PDA

View Full Version : wheel moves under braking

Dc*sk8r
03-07-2009, 05:48 PM
so when i brake in my 91 coupe the front right wheel moves inwards towards the fender of the car... and when i let off the brake it returns to its orginal position.. could it be maybe old bushings?

YouTube - Movie 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1QXtpgbSSM) this is when i let off the brake:bash:

redsx13
03-09-2009, 12:56 PM
so when i brake in my 91 coupe the front right wheel moves inwards towards the fender of the car... and when i let off the brake it returns to its orginal position.. could it be maybe old bushings?

YouTube - Movie 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1QXtpgbSSM) this is when i let off the brake:bash:

that is really bad, you should do something about is asap! there are a couple of things you can do...

1. your problem is noticeable enough that you can have someone sit in the car and press the brakes, while you look under it to see what joint moves this will give you an idea of where to look but you will still need to jack up the car.

2. now, get yourself a jack, at least two jackstands, and something to chalk the wheels. put the car in gear, chalk the wheels, lift up that side of the car and put it on stands (remember you want to get it high enough to get your head under there to see whats going on). then use your jack and jack up the car by the outer part (side colsest to the wheel) of the lower control arm of the wheel in question. you should put just enough load on your lca (lower control arm) that you put pressure on your spring without lifting your car off the stands.(this step is very important, if you don't jack it up by the lca, than the spring will put load on your suspension and most likely nothing will move)now move the wheel back and forth by hand. if done correctly than you will be able to move the wheel while you look under the car to see what joint has play. its either a bushing or a ball joint. or maybe somethings just loose.

3. report back to us and tell us which joint is moving (pics please!)

here is a link to a diagram of the 240sx suspension, #4 is what you want to jack from (rember you want to do this from the outer part)
http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=11638

projectRDM
03-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Tension rod bushing. Replace it. Now.

handinpants
03-10-2009, 09:00 PM
like what redsx13 says, although i recommend putting the whole car up on a lift or jackstands, to take the load off the suspension. get a buddy, on the wheel that moves put one hand at 3 oclock and one a 9oclock, and move the wheel in/out side/side while your buddy looks at the lower control arm, and the strut rod, the ball joints, there should be no play in the ball joint, if there is replace it immediatly. Check the strut/tension rod for lose or damaged bolts, and bushings. also double check the lower control arm bushings. I had a slot worn into my lower controll arm bushing area, which causes the bolt to become very loose.
if you find damaged or lose parts replace them.
also as long as it is up there put one hand at 12 oclock and one a six oclock and repeat the same motions, this will tell you about your wheel bearings. there should be no play in the bearings because they are a sealed bearing...

redsx13
03-17-2009, 12:17 AM
well??..... have you done anything?