View Full Version : Car overheating issues!

Nibras
03-20-2009, 08:37 AM
i own a 1996 se , and i am having a issue with my car getting really hot when i tend to lets say press on the gas , i watch the tempertaure gauge and it will climb if i press on the gas a little bit harder then normal and if i release it will slowly go back to normal. i know it's not the thermostat cause i took it out seeing as i live in FL no need for it.

but other then that i am not sure

cotbu
03-21-2009, 03:02 AM
check timing, then thermistor for faults along with ecu for codes. then fork out some cheese for a real temp gauge, when you don't find the problem.

gotspins13
03-21-2009, 03:10 AM
check all that he said^^^ if that doesnt work, drain some oil and put in the light and look close if you see any little speck of coolent,,, you got a blown head gasket. they cuase over heating like that.

idlafie
03-22-2009, 03:38 AM
i own a 1996 se , and i am having a issue with my car getting really hot when i tend to lets say press on the gas , i watch the tempertaure gauge and it will climb if i press on the gas a little bit harder then normal and if i release it will slowly go back to normal. i know it's not the thermostat cause i took it out seeing as i live in FL no need for it.

but other then that i am not sure

stick with the basics!!!....When was the last time you serviced your radiator?? A partially clogged radiator can cause your dash gauge thermostat to fluctuate. The little cooling fins inside the radiator could be clogged with sediment from lack of care. If that's the case, then you'll have to take your radiator to a radiator shop & have the radiator chemically flushed to get out all those sediment deposits clogging your radiator.

Anyhow, hope this helps...
ID

godsmack
03-22-2009, 03:18 PM
When you took ur thermostat out did u gut it or take it out completely? If you took it out completely sometimes the opening will colapse and not let any water in the motor.

420sx
03-22-2009, 06:18 PM
take of the water pump and the thermostat housing, make sure its not clogged. give it a good cleaning. might as well throw in 50$ and buy new water pump.

just run no thermo, unless u want to pay 10 more for stock.

you can also take stock and poke holes through it. this way it will let some water through and still open when u get to the right temp

drkidd22
03-23-2009, 11:21 AM
My car was doing this and it turned out it was running a little rich and also top radiator hose had a really small leak on it.

opponheimer
03-23-2009, 01:03 PM
My car was doing this and it turned out it was running a little rich and also top radiator hose had a really small leak on it.

running rich doesn't cause a car to overheat funny boy :cops:

The OP obviously needs to take his car to a mechanic if he doesnt know what to look for in the first place..

silpena
03-23-2009, 02:05 PM
ever try just replacing the radiator cap? it could be bad.... its only like 8.00 doesnt hurt to try. Id go to the cheapest solutions first then go start spending big $$ to figure it out

DCP94
03-23-2009, 02:16 PM
check all that he said^^^ if that doesnt work, drain some oil and put in the light and look close if you see any little speck of coolent,,, you got a blown head gasket. they cuase over heating like that.

you can just do a compression test to see if the head gasket is blown

stick with the basics!!!....When was the last time you serviced your radiator?? A partially clogged radiator can cause your dash gauge thermostat to fluctuate. The little cooling fins inside the radiator could be clogged with sediment from lack of care. If that's the case, then you'll have to take your radiator to a radiator shop & have the radiator chemically flushed to get out all those sediment deposits clogging your radiator.

do what he said imo its more common than you think

bardabe
03-23-2009, 02:28 PM
or you can bleed your coolant system. sounds to me like there are air bubbles in the system. pretty common with KA's as they are a pain in the ass to bleed properly

KA240failure
05-07-2009, 03:14 PM
put a thermostat in it doesnt matter where you live with out one
the water/coolant is traveling to fast around the engine and not staying
in the radiator long enough to cool down in turn cooling your engine down

jspeedm
05-08-2009, 04:14 PM
put a thermostat in it doesnt matter where you live with out one
the water/coolant is traveling to fast around the engine and not staying
in the radiator long enough to cool down in turn cooling your engine down

agreed. put the tstat back in. running with out one will overheat your engine and cause knock. the coolant isn't in the engine long enough to remove the heat from the cylinders.

wickedjester
05-08-2009, 04:21 PM
+1 for them ^^^