PDA

View Full Version : The first rule of fight club...

Phlip
03-19-2009, 02:08 PM
High school held cage fights, records show - Education- msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29774152)

Texas high school held cage fights, records say
Staff allegedly staged 'gladiator-style' brawls for troubled students
msnbc.com staff and news service reports
updated 11:47 a.m. ET, Thurs., March. 19, 2009

DALLAS - A Dallas high school staged "gladiator-style" cage fights among troubled students, making them settle their differences with bare-knuckled brawls inside a boys locker room, according to school district documents.

The principal and other employees at South Oak Cliff High School "knew of the practice, allowed it to go on for a time, and failed to report it," according to a 2008 report revealed Thursday. The fights, unleashed inside a steel utility cage, happened between 2003 and 2005, the report said.

The Dallas Morning News obtained the documents for a story in its Thursday editions.

"It was gladiator-style entertainment for the staff," Frank Hammond, a middle school counselor, told the Morning News. Hammond was fired from South Oak Cliff and has filed a whistleblower lawsuit. "They were taking these boys downstairs to fight. And it was sanctioned by the principal and security."

District investigators first learned of the fights during a probe into the school's unauthorized fundraising and grade-changing for athletes that cost the school its 2006 boys state basketball championship, the Dallas Morning News reported.

"The cage" was inside a section of the boys basketball locker room barricaded by wire mesh and metal lockers, according to the report. Security monitors used it to let students settle their differences.

Former Principal Donald Moten denied the allegations, saying he had nothing to comment on because the fights never happened.

"That's barbaric. You can't do that at a high school. You can't do that anywhere," Moten told the Morning News.

Moten resigned during the grade-changing investigation.

District Superintendent Michael Hinojosa, however, confirmed that there were "some things that happened inside of a cage" and said that the fights were "unacceptable," the Dallas newspaper reported. He told the paper that criminal charges were not filed but that "there was discipline taken."

School board members have called for another investigation.

murda-c
03-19-2009, 02:33 PM
lol epic win.

as if kids weren't stupid enough without the head trauma.

not that i wouldn't have thoroughly enjoyed this.

Otto347
03-19-2009, 03:25 PM
Security monitors used it to let students settle their differences.

Fuck yes! No guns or shootings. I couldn't imagine how much shit would have been taken care of at my high school if two kids had a problem. Can you imagine walking into the principals office and telling him you had a problem with so and so and he says "Ok after school you and so and so...cage match downstairs" :rofl: FUCK YES!

lflkajfj12123
03-19-2009, 03:34 PM
sounds like a fairy tale

enkei2k
03-19-2009, 03:40 PM
too good to be true...i wish my highschool had this shit going down.

btw, what's wrong with training future UFC people?

i approve. hahaha /sarcasm

Future240
03-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Part of me approves, part of me says no.

spoolandslide
03-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Sounds like a badass high school.

I approve!

kinda reminds me of a movie....
http://www.sonicblue.us/images/NEVER_BACK_DOWN.jpg

Taniguchi_Is_#1
03-19-2009, 03:47 PM
tejas. serious business.

Future240
03-19-2009, 03:48 PM
http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/6/22/633496903462134070-fight-club.jpg

SochBAT
03-19-2009, 04:15 PM
FightClub can be argued as Calvin and Hobbes.

Calvin is forced to grow up by his father, which takes presidence in the movie as anger towards his father. Hobbes was mentally removed due to Calvin's growing up and has been suppressed.

Years later, Hobbes breaks free and becomes Tyler. Yay!

Susie is seen as the slutbag.

Moe is the titted fatman that Calvin hugs.

soreballz
03-19-2009, 04:16 PM
^That analogy made my brain tickle.

I wish my high school would've had this. I never would've been suspended all those times. lol

cc4usmc
03-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Sounds good. Kids should be tougher, not the other way around.

Gnnr
03-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Texas, fuck yeah!

Xbroke_kidX
03-19-2009, 08:13 PM
The kids that go to a highschool by my house have a fight club in a backyard. You go stand around and people just call each other out and start fighting. Pretty lame.
Doesnt really make them any tougher. There still a bunch of bored ritch kids. Just beat up ritch kids.

Sleepy240
03-19-2009, 08:31 PM
this story made my day, i couldn't help but laugh. i mean it wasn't really RIGHT that the teachers staged all this, but if you think about it... it is a solid way for kids to solve their differences. I mean you smack the crap out of each other and then its over and done with. None of this people bringing guns and bombs to school etc.

WERDdabuilder
03-19-2009, 08:35 PM
gotta weed out the pussies/squares.

i approve of this.

CAGE FIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

Vision Garage
03-20-2009, 12:27 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/17/Michael_Buffer_Fight_For_Children_Washington_DC_No v_2007.JPG

All I can say!

Teknolust72
03-20-2009, 12:28 AM
They should incorporate this into workplaces/offices.....

ayuaddict
03-20-2009, 03:24 AM
its the most basic part of being alive.

GSXRJJordan
03-20-2009, 04:12 AM
Yup, I agree - it would settle a lot of the latent hostility that is inherent to high school... I know I would have had a much better time if I had been able to fight the people I had problems with, win or lose...

...I didn't get to do that until I joined the Navy :)

It really does give you a sense of your place in "the group" when you look around and think "I can take him, I might be able to take him, but I'm not going to say shit to that guy because I know what he can do..." lol.

rps13drift
03-20-2009, 04:50 AM
I like this alot! LOL

crazybb
03-20-2009, 06:08 AM
when i was in jr. high it happen a couple of times... except they let us put on boxing gloves.. lol... fun to watch..

xs240
03-20-2009, 06:22 AM
haahahahaah this is awesome!

Phlip
03-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Damn!!!
Texas again?!!?
'Fight club' probed at home for disabled - Crime & courts- msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29618496/)

'Fight club' probed at home for disabled
Seven employees suspended at state-run school in Texas; charges expected
http://msnbcmedia1.msn.com/i/msnbc/Components/Sources/Art/APTRANS.gif
updated 7:46 p.m. ET, Tues., March. 10, 2009
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - Seven employees of a state-run home for the mentally disabled in Texas have been suspended for staging fights between residents who were forced to shove, punch and strike each other, authorities said Tuesday.

Police learned of the fights when someone gave a cell phone containing videos of the brawls at the Corpus Christi State School to an off-duty officer on Friday, police Captain Tim Wilson said by phone from Corpus Christi, in the southern part of the state.

"Workers were running their own fight club using clients. It's pretty appalling that someone would think of this," he said.

In the videos, which show several fights dating back to 2007, mentally disabled male residents can be seen fighting each other while the employees watch. In one video, a disabled resident raises his hands in victory after a bout, Wilson said.

"It's pretty appalling. I've been in police work over 30 years and I've never anything like this," he said. "These people who were charged with caring for these clients were exploiting them for entertainment."

Charges expected
Police expect to file charges later this week, said Wilson. Most of the employees seen in the videos have been identified, he said.

Laura Albrecht, a spokeswoman for the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services, which oversees the institutions known as state schools, said the videos show seven current and four former employees. The current employees have been placed on emergency leave pending the investigation.

"Any abuse or neglect of residents placed in our care will not be tolerated," said Albrecht.

These are the latest in a spate of abuse allegations against state school employees in recent years.

A 2008 federal report cited 53 deaths linked to preventable conditions at the institutions. The report also called hundreds of reports of abuse and injuries to patients "disturbingly high."

The school opened in 1970 and is home to about 360 people, according to the Web site of the state Department of Aging and Disability Services.

adam s
03-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Jeez, I just love TX, no REF's and High School fight clubs.

Please and thank you I say.

03-20-2009, 10:23 AM
They should incorporate this into workplaces/offices.....

Absolutely, I'm not even kidding either. 100% win.

Oh man I would love to get in a cage with a few of my coworkers and beat the piss out of them and get a promotion and not fired for it.

Gnnr
03-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Damn!!!
Texas again?!!?
'Fight club' probed at home for disabled - Crime & courts- msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29618496/)

Awww see, that's not cool. :nono:

WERDdabuilder
03-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Absolutely, I'm not even kidding either. 100% win.

Oh man I would love to get in a cage with a few of my coworkers and beat the piss out of them and get a promotion and not fired for it.

if this ever happened it would be funny if the loser was fired ha.

GG6TWB8aebY

theme song for TX.

Future240
03-20-2009, 03:42 PM
The disabled people one was fucked up.

ESmorz
03-20-2009, 04:02 PM
The disabled people one was fucked up.

x4blfwe8DnI

kevmeistah21
03-20-2009, 04:13 PM
^^^ lol at the end when he falls, his trainer just laughs and walks away!!!