PDA

View Full Version : s13 sway bar help!!

Audio Puppet
03-27-2009, 12:46 AM
im looking in to buying a set of s13 sway bars. but i was trying to find out, whats the best set up for a drifting and whats the best recommended brand?:newbie:

HYPNOTIK
03-27-2009, 04:53 AM
It's mostly personal preference. I big rear bar will cause you to oversteer and a big front bar will cause you to understeer. Brand shouldn't matter as long as you don't get a pos hollow one, it's just a bar. Right now I have a 28mm bar in the back and stock on the front and it oversteers BAD, I want to put a 28 or 30mm in the front to hopefully even it back out.

s13tilldeath*
03-27-2009, 06:45 AM
like the guy above me said just a bar, brand really doesnt matter....
i have a j30 sway that you can put on you car for 45 shipped.... its 28mm

Audio Puppet
03-27-2009, 07:52 AM
So pretty much I have to play around with the sizes. Thanks for the info is there anything I have to do when I install them or the fit good?

Sileighty_85
03-27-2009, 08:32 AM

WTH? J30's Front Sways bolt up to an S13? I never heard that.
If this is true that awsome, i know where one is right now.

4x4le
03-28-2009, 02:07 AM
you have to be carefull if you have an sr with a greddy oil pan. Some sway bars like to hit that pan. Im having to sale my whiteline sway bar because its touching my pan now that I dumpped the car off on the ground.

wangan_cruiser
03-28-2009, 04:29 AM

i want to see a pic of this installed to a car. or ill call it a bullshit.

s13tilldeath*
03-28-2009, 09:15 AM
;)haha im not 100% sure about it.... This is what i was told.....

I think this weekend im going to try it and ill take pictures for ya.....

Enna
03-28-2009, 11:04 AM
Seriously. I'm so ready to throw the :bs: on that. If it does work tho, I know of a couple in the junkyard :naughty:

redsx13
03-30-2009, 02:55 PM
It really doesn't matter for drifting.

If you want less over steer then get bigger/better tires. I had an over steer issues as well, and that's what i did to fix it. You can also dial in your rear camber, if your lowered your probably too negative, so you have a smaller contact patch.

traded13b-4-240
03-30-2009, 07:28 PM
yeah im having the same problem! lol i just need a brand thrown at me!

s13tilldeath*
03-30-2009, 07:43 PM
okay j30 sway works on a s14......

Arent s14's a little wider than s13's or are they the same?

4x4le
03-30-2009, 08:15 PM
I have been using a set of whiteline swaybars and I really loved them. When adjusting the tension stiffer up front you could feel how much more crisp the turn in was. Like I mentioned earlier, I am selling it due to it not clearing my greddy oil pan. Im only selling the front because the rear dont interfear with anything.
240SX Forums (http://www.240sxforums.com/forums/s13-parts-f-s/120144-whiteline-front-sway-bar-w-endlinks-fs.html#post1375825)

91SuperS13
03-30-2009, 11:57 PM
I'm runnin whitelines on my s13 too. I have three way adjustables up front and two way in the rear. Because of the stock suspension set up, anything stiffer than stock in the back will make you oversteer. To pull a g on the skid pad (meaning trying to find grip) SCC pulled the rear sway bar off and adjusted their whitelines adjustables to full stiff up front. They hit their goal of a g, but keep in mind that it was achieved power on.

So, to my point, you run anything stiffer than stock on the rear, you're gonna set the back end free with oversteer. But the question is, how much oversteer is too much for what you're doing...

The rest is up to you.

... but to help out just go here
http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/suspensionbars.html

Some people will steer you away from Whiteline's because they don't like the linkage on the ends. But it all depends on how much you care about stuff like that. I love mine, and they come with polyurethane bushings designed specifically for Whiteline sways. They aren't the thickets out there, but I don't track my car, and even if I did, the Whitelines at 27mm are just fine.

redsx13
03-31-2009, 01:44 AM
Im still trying to figure out why in the "Drift Bible" the drift king (Keiichi Tsuchiya) said that s13's where notorious for understeer.

For those of you who have no clue what I'm talking about, its a video about how to drift which can be found on youtube. I watched it a long time ago, honestly, if you are trying to learn how to drift don't watch it, it makes it drifting seem way more confusing than it really is.

azndoc
03-31-2009, 02:24 AM
Im still trying to figure out why in the "Drift Bible" the drift king (Keiichi Tsuchiya) said that s13's where notorious for understeer.

For those of you who have no clue what I'm talking about, its a video about how to drift which can be found on youtube. I watched it a long time ago, honestly, if you are trying to learn how to drift don't watch it, it makes it drifting seem way more confusing than it really is.

God I love that statement.

Its like so innocent.

I use Tanabe front and rear sway bars. I mean for the front seriously its almost about the same. The rear is a huge difference.

The rears depending on what actions you would like the rear to do. Most people I know either still run stock or hicas bars so that its easier for them to squat the car, which as a noob you wouldn't need to concern yourself with.

With S13 being known for understeer I don't see how? It really depends on your suspension set up and chassis set up. Some say the nismo power brace adds understeer. But most of the time it just depends on your suspension set up. Or a lot of times its your tire set up. Grippier tires in the rear can cause understeer.

I don't know, I'm just a poser.

91SuperS13
04-01-2009, 09:08 PM
With S13 being known for understeer I don't see how?

Tsuchiya-dono actually said that the S13 was difficult to drift because it lacked weight in the front end, making weight transfer harder. Meaning more dramatic inputs to do feints. Thats why he suggests using the "side-o brake-e" to start drifts in the S13.

Keep in mind that the S13 he is drifting has a SR in it, not the iron block-ed KA that we're used to.