PDA

View Full Version : Oregon introduces bill to prohibit sale of aftermarket parts.

sileighty83
02-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Searched but found nothing on this so I hope this hasn't been posted but found this on Wrecked mags blog. I'm originally from Portland, OR so I feel strongly about this issue and what they are trying to do is really F**ked up. Well... see for your self. We should e-mail them like crazy and try to do something for our fellow car enthusiasts in the pacific North West.

Thanks guys.

Oregon Introduces Bill to Prohibit Sale of Aftermarket Parts (http://www.wreckedmagazine.com/blog/2009/02/13/oregon-introduces-bill-to-prohibit-sale-of-aftermarket-parts/)

February 13th, 2009 http://www.wreckedmagazine.com/images/oregon.jpg
As a proud SEMA Member we have to help them out when lawmakers try and do silly things. We were notified today that the state of Oregon is trying to ban the sale of aftermarket automotive parts. This is not only insane but would put a huge hurt to the local Drifting scene which is dear to our hearts. The deal especially effects Drifting because most of the bill is related to tires. The bill is primarily focused on aftermarket tires and would authorize the Environmental Quality Commission to implement enforcement regulations, likely based on a rolling resistance calculation.
At the request of Governor Theodore Kulongoski, the Oregon Speaker of the House has introduced legislation (H.B. 2186) to prohibit the sale and distribution of aftermarket motor vehicle parts if alternatives are available that “decrease greenhouse gas emissions from motor vehicles.” Here are some notes from SEMA Action Network.
We Urge You to Contact Oregon Speaker of the House Dave Hunt and Members of the Environment and Water Committee (Contact Information Below) Immediately to Request Their Opposition to H.B. 2186

H.B. 2186 would regulate vehicle fuel economy, an authority reserved to the federal government.
H.B. 2186 could ban tires that may have improved performance, handling or appearance features, based solely on a rolling resistance rating. In addition, this program could easily distract consumers from focusing on more important safety issues such as tire inflation and overloading of vehicles.
H.B. 2186 would force consumers to purchase only original equipment manufacturer (OEM) tires because the program essentially exempts OEM-selected tires and unfairly implies that they are superior to aftermarket products.
H.B. 2186 could prohibit aftermarket parts designed to either personalize or optimize specific vehicle performance attributes including handling, towing, suspension, fuel economy, etc.
H.B. 2186 provides broad authority to government regulators and could limit a range of aftermarket parts currently available to consumers based on the subjective determination of government regulators.

DON’T DELAY! Please contact Oregon Speaker Dave Hunt and the House Environment and Water Committee immediately to urge his opposition to H.B. 2186.
Oregon House Speaker Dave Hunt

Email: [email protected]
Oregon House Environment and Water Committee
Representative Ben Cannon – Chair

Representative Jules Bailey

Representative Phil Barnhart

Representative Cliff Bentz

Representative Deborah Boone

Representative Vic Gilliam

Representative Bob Jenson

Representative Jefferson Smith

GSXRJJordan
02-27-2009, 03:49 PM
Fucking bullshit.

It'll never pass, but it still pisses me off that stuff like this gets introduced. Even in Oregon, the greenhouse emissions from vehicles (smog controlled or otherwise) is negligible compared to those produced by industry and the production of power.

Luckily CA would stomp that shit to the ground in a second, being the "home" of automotive aftermarket and all.

HyperTek
02-27-2009, 03:56 PM
kill aftermarket? that would kill all the auto stores, and repair shops would have to source original parts etc. . even reproduction third party parts are considered aftermarket right?

I do understand laws get brought up because theres tons of assclowns with shitty ass cars running around, and someone needs to put them in check, but this hurts everybody there lol

Bobadrift
Yeah but remember CA is the state with the strictest laws in regards to aftermarket parts on vehicles. This needs to be stopped in Oregon otherwise it will spread to other states.

palmdale_mob
Glad I don't live in Oregon

sileighty83
02-27-2009, 03:59 PM
The funny thing is, my SR passed smog there NP, but smog up there is done by state regulated officials, like BAR. So u can not slip 'em a few to pass you, like here. No visual checks either and cops up there don't regulate on you for having a swap...BUT they decide to do this B.S. bill! let's hope it doesn't pass.

norcal_black240
02-27-2009, 04:44 PM
holy crap, I never would of thought Oregon would of tried to pass a bill like this, I thought cali would of but not Oregon.

Gnnr
02-27-2009, 04:45 PM
Direct Link: http://www.leg.state.or.us/09reg/measpdf/hb2100.dir/hb2186.intro.pdf (http://www.leg.state.or.us/09reg/measpdf/hb2100.dir/hb2186.intro.pdf)

75th OREGON LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY--2009 Regular Session
House Bill 2186
Ordered printed by the Speaker pursuant to House Rule 12.00A (5). Presession filed (at the request of Governor
Theodore R. Kulongoski (http://governor.oregon.gov/Gov/in2007.shtml) for Department of Environmental Quality)

SUMMARY
The following summary is not prepared by the sponsors of the measure and is not a part of the body thereof subject
to consideration by the Legislative Assembly. It is an editor′s brief statement of the essential features of the
measure as introduced.
Authorizes Environmental Quality Commission to adopt rules to help state to achieve
greenhouse gas emissions reduction goals. Specifies rules that commission may adopt.
Declares emergency, effective on passage.

A BILL FOR AN ACT
Relating to greenhouse gas emissions; and declaring an emergency.
Be It Enacted by the People of the State of Oregon:
SECTION 1. Sections 2 and 3 of this 2009 Act are added to and made a part of ORS
chapter 468A (http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/468a.html).
SECTION 2. As used in section 3 of this 2009 Act:
(1) “Greenhouse gas” has the meaning given that term in ORS 468A.210.
(2) “Heavy-duty truck” has the meaning given that term in ORS 468A.795.
(3) “Medium-duty truck” has the meaning given that term in ORS 468A.795.
(4) “Motor vehicle” has the meaning given that term in ORS 825.005 (http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/825.html).
SECTION 3. (1) The Environmental Quality Commission may adopt by rule the following
to help this state achieve the greenhouse gas emissions reduction goals specified in ORS
468A.205:
(a) Low carbon fuel standards for fuel that is used for transportation;
(b) Restrictions and prohibitions on the use of substances that contain, release or cause
to be released greenhouse gases, if alternatives are available;
(c) Requirements to maintain or retrofit medium-duty and heavy-duty trucks in order to
reduce aerodynamic drag and otherwise reduce greenhouse gas emissions from those trucks;
(d) Restrictions and prohibitions on the sale and distribution of after-market motor ve-
hicle parts, including but not limited to tires, if alternatives are available that decrease
greenhouse gas emissions from motor vehicles;
(e) Requirements for motor vehicle service providers to check and inflate tire pressure
according to manufacturer recommended specifications; and
(f) Restrictions on engine use by parked commercial vehicles, including but not limited
to medium-duty trucks and heavy-duty trucks, and by commercial ships while at port, and
requirements that truck stops and ports provide alternatives to engine use such as electric
power.
(2) In adopting rules under this section, the commission:
(a) Shall consider safety, feasibility and cost-effectiveness; and
(b) May differentiate between different areas of the state, different greenhouse gases and different categories of substances, fuels, motor vehicles or other equipment or activities that
contribute directly or indirectly to greenhouse gas emissions.
SECTION 4. This 2009 Act being necessary for the immediate preservation of the public
peace, health and safety, an emergency is declared to exist, and this 2009 Act takes effect
on its passage.

Talk about a stupid bill. I don't think they give these things much thought. Just because it has a good intention doesn't mean its a good idea.

Re:(c)
Do they even get any automotive experts on the subject at all? How do they plan to measure the aerodynamic drag? Are they going to pass cars through a windtunnel at smog. LMAO.

Re:(d)
There is still much debate and little information on whether or not a lower resistance tire is less safe than conventional tires.

Re:(e)
Also (correct me if I'm wrong) but aren't the manufacturer's tire inflation specification specific to the tire (brand and model) that comes with the car?

You can probably thank CA for this though:

California has low-resistance tire laws - AutoblogGreen (http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/01/03/california-has-low-resistance-tire-laws/)

Low-rolling resistance tires - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-rolling_resistance_tires)

Oregon is shooting themselves in the foot here. This is:

1. limiting the economic freedom of consumers and business
2. increasing taxes for consumers and businesses to have this thing put into place and regulated
3. increasing costs for consumers and businesses to comply
4. reducing revenue for business (HELLO! We're in a Economic crisis, BAD IDEA!)
5. reducing jobs (again bad idea!)
6. removing taxable products from the marketplace (bad for the state budget!)
7. debatably making it unsafe for motorists on the road! Human Life is more important the a small reduction in greenhouse emissions that could easily be met by reducing the emissions emitted from factories or putting better public transportation systems in place.

yurisfriendevan
02-27-2009, 08:09 PM
Oregon is full of tree huggin hippies. I am not surprised.

Californias next!

somovr4
02-27-2009, 08:49 PM
wow, finally an act to get rid of those pesky DSM's. Since its close to the ocean, they are salty DSM's.. ew.

cc4usmc
02-27-2009, 09:12 PM
Wouldn't the best solution to the environmental problem be coming up with something that removes harmful things from the air, rather then make some half ass attempt to make people think that you actually care by passing a bill like that? Even if that was to pass in every state, it wouldn't change anything as far as the environments condition goes. Shit, of course that would be the best, or at least a better solution. But only %5 of people holding a political position actually care! Sweet

JeremyR
02-27-2009, 09:21 PM
LOL this bill is full of fail.

restrict vehicles to OEM tires only? are they trying to kill the automotive industry? tires are big business, and to be honest this shit wont pass so dont sweat it to hard

RiversideS13
02-27-2009, 09:29 PM
been Oregon couple times and it is the most boring place i ever been to. just a lot of trees and a lot of cops hiding behind it and try to catch you for speeding over 55 mph

enkei2k
02-27-2009, 11:34 PM
OEM tires are crap. god, i hope this bill doesn't pass. you wonder why states are in debt? for stupid laws such as this.

Matej
02-27-2009, 11:36 PM
http://weblog.site5.com/images/screenshots/otrail.jpg

GSXRJJordan
02-28-2009, 12:22 AM

hahahhahaa - awesome. +rep to you.

ronmcdon
02-28-2009, 12:28 AM
the tire restriction law is laughable at best. even if it passes, realistically how are you going to enforce it? have cops memorize all oem tires that came with every make & model of car?

I can only hope this enviro-nazi foolishness ends with OR (and CA).

handinpants
02-28-2009, 01:52 AM
if it does pass, it will hurt oregon's economy, if they actually have one. thats like putting a ban on nails at a hardware store.

but seriously, if this bill passes, companies that manufacture aftermarket parts in the state of oregon will pack up and move elsewhere,

SoSideways
02-28-2009, 09:03 AM
Well, make sure everyone that lives there DO in fact email their congressmen about it, because bitching and moaning about it on an internet forum won't do you any good. Must contact congressmen and voice your outrage, and also to go vote that bill out.

Seriously, gotta go vote.

!Zar!
02-28-2009, 09:50 AM
I'll reply to this, but does anyone have a write out of what these laws say per written proposed legislation and not what some car freak thinks it means?

H.B. 2186 would regulate vehicle fuel economy, an authority reserved to the federal government.
Well, I don't know their smog laws, but I'm sure they aren't as strict as California. They seem to be doing this as some ghetto way to save the environment instead of reworking their smog laws. Because there is NO way a bill will pass that means that many people would have to give up driving their weekend muscle.

H.B. 2186 could ban tires that may have improved performance, handling or appearance features, based solely on a rolling resistance rating. In addition, this program could easily distract consumers from focusing on more important safety issues such as tire inflation and overloading of vehicles.
This just stops people from running racing tires on the street with no DOT rating. Because keep in mind Porsche and what not came stock with S02's.

H.B. 2186 would force consumers to purchase only original equipment manufacturer (OEM) tires because the program essentially exempts OEM-selected tires and unfairly implies that they are superior to aftermarket products.
Read above how Porsche came stock with S02's.

H.B. 2186 could prohibit aftermarket parts designed to either personalize or optimize specific vehicle performance attributes including handling, towing, suspension, fuel economy, etc.
HAHAHA. They said Megan Racing sucks.
Honestly, there are people who are buying parts and making their cars unsafer while putting themselves at risk along with other people on the road.

In case you all didn't notice it, it's pretty much illegal already to drive around with adjustable arms on your car. Just isn't really a priority. But when it comes, you can't get angry at the company who makes the parts because they are sold as, "offroad use only".
Lets say this law does pass, it would be kind of like the exhaust law in California that makes ANY exhaust aside from OEM illegal.

So in theory, EVERY exhaust shop is doing illegal work. But they overlook the exhaust that looks/sounds exactly like OEM exhaust yet ticket you all running around with straight pipes.

Instead of exhaust, it would be OEM style replacements being, "illegal" yet over looked while flashier parts are ticketed.

H.B. 2186 provides broad authority to government regulators and could limit a range of aftermarket parts currently available to consumers based on the subjective determination of government regulators.
Whatever. They can't make it illegal to build a racecar.

It's already illegal to swap an SR into a car in California. But that isn't stopping anyone.

Overall, it's Oregon? Who the fuck cares. California isn't dealing with those bullshit laws because they have already adapted what they needed to.

Oregon Sucks.

Almost as much as Florida.

racepar1
02-28-2009, 10:31 AM
I always laugh when the powers that be decide to go after car enthusiasts claiming that they are attempting to reduce pollution. The amount of additional pollution caused by enthusiast vehicles is so little in the scheme of things that it simply does not make financial sense to bother with it. Wanna reduce pollution? Go after commercial vehicles/plants or improve your public transportation system. The problem with that idea is that the targeting commercial vehicles/plants would piss off their campaign donors and they couldn't do that now could they? The whole improving public transportation thing just makes too much sense I guess.

BustedS13
02-28-2009, 11:48 AM
they should just pass a bill that makes cars illegal. CRITICAL MASS BRO

racepar1
02-28-2009, 12:14 PM
they should just pass a bill that makes cars illegal. CRITICAL MASS BRO

Hell ya! Then we could all turn into a bunch of hipster hippie douches and ride our "dope" "fixie" bicycles all over the road!

Wait, hipster hippie douches already DO ride their bikes all over the road and get all in the way.

BustedS13
02-28-2009, 12:47 PM
bro. a fixie is like the hot rod of bicycles. you don't even know. not being able to use a proper gear on a hill is a WAY OF LIFE.

fuckin fascist

drftwerks
02-28-2009, 12:54 PM
oregon might as well be alaska to me, i dont care.
but on topic, what about japanese market cars?

!Zar!
02-28-2009, 01:24 PM
I always laugh when the powers that be decide to go after car enthusiasts claiming that they are attempting to reduce pollution. The amount of additional pollution caused by enthusiast vehicles is so little in the scheme of things that it simply does not make financial sense to bother with it. Wanna reduce pollution? Go after commercial vehicles/plants or improve your public transportation system. The problem with that idea is that the targeting commercial vehicles/plants would piss off their campaign donors and they couldn't do that now could they? The whole improving public transportation thing just makes too much sense I guess.

Improving public transportation really depends on where you live.

It's quite easy to get around in the bay area.

As for generalizing everyone who rides a fixed gear into a hippy is the same as generalizing everyone who drives an import car must be a street racer. Or someone who owns a 240 must drift. Flawed logic.

racepar1
02-28-2009, 02:00 PM
bro. a fixie is like the hot rod of bicycles. you don't even know. not being able to use a proper gear on a hill is a WAY OF LIFE.

fuckin fascist

I live my life a 1/4 mile at a time.........

Improving public transportation really depends on where you live.

It's quite easy to get around in the bay area.

As for generalizing everyone who rides a fixed gear into a hippy is the same as generalizing everyone who drives an import car must be a street racer. Or someone who owns a 240 must drift. Flawed logic.

The bay area needs very little public transportation improvements, duh. You're taking a generalized statement and applying it specifically to SF. There are a lot of major cities that have great public transportation, there are even more though that don't.

Don't get all sensitive about "fixies". I'm sorry man, but the stereotype fits. Most stereotypes fit to tell you the truth. It doesn't mean that everyone in the entire world that owns a fixed gear bicycle is a hipster hippie douche, it just means that a metric shit ton of them are hipster hippie douches. Hipster hippie douches also have other forms of transportation, "fixies" are just the coolest and most popular one. Sorry, but the truth hurts.

LOL

jskateborders
02-28-2009, 04:16 PM
Or someone who owns a 240 must drift. Flawed logic.
Thats Blasphemy, nissan made 240's to drift.:rant2:

But havent you guys realized by know that the major issue of the day has nothing to with the actual issue, but money. If you have money, your issue becomes important. Remember al gore and global warming? Global warming is such a joke, and has been disproven by real scientists, yet al gore had the money and supporters with money to run with it for a while. They ran out of money, now the anti car people have the most money. The people do not decide in america, the people with money do. And yea,

I urge you to go vote, its a freedom, we need to keep as many as we can. However, does your vote count? No. On a national level, the presidential elections is the government giving us two people, and saying choose. Thats sweet and all that out of the millions of people in the country, we have the freedom to pick two. Primarys are a joke, the party officials make the final decision. Even after all that there is the electoral college, which basically means that after everyone in the state votes, the decide what the votes mean... Seriously? "well more people voted for this guy, but we think that the state really wanted this guy."

On a state level we have a little more voting power, but still, money talks.

BustedS13
02-28-2009, 04:29 PM
FIXIE FIGHT

use your bicycle as a weapon

Matej
02-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Cars should be an affordable luxury, not a necessity. Then the laws would be most likely be more lenient as well.

DCP94
02-28-2009, 11:21 PM

damn i remember this game.. we used to play it in school

98s14inaz
03-01-2009, 07:30 AM
Fucking bullshit.

It'll never pass, but it still pisses me off that stuff like this gets introduced. Even in Oregon, the greenhouse emissions from vehicles (smog controlled or otherwise) is negligible compared to those produced by industry and the production of power.

Luckily CA would stomp that shit to the ground in a second, being the "home" of automotive aftermarket and all.

WOW! I have nothing to add to that statement^ Bunch of bullshit hippies. We need a machine powered by hippies...cartman get to work :ddog:

Phlip
03-01-2009, 07:38 AM
I am thanking my lucky stars that I live in the middle of NASCAR country, nothing like this would EVER happen in NC.

s13tilldeath*
03-01-2009, 07:48 AM
That is fucking bullshit im glad i dont live there.....

!Zar!
03-01-2009, 11:21 AM
I don't see the big deal.

There are always tons of legislations that are pushed forward.

A LOT of them are bullshit ones. But most all of them are shot down also.

I mean look how many times there is talk about splitting California into a North California and a South California.

Shit didn't/hasn't happened.

You all are worried more than necessary.

Not to mention nobody has really commented on what I posted at first in this thread.

OneForMe
03-01-2009, 12:04 PM
it wont pass. with the economy on a slump it cant.

but what scares me is that to them they would be helping the auto industry by only making available OEM parts.

and to a law maker with their what ever degreee on law who dont look in depth

that my friends could be a huge factor on their side

racepar1
03-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Thats Blasphemy, nissan made 240's to drift.:rant2:

I SERIOUSLY wanna beat you with your keyboard for this statement......

Matej
03-01-2009, 01:45 PM
You're just mad because you're using yours improperly.

Flicktitty
03-01-2009, 01:56 PM
thats some booshit there.

i doubt it will pass.

Gnnr
03-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Almost as much as Florida.

No smog laws here, and if there are they don't enforce them. lol. I see some ghetto as beaters riding around with no exhausts, just open header baby! :rofl:

niSm095
03-01-2009, 02:36 PM
damn I live 3000 miles away and I still felt compelled to email those asses. Glad nothing like that would work in South Carolina...too many hicks with foxbodies would rise in revolt.

!Zar!
03-01-2009, 02:42 PM
This bill hasn't even been passed.

It won't be.

Like I said, most of the interpretations to whatever that SEMA dude posted can be argued.

98s14inaz
03-02-2009, 07:46 AM
it wont pass. with the economy on a slump it cant.

but what scares me is that to them they would be helping the auto industry by only making available OEM parts.

and to a law maker with their what ever degreee on law who dont look in depth

that my friends could be a huge factor on their side

What they should do is stop importing crappy chinese knock off parts so the real aftermarket industry can flourish. Seeing companies like Greddy and that cam company whose name escapes me at the moment have financial troubles makes me sad.

Koopa Troopa
03-02-2009, 08:09 AM
What they should do is stop importing crappy chinese knock off parts so the real aftermarket industry can flourish. Seeing companies like Greddy and that cam company whose name escapes me at the moment have financial troubles makes me sad.

Maybe they shouldn't have been using Taiwanese factories for cheaper labor, over charging due to their name and not making a decent product when said part is the same shit, just not stamped and at a lower cost.

Fuck Greddy and their over priced, shitty products.

I bought a brand new Grex oil cooler off Yafu Auction for 20,000 yen when it retails for 50,000 something. I saved 30,000 and some change because it didn't come in the Trust Box or bags. Was in unmarked bags because the Taiwanese factory was sending extra parts back to a distributor in Japan and under cutting Greddy.

sileighty83
03-02-2009, 08:23 AM
damn I live 3000 miles away and I still felt compelled to email those asses. Glad nothing like that would work in South Carolina...too many hicks with foxbodies would rise in revolt.

Thank you for your support on this issue ! :hug: Let's get some e-mails out to these bastards and let them know that this shit goes beyond Oregon!

bewst pewp
03-02-2009, 08:32 AM
hopefully this doesn't pass...

and poor sally. she died from malaria :(

Otto347
03-02-2009, 09:15 AM
lol

good lord

jskateborders
03-02-2009, 09:51 AM
you SERIOUSLY took that SERIOUSLY?

racepar1
03-02-2009, 11:37 AM
you SERIOUSLY took that SERIOUSLY?

Not really, I should have added a "LOL" at the end to make that more clear.