PDA

View Full Version : netbook/laptop wont browse internet? HELP

ANVIL
02-24-2009, 11:39 AM
so my laptop is currently in possesion of best buys geek squad (my dad purchased the 3 yr warrently from them for me) and im out of a computer at home. my gf's sister let us borrow her little ACER netbook to browse the net on. only thing is... it wont transfer data (i think). i can connect the my wireless network at home, but it still says cant display page, and that im not connected to the net even though i am.

im not sure if its the settings or what it is, but it sucks. things ive tried were resetting my modem and router. Repaired the wireless connection and reset everything. made sure no proxys on. set to auto and manual connect. tried auto and manual dectect LAN settings. tried with and without fire wall. tried other unsecured connections in my area. nothing has worked so far.

can you guys give me some help, and give me different things to try when i get home today?

xtheenderx
02-24-2009, 04:40 PM
Couple questions first...
What OS are you running?
Do you have other computers in your network, and do those connect to the internet?

Try this, open internet explorer and click on tools>internet options
Next, click on the connections tab and click on the setup icon. Go through the process and hopefully your computer should automatically setup and connect to the internet if not try the next couple of tests.

click start>programs>accessories>command prompt
type "ipconfig" and see if it even connects to the router. If it DOES connect to the router type "ping google.com" and tell me how the results go.

If all else fails, it could be a bad dns address. Try renewing your ip address in command prompt.

Let me know what your results are.

joeapple8
02-24-2009, 11:46 PM
run > cmd > ping google.com
see if you have a connection, if you time out, you might not be connected to the network, well that is if you're running windows lol let me know if u have a connection or not

ANVIL
02-25-2009, 09:01 AM
ill try that later today... but its running XP

Try this, open internet explorer and click on tools>internet options
Next, click on the connections tab and click on the setup icon. Go through the process and hopefully your computer should automatically setup and connect to the internet if not try the next couple of tests.

tried this already

there are other computers, that will connect. it says connected in the taskbar icon. i dont think it will ping up google.com

if it doesnt, whats the next step?

DMaxUSA
02-25-2009, 10:57 AM
Some Acer notebooks have a switch or function key to allow the wireless card to transfer data. It was a stupid power saving feature... The computer will say connected to the network, but will not transfer data.

Also, have you tried hooking up a hardline from your router to see if you can establish a data transfer?

Ragnarok043
02-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Some Acer notebooks have a switch or function key to allow the wireless card to transfer data. It was a stupid power saving feature... The computer will say connected to the network, but will not transfer data.

Also, have you tried hooking up a hardline from your router to see if you can establish a data transfer?

i believe its the switch on the bottom right edge, it looks like its a latch for the screen. you have to slide the switch and hold it for about 2 seconds to turn the WiFi on and off.

ANVIL
02-25-2009, 02:29 PM
i believe its the switch on the bottom right edge, it looks like its a latch for the screen. you have to slide the switch and hold it for about 2 seconds to turn the WiFi on and off.

im hoping that this is it... ill check when i get home... thanks for the suggestions guys!

ANVIL
02-26-2009, 09:55 AM
tried that switch, turns on it was on the whole time. when i turn it off, it wont even connect. when its on, it connects but acts like its not connected...

forgot to write down exactly those commands to ping google, so ill try that tonight. if it doesnt ping google, whats the next step? im pretty sure it wont ping any website...