PDA

View Full Version : Timing-need Help Asap-dallas Ppl Plz!!!

Sil80girlie
03-12-2003, 08:51 AM
Ok, I have an s13 SR....I really wanna get this timing done tonight if possible. Can someone PLEEEEEEASE help me!?!? If no one is available to come over, can someone who has done this (on an SR) at least walk me through the process, step by step, in GREAT DETAIL. Everything I read says something different. Do I need to remove the valve cover or not??? I have never done this before!! PLEASE HELP!!!

On a side note-I have a short vid of my folding mirrors on my website :)

Sil80girlie
03-13-2003, 02:33 PM
Ok, I got some help from someone last night who tried to explain everything to me. He was showing me where everything is on his engine...but he has an rx7:(. Honestly, I am still quite lost on this whole timing thing. I guess I just still don't know enough details about engines yet. Anyway, about these marks I am supposed to look for....why do i not see them?? I keep looking at the pictures on srswap.com, but I don't know what the heck I am supposed to be looking at!! Do you loosen the bolts that hold the crank angle sensor on....is that what you are supposed to turn??? I'm so lost...and frustrated :mad:

I don't even know if the timing is off. It appears as though it's where it's supposed to be at (?). What are some ways that I would be able to tell for sure that something might be wrong...besides going through rigorous testing? And where the heck can I find some better info on how and why all of this works so I can know what the crap I am doing?!?

Thank ya]

BTW - I've been reading on howstuffworks.com.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ignition-system.htm
Does the CAS directly replace the distributor? Does this info also apply to the way the sr works...?

Dousan_PG
03-13-2003, 02:43 PM
i thought the replies on Freshalloy were pretty darn good. didnt work?

Sil80girlie
03-14-2003, 08:57 AM
Ah...I had not seen the last post on FA when I posted here. Those did help, but I guess I just need to see everything in person to fully "get it". From the post I gathered that I will need to take off the valve cover to see all of these marks...? I thought they were one the outside portion of the CAS. I was mainly confused about the location of all of these markings, but I guess we'll see what happens once I open her up! I haven't had time to really dig in there and look at everything (about to go out of town) so hopefully all will be cleared up!

One more thing....after talking to someone about retarding and advancing, I am still a little unsure as to which i should do. He told me that it is really a matter of preference-one gives you high end power, the other will give you low end power. Also, I see ppl on here asking how to do both...doesn't really seem to be a majority, unless I am overlooking something. Is one harder on the engine than the other? I really don't know which I would prefer, although I definitely like lots of low end power. Any suggestions?

OK, one more thing, then I'm done for now. After driving the sr around for a little bit, I still feel something may not be right. It's lmost like turbo lag...or like there's not as much power as there should be until like around 3500-4k rpms. All connections are fine, compression test was good....can't figure out what it might be. The turbo seems to be fine....sounds *GREAT* once I get into high rpms (I LOVE the sound of a turbo spooling!). I don't know if it just needs to be "broken in" or what. I have never driven or ridden in an sr, so I don't know how they usually feel. I can only compare to cars I have driven and this feels different. Maybe it's paranoia:confused: Anyone else experience this??

Thanks!!

Dousan_PG
03-14-2003, 09:01 AM
have you driven other SRs?
for me and my friends it was way hyped up. when i drove it i was like "yeah its fun" but nothing to write home about. that's on a stock engine. modified? that's another story.

AceInHole
03-14-2003, 11:29 AM
is this ignition timing or cam/ crank timing??

If it's ignition: Got a timing light??

I'm guessing it isn't cam/ crank (timing chain) timing since you're driving the car....

As for the lag, check the wastegate actuator and the vacuum lines. Might also help to check all your IC connections.