PDA

View Full Version : help latch for hatch

infamous240sx
03-17-2009, 11:40 PM
I was wondering if anyone could help me find out the problem why my hatch wont stay open after i release the hatch lever. I would have to hold the lever up and ask someone to open the hatch or use my key to open it up. I don't know if it's a common issue with the hatchbacks but its really annoying. I went to the junkyard and got another latch, thinking that my latch for the trunk was broken, but when i switched it out it didn't work also. anyone else have this same issue let me know how you fixed it. Thanks

nissan180sxer
03-18-2009, 12:17 AM
i had that problem too, I used to stick something underneath the lever or use the seatbelt to hold it up then go open the hatch. i think it might be the hatch dampers?

infamous240sx
03-18-2009, 12:46 AM
no the dampeners work fine. my friends say its a common issue with the hatchbacks.

DataXUnknown
03-18-2009, 12:56 AM
I have the same issue with mine. It doesn't "pop" like many others do. I'm thinking it does have somthing to do with the hatch struts, they may hold the hatch up, but they need to actually PUSH the hatch up, and should be pushing constantly therefore when you click the trunk release it should sorta pop up leaving you to just give it a small bit of help to reach the top.

That would be my input on this issue.

infamous240sx
03-18-2009, 01:53 AM
ill take it in consideration and try to see if thats the problem tomorrow morning. If it is then that means new strut dampeners for me. You guys know of a place that sells them for cheap?

Xbroke_kidX
03-18-2009, 08:35 PM
junkyard.

msg length.

DataXUnknown
03-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Junkyard may be cheap, but definetly not what your looking for. I got mine from the junkyard (for SUPER cheap btw ;)). On the car, they held up the hatch perfectly fine, but when I took them off and took them home, they were horrible and didn't hold up my hatch.

I would go with brand new ones if I were you. You will most likely pay around $30 for them. FRSport.com sells them I know.

LOUD240
03-18-2009, 11:47 PM
I had this problem the fix is easy!
there are two10mm bolts holding the bar catch on the panel where the latch on the hatch grabs... loosen it up slide it down maybe a 16th to an eighth of an inch and try it should work like a charm !

aoiken3
03-18-2009, 11:50 PM
have the same prob on my hatch, only the hatch stays unlocked if there is no sudden motion of the car such as the doors closing. on my other hatch, the struts work just as well as a cardboard spoiler

LOUD240
03-19-2009, 12:10 AM
there is no adjustment on the latch just the metal bar just move it up or down to correct the release