PDA

View Full Version : tomei manifold fitment issues

JeremyR
03-14-2009, 08:01 PM
having some fitment issues with my tomei manifold.

i have an s13 sr, and and the flange part hits the underside of the waterneck. here's a pic for reference:

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/42/l_483af936cad3441885c2f72eae562b28.jpg

the circled part is what hits, that rounded "point" barely clears. i tried searching but it seems no ones had this problem. should i just grind it or file it down till it fits?

fliprayzin240sx
03-14-2009, 08:10 PM
It should fit, you just gotta play with it a bit.

cc4usmc
03-14-2009, 08:12 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/cc4usmc/muscles.jpg

xdumbxguyx
03-14-2009, 09:02 PM
take off waterneck, then install manifold and reinstall water neck

JeremyR
03-14-2009, 09:04 PM
it doesnt hit the removable part of the waterneck, it rubs on the under side of the water neck right where it meets the head.

racer98
03-14-2009, 10:08 PM
having some fitment issues with my tomei manifold.

i have an s13 sr, and and the flange part hits the underside of the waterneck. here's a pic for reference:

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/42/l_483af936cad3441885c2f72eae562b28.jpg

the circled part is what hits, that rounded "point" barely clears. i tried searching but it seems no ones had this problem. should i just grind it or file it down till it fits?

for the op of this thread can you post the photos of the gaskets your going to use when you put all of this back together ?

JeremyR
03-15-2009, 02:11 AM
for the op of this thread can you post the photos of the gaskets your going to use when you put all of this back together ?

http://www.frsport.com/images/detailed_images/Tomei_193086_1.jpg

thats the gasket, 7 layer oem (or oem style) s15 gasket. fitment of the gasket is fine. although i did have a cometic gasket in the past that did not fit, had the same fitment issue as i am having with my manifold. i've started to file down that corner a bit, and will just take off a little at a time till i can get it on without having to force it or anything.

racer98
03-15-2009, 09:49 AM
http://www.frsport.com/images/detailed_images/Tomei_193086_1.jpg

thats the gasket, 7 layer oem (or oem style) s15 gasket. fitment of the gasket is fine. although i did have a cometic gasket in the past that did not fit, had the same fitment issue as i am having with my manifold. i've started to file down that corner a bit, and will just take off a little at a time till i can get it on without having to force it or anything.

how much did you pay for that gasket

also you need to read up what yashio factory did on mods to the cheapo ones so you don't have the problems i did with mine cracking all over the place.

JeremyR
03-15-2009, 06:13 PM
gasket came with the tomei manifold, everything in that pciture is included in the kit

s14unimog
03-16-2009, 10:04 AM
they're like 30 bucks tops if you had to thread jack this guys post...

for all intents and purposes, I have an Expreme on my s13 SR with s14 water neck and don't have a clearance issue...

queer ass picture

WTF is that...

racer98
03-16-2009, 10:39 AM
they're like 30 bucks tops if you had to thread jack this guys post....

was figuring that, most cases if it isnt under $100 its not getting put on an SR20 :hyper: my god why would any one pay $600+ for a turbo manifold

panda express parts = fail

good luck to the op with that item. pulling it on and off every other month gets really time consuming and that water line fitment at the back of the motor makes you crazy getting it on and off.

for all intents and purposes, I have an Expreme on my s13 SR with s14 water neck and don't have a clearance issue...

and you shouldn't either , Tomei spends a lot of money on development and fitment etc for the parts and so on, quality is what you pay for.

panda express parts = you get what you pay for

s14unimog
03-16-2009, 10:48 AM
was figuring that, most cases if it isnt under $100 its not getting put on an SR20 :hyper: my god why would any one pay $600+ for a turbo manifold.

^ Are you joking here? There is a little more than just a manifold included with that 600 price tag. I think its amazing they can get it to market for so cheap...

panda express parts = fail

^ do what?

good luck to the op with that item. pulling it on and off every other month gets really time consuming and that water line fitment at the back of the motor makes you crazy getting it on and off.

^s14 water neck and AN fittings FTW!

and you shouldn't either , Tomei spends a lot of money on development and fitment etc for the parts and so on, quality is what you pay for.

^Yup!

message length

azndoc
03-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Perhaps its the stock S13 waterneck.

I have an expreme with a S14 water neck.

Perhaps you can shave it down to make it fit.

clark
03-16-2009, 01:05 PM
i remember wh en fitting my headers i was having some problems too. but you just gotta get it in at the right angle. do some fenagling. don't be a brute though, i snapped my oil dipstick lol.

djcobra
03-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Tomei Manifold is designed from the stock manifold design... I had one installed a year ago and that shit cracked on the dyno... was I pissed off, hell yeah especially when you spend $700 cdn! I'm a piping designer oil and gas sector, and from looking at the thin wall thickness (W.T), just made me laugh. I went back to the stock cast iron manifold, re-dyno'd the car and put out better results. Say what you want, but anything tubular is just a show piece.

Steve.

s14unimog
03-16-2009, 01:37 PM
^ they'll replace it if its a factory default, just an FYI...

JeremyR
03-16-2009, 08:31 PM
okay enough fighting you guys im not a fuckin retard.

i have -an turbo lines.
i have a s14 waterneck.
i filed down a bit of the mani and POOF i got that shit on. its all bolted up nice and snug now.

i dont buy knock off cheap parts for my car.

the 715 i paid for my tomei mani and outlet is more than worth it for the quality of the kit.

problem solved, lock this shit up please!

s15specR
03-17-2009, 08:53 AM
I got the same mani on the s14 engine, never had problems, it hits that corner it its not perfertly level when you try sliding it onto the studs, exhaust.

If you look at the pic below its less that an 1/8" from where the water neck mounts.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii319/tripleJs15/Car/IMG_1023.jpg

articdragon192
03-18-2009, 02:10 PM
okay enough fighting you guys im not a fuckin retard.

i have -an turbo lines.
i have a s14 waterneck.
i filed down a bit of the mani and POOF i got that shit on. its all bolted up nice and snug now.

i dont buy knock off cheap parts for my car.

the 715 i paid for my tomei mani and outlet is more than worth it for the quality of the kit.

problem solved, lock this shit up please!

Just be sure to run the bracket the connects the tranny crossmember to the downpipe. That one bracket helps a lot.

racer98
03-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Just be sure to run the bracket the connects the tranny crossmember to the downpipe. That one bracket helps a lot.

that is a very important part as well make sure the header is warped or have a shield to insulate the brake master from the ex manifold

SILVIA_KIDs14.5
03-18-2009, 02:42 PM
i'd have to say that if your having issues with the manifold from tomei then it is a knock off because i think i can speak for those who know tomei and that there are no fitiment issues when it comes to there products

racer98
03-18-2009, 03:06 PM
i'd have to say that if your having issues with the manifold from tomei then it is a knock off because i think i can speak for those who know tomei and that there are no fitiment issues when it comes to there products

I would have to agree with this. TOMEI IS Quality.

JeremyR
03-20-2009, 04:14 PM
how much more clearer to i have to be to you retards?

i bought a LEGIT manifold.

from a LEGIT company.

do you fucktards not know how to read? i said i solved the problem by grinding ti down a bit. fitment is super super tight and you have to put it on at damn near level or else it rubs.

i dont have the brace for the downpipe to tranny connection, but i have a flex downpipe so im not too worried about it. if anything i can always fab one up.

props to azndoc and s14specr for the help.

WoolyS14DET
03-20-2009, 04:52 PM
I got the same mani on the s14 engine, never had problems, it hits that corner it its not perfertly level when you try sliding it onto the studs, exhaust.

If you look at the pic below its less that an 1/8" from where the water neck mounts.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii319/tripleJs15/Car/IMG_1023.jpg

:hide:

That mani is sexy ass hell !! But i had it on my car for about 1000 miles then it cracked !!! Factory Cast Iorn FTW=no BS

djcobra
03-20-2009, 05:03 PM
ummm, that manifold will crack, eventually lol... yes it looks sexy etc... but still a f'n tube. To the OP, you shouldn't have any fitment issues at all and i'm not saying that you have a knock off either...

You guys make me laugh when you one of you guys state that Tomei put alot of R&D into this item, its based of the f'n stock cast iron design and if you don't believe me goto their site. Anyways, he solved his problem just call it a day.

CAST IRON FTW!

Steve.

articdragon192
03-21-2009, 03:07 PM
i dont have the brace for the downpipe to tranny connection, but i have a flex downpipe so im not too worried about it. if anything i can always fab one up.

The flex will allow for slight movement. But the brace will help in supporting the weight. A flex pipe offers no support.