticed the the turbo takes more time to spool. That means it doesn't flow as well...