View Full Version : Alternator Ground

Sideways~S14
03-05-2009, 11:42 PM
Does anyone know the dimensions of the little ass bolt that goes on the back of it on the ground this is on a ka24de

MrChow
03-06-2009, 12:29 AM
the alt is ground to the engine. just ground ur engine better.

projectRDM
03-06-2009, 08:21 AM
the alt is ground to the engine. just ground ur engine better.

Not quite, there's a separate ground wire as well. The bolt is an M5x.08 thread, it's tiny, what I usually do is remove one of the M5 nuts that hold the case together and bolt it there.

Sideways~S14
03-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Not quite, there's a separate ground wire as well. The bolt is an M5x.08 thread, it's tiny, what I usually do is remove one of the M5 nuts that hold the case together and bolt it there.I love you long time!

MrChow
03-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Not quite, there's a separate ground wire as well. The bolt is an M5x.08 thread, it's tiny, what I usually do is remove one of the M5 nuts that hold the case together and bolt it there.
Just curious I know of the separate ground. I was redoing all my ground and I thought just having good grounds on the engine would work just fine. Now if I redid my alt ground would that help a bit more or not Russ??

Sorry if I didn't word that correctly.

projectRDM
03-06-2009, 12:46 PM
An electrical ground is just as good, if not better, than a mechanical ground. I always replace the OE wire with a larger piece (4ga) and run it shorter, usually right to the frame rail.

MrChow
03-06-2009, 03:05 PM
An electrical ground is just as good, if not better, than a mechanical ground. I always replace the OE wire with a larger piece (4ga) and run it shorter, usually right to the frame rail.
Well I have 0ga wire for my grounds for the battery and engine. I just have 8ga stuff left. I guess I'll throw one of theses on.

projectRDM
03-06-2009, 07:52 PM
8ga is fine, the OE ground is 12ga. Anything is better than that. Keep it really short, and scrape the paint away before bolting it down.