PDA

View Full Version : illegal to drive w/o hood?

kidbandikoot
03-11-2009, 06:28 PM
hey i need to pick up a replacement hood but its in san diego i live in san banernardino about 2hrs away

question: is it illegal to drive w/o a hood?
-whats the worst that could happen if pulled over

cuz damn it would be so much easier to do so save about 100 bucks on shipping (having a hard time finding a truck and/or someone willing to drive down there)

yea i know its a stupid question but i need some response
thanx
-KB

redline racer510
03-11-2009, 06:31 PM
you might as well call the cops on yourself lol

NISMO_tuner
03-11-2009, 06:34 PM
all i can say is good luck.
i drove with no front, and my hood flew off a few miles from my house...
i was scared all the way back home cuz i had "illegal mods" on my motor
if you get pulled over just say that it flew off on the highway...lol

LongGrain
03-11-2009, 06:42 PM
are you SR?

if your engine bay is cali legal i would not worry about it

just say you are going to pick your hood up.

although i didnt think it was illegal, a lot of guys around here drive around without hoods. i have thought about it..

Jdm.I.Am
03-11-2009, 06:43 PM
as long as you dont have any bling and illegal mods youre fine.. my carbonfiber hood was stolen off my integra, i was too lazy to drive to my rents house and pick up the stock one so i drove around with no hood for 2 weeks, got pulled over and i just told the cop that my hood was stolen and i had no money for a new one yet. he looked at the motor and sent me on my way.

soreballz
03-11-2009, 06:47 PM
^What he said. I used to drive without a hood on my s13 all the time.

Fun fact: When you take the hood off of an s13 with no mods other than a cone filter, the engine sounds nearly identical to that of a B16 under full throttle acceleration. lol

S14DB
03-11-2009, 06:50 PM
It is a fire hazard to not have an engine cover. Not legal.

Vatche
03-11-2009, 07:04 PM
yeah its definately illegal to drive without a hood, without a bumper, without fenders. without doors, windshield down.

all illegal far as ive heard.

but if your stock, go get your hood if a cop pulls you over your on your way to get one worst he would do is give a fix it ticket. to prove it.

peetiewonder
03-11-2009, 07:10 PM
:bigok:make one out of duct tape.... duct tape fixe everything

pete_07
03-11-2009, 08:20 PM
i just ask a friend of mine which is a cop.. he said best thing to do is go to the dmv and get a one day use paper like the one you use for the smog..

pete_07
03-11-2009, 08:22 PM
now this is coming from me if you go to dmv and they ask tell them youre car is on primer and youre going to the paint shop to get it painted and tell them you just dont want any problem with the cop when they pull you over

Jdm.I.Am
03-11-2009, 08:26 PM
i just ask a friend of mine which is a cop.. he said best thing to do is go to the dmv and get a one day use paper like the one you use for the smog..

now this is coming from me if you go to dmv and they ask tell them youre car is on primer and youre going to the paint shop to get it painted and tell them you just dont want any problem with the cop when they pull you over

^ this has nothing to do with driving with no hood.. :wtf:

just tell them it got stolen, they dont give a shit unless you have aftermarket stuff under the hood.

DreamN
03-11-2009, 08:34 PM
he's offering an idea for an excusw to give the cops and the dmv as to why you would drive without a hood. so yeah, it has to do with driving without a hood.

i've driven without a bumper cover a few times.. never got pulled over, but if i had been i would have just said i was in an accident or whatever.

pete_07
03-11-2009, 09:16 PM
^ thank you and yes to show to the cop that you have an excuse to drive with no hood since dmv dont put nothing in the paper just a date to drive youre car

blasting_speed
03-11-2009, 11:06 PM

If you do this. Please oh PLEASE!!!! Post pictures of it.

DataXUnknown
03-11-2009, 11:39 PM
'pete_07' posted the 100% legal/the way you are "supposed" to go about doing it.

imo, I would just go. Drive there and install it when you pick it up, it's only like 4 bolts.

I'd do it even if I had crazy mods on an SR. Drive normal, and if you see any cops, just try to hide behind cars etc.

allstar
03-11-2009, 11:47 PM
it is not illegal to drive without a hood..

inless they changed the law, start of the new year..

DALAZ_68
03-12-2009, 07:27 AM

duct tape and card board.... :w00t:
'

imo, I would just go. Drive there and install it when you pick it up, it's only like 4 bolts.

thats all it is...

Vatche
03-12-2009, 08:23 AM
'pete_07' posted the 100% legal/the way you are "supposed" to go about doing it.

I'd do it even if I had crazy mods on an SR. Drive normal, and if you see any cops, just try to hide behind cars etc.

you my friend are insane. or bullshitting.

i have a hood. and everytime i see a cop i try to hide behind cars ;P

one time i popped my hood to fix something so i could start my car and it was open for like 5 min on the side of a street and i was sweating balls.

it is not easy or fun or relaxing or anything but paranoia driving an SR and worrying about cops :) i drive like a old lady and i still stress cuz they could pull me over for anything, and have.

S14DB
03-12-2009, 09:13 AM
it is not illegal to drive without a hood..

inless they changed the law, start of the new year..

(e) As used in this section, the term "component parts for
passenger motor vehicles" includes supplemental restraint systems,
the cowl or firewall, front-end assembly, rear clip, including the
roof panel, the roof panel when installed separately, and the frame
or any portion thereof, or in the case of a unitized body, the
supporting structure that serves as the frame, each door, the hood,
each fender or quarter panel, deck lid or hatchback, each bumper,
both T-tops, replacement transmissions or transaxles, and a
replacement motor.
(1) As used in this subdivision, "front-end assembly" includes all
of the following: hood, fenders, bumper, and radiator supporting
members for these items. For vehicles with a unitized body, the
front-end assembly also includes the frame support members.
(2) As used in this subdivision, "rear clip" includes the roof,
quarter panels, trunk lid, floor pan, and the support members for
each item.

V.C. Section 24002 - Vehicle Not Equipped or Unsafe (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24002.htm)

s13boy89
03-12-2009, 12:19 PM
i drove in front of a cop with no hood but he laughed because my engine was gold and purple

1989rps13
03-12-2009, 12:31 PM
i drove in front of a cop with no hood but he laughed because my engine was gold and purple

lmao mario ::facepalm::

handinpants
03-13-2009, 04:33 AM
what kind of hood? i have a clean s13 silvia hood for your car, pm me and i'll give you a lowball price

worangejuice
03-13-2009, 05:58 AM
I love the look of no hood on the ride. I took mine off my popup front when I went to pick up the silvia front

this topic reminds me of these........keke
http://image07.webshots.com/7/4/54/74/179645474qeTNeF_ph.jpg

CusCo_S14
03-13-2009, 08:23 AM
ive driven w/out a hood a couple of times and never had any problems. ive pulled up next to a couple of cops at red lights and they just look and nothin happened. one time a cop asked me where my hood was i told him that i was on my way to pick up a hood and that was it.

jsut depends what time of the month it is for the cop

BTW i live in the Lake Forest/ Irvine area