View Full Version : Car cut off like 6 times today..only code 34

s13pignose
03-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Went to wash my car...dried off in an empty lot. When done tried putting the car in reverse to back out space, and car cuts off. Did it 3 times. Finally put in neutral drift back, so I could put in D and just pull out. Whole time on the way home the tach is going HAYWIRE. Jumping up and down, especially when I let off the gas. Even cuts off on me as soon as I hit the driveway and I basically coast onto my car port. Pulled ecu for codes..all I get is code 34. I knew I had the code for about a week since last time I checked, but no telling how long its really been there. Even after resetting, it comes back.

SO I try checking stuff under the hood..crank 1st time after pulling ecu code, and idles like complete crap. Cut car off look around some more for about 1 min. Then I try starting again and runs fine???

I want to just go buy new knock sensor and harness, cause I really don't wanna go through this anymore. I mean since last month car has cut off before and had idle issues..but then it went away..so I thought.

So I'm wondering should I take a leap of faith and just purchase the sensor and new harness?

DreamN
03-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Might be your O2 sensor as well. Also, are you running crappy gas?

FaLKoN240
03-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Crazy tachometer and shutting off could be battery related, check your terminals and make sure they're clean and have a good connection.

s13pignose
03-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Well that was one thing..the ground cable was loose at the actual ground and not the battery. After spotted that and corrected..car drove fine for rest of the evening. And then I made a 3pt turn, and when I went in reverse it cut off. I reset the ecu again since I notice the ground cable loose, just to see what it comes up with next. I'm sure gonna be code 34 again. My o2 is only maybe a year and half old if that. Haven't gotten any o2 codes either....just code 34.

I can't figure out why when goin in reverse lately it cuts off...I can hear something clicking under the dash when it feels it's about to cut off or b4 it does. Also why is it only happens sometimes and not all the time

s13pignose
03-08-2009, 08:26 PM
OK since these problems I've pulled ecu many times and all I got was code 34 or code 12..12 cause once I forgot to connect the maf harness back to the maf, and then 2nd time I left hoses off intake when trying to start car on accident. Well today i got new fuel filter, put on and reset ecu afterwards. Drove the car around town, pretty hard at times. When I get home I decide to go ahead and buy new knock sensor and harness, but something told me to check if the code is still there. Sure enough I check and get code 55..normal operation.

So I'm like was it the filter or what? How long should I give it b4 checking for codes again, to see if it came back. Also no I didn't have the filter upside down lol (flow).

s13pignose
03-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Okay code 55 went away and 34 knock sensor came back...some time b/w my last post and earlier today. I reset ecu after having filled up my tank a lil later, then drive around town for few hours. Come home do the ecu pull ritual, and have code 55 again.

Why won't it just stay 55

s13pignose
03-12-2009, 06:38 PM
I'm also just running the mid section of my exhaust right now..the rear section with the muffler I took off. The mid section does have a resonator tho. Anyway ever since I noticed sometimes when putting the car in reverse or sitting at idlea..I get some metal vibrating noise from front of the car. Just out of curiosity I wonder if loudness from exhaust or that vibration is messing with the Knock sensor

brian3676
03-12-2009, 08:11 PM
is it a KA? SR? did u wash ur engine bay or just the car?

s13pignose
03-12-2009, 09:16 PM
KA, s14, auto..I mena I've sprayed under the hood b4.. can't remember last time