PDA

View Full Version : stock 240 questions for an rb install

Senko
03-13-2003, 08:27 PM
Hello everyone! ive recently done some searches, and have been having a hard time fniding some info on how much HP and what not stock 240 parts can handle.

Currently i am planning out an rb25det install into a 240sx (probly 89 - 91) model. but i want to make sure i have all the proper cash info im going to need. so let me get started with the questions.

How much HP can the stock rear on a 240 take?
for those of you who have done the swap, do i need to change trannies?
where are some places i can buy front clips with an rb25det?
what problems have you who have done the swap noticed after it was finished?
are there any long term effects that need to be worked out?

Also if any of these parts DO need to be changed, do you know prices and places i can get them from? thank you.

AKADriver
03-13-2003, 10:59 PM
- How much HP can the stock rear on a 240 take?

Lots. The diff has served well behind 400+hp engines.

- for those of you who have done the swap, do i need to change trannies?

I haven't done it, but the answer is a most definite YES. Nissan RWD engine swaps generally require a transmission change. Engines are sold with the transmissions as a unit 99% of the time.

- where are some places i can buy front clips with an rb25det?

Venus auto, Unstable Hybrids.

Senko
03-13-2003, 11:57 PM
ok, what year 240 is that true for? cuase im planning on working with a 89 - 91 240, (and planning on a new rear end) unless a 95 SE is cheaper overall (btw if anyone has a 95 240 SE or lower with a blown engine they are willing to sell for cheap, please let me know)

SilviaDriver
03-14-2003, 12:13 AM
http://240skyline.nissanpower.com

talk to him. he says he has a RB25 powered s13. but i never seen clips or pics of the finished product. so i cant say i believe him 100%..i also heard he was trying a RB25 in an accord.:rolleyes:

fast-datsun
03-14-2003, 09:21 AM
There is a 240/RB25DET in Jannuary 03 Modified MAG if you want to look at one..

Senko
03-15-2003, 01:26 PM
the modified mag eh? cool. ok now i got some more stuff.. im in Houston texas, and depending on whats cheaper, i might have a clip shipped in vs buying one thats allready here. if so im gonna need a shop who wouldnt mind helping me put the engine in. if anyone in the houston area knows of a shop that can help please hook it up.

SuperAsian
03-15-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by SilviaDriver
http://240skyline.nissanpower.com

talk to him. he says he has a RB25 powered s13. but i never seen clips or pics of the finished product. so i cant say i believe him 100%..i also heard he was trying a RB25 in an accord.:rolleyes:

there were pics on his website with the motor inside the engine bay...

Steeles
03-15-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by SuperAsian
there were pics on his website with the motor inside the engine bay...

and? I could drop a lamborghini V12 in an engine bay for a couple of pictures... dosent mean its works.

as for your quest Senko I think you need to do TONS MORE RESEARCH. before buying anything.

Senko
03-17-2003, 07:41 AM
ok guys heres an update. with figures.

good news.
im getting a skyline front clip from japan without having to pay shipping thanks to a freind whos in the navy and living in japan right now. so far average cost for the clips we are looking at is 1000$ us or less.
ive gotten a hookup on an rb30 engine as well from australia, i know a guy there whos got extras and is gonna give me one all i gotta pay for is shipping. so im gonna be able to do an rb25/30 hybrid block when it gets here.
ive talked to 6 people who has done the install so far, they say is about as much of a headache as an sr20 install. and the only extra part im gonna need is a new downpipe which i can get from a guy in seattle who does the installs. gonna cost 100$. and the stock engine mounts out of the skyline front clip WILL FIT so i wont need any fabrication for those.
im gonna need a new rearend to support the estimated hp im gonna have (the stock rear that can handle 400 isnt gonna be enough) but i got a guy in fla whos gonna ship me one for about 200$ + shipping.

the bad news.
the front clip and rb30 engine wont be here for about 4 months cuase of how im getting them. and its gonna take me a bit more time to get the cash for the rb25/30 hybrid build. so over all downtime is 6 months estimated. :(

lbcklik1486
03-17-2003, 05:24 PM
For the rb25 install, is there any clutch that can fit on the rb, other than the ones for the rb, ie: 300zx, 240sx, etc. Also, about the power lines being on the wrong side for the 89-90 year models, would I just use the ones from the 91+? Lastly about the crossmembers and undercarraige, I've heard you need to use the r33 undercarraige, and I'm still shady about the crossmembers, I've heard that you can flip them and they'll fit, and I've heard you need different ones. Any help would be appreciated.:)