PDA

View Full Version : Who owns Zilvia?

Anto
02-23-2009, 11:31 PM
West? RJF?

PostRelease? Lmao

Do you make any revenue from it? Is your face well known? Do people see you and say, "OH SHIT THAT'S THE OWNER OF ZILVIA.NET"

si? no?

Bubbles
02-23-2009, 11:35 PM
West? RJF?

Not sure.

Do you make any revenue from it?

I doubt it.

Is your face well known? Do people see you and say, "OH SHIT THAT'S THE OWNER OF ZILVIA.NET"

Definitely not.

gotta240
02-24-2009, 12:30 AM
Lol. No revenue? are you kidding me? You must be.

You think advertisements are free on this site?

ESmorz
02-24-2009, 12:32 AM
http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/images/matrixreloaded63.jpg

svensko
02-24-2009, 12:36 AM
Lol. No revenue? are you kidding me? You must be.

You think advertisements are free on this site?

You think bandwidth is free on this site?

cc4usmc
02-24-2009, 12:38 AM
I believe it's West.

mrmephistopheles
02-24-2009, 01:02 AM
West is Mark West
RJF is Bob F.
I'm Kevin

We're all co-owners, although Mark is the founder. Bob handles the money matters (paying the bills, working with advertisers), I swing around the ban stick and guide the moderation staff. Mark is just there to look pretty and stuff.

While Zilvia.net is technically a business (in that we take money for services rendered), it's not here to be a money-making enterprise. We're here primarily to support and enrich the S / Z chassis community. Other sites tend to abhor linking to us or other related sites in an effort to get better results on search engines, but we're not particular to that 'link juice'.

Anyway, most of the funds we receive go toward hosting fees and hardware maintenance and upgrades, and as the site grows, so do the costs. For a long time, Zilvia was operating in the red, but we're finally to a point that we don't need to beg for cash to finance server upgrades.

If you're wondering what color my Bentley is (or otherwise how much we 'make'), I'll just intimate that I've made more money working at a dealership at $10/hour for six months than I have in working on Zilvia for the past six years.

Anyway, we're all generally private people, although I'm more than happy to meet fellow Zilvians and 240sx enthusiasts in general. We're definitely not the attention-seeking sort, and that's fine with us.

Enna
02-24-2009, 02:58 AM
You just dont want anyone seeing your stockade of 240's kevin lol.

Flicktitty
02-24-2009, 09:52 AM
that's some good background info!

i always kind of wondered that too.

Chernobyl
02-24-2009, 09:56 AM
So Mark is still a part of all this? Cool. I really need to catch up with him sometime.

ThatGuy
02-24-2009, 10:03 AM
So Mark is still a part of all this? Cool. I really need to catch up with him sometime.

http://zilvia.net/f/members/west.html

Shoot him a PM sometime.

DCP94
02-24-2009, 10:07 AM
nice to know a little bit of a background..thanks guys

Edgar
02-24-2009, 10:24 AM
: / x1000000000000000000000

Gnnr
02-24-2009, 10:47 AM
http://zilvia.net/f/members/west.html

Shoot him a PM sometime.

I left him a thank you message on his page. ;)

mrmephistopheles
02-24-2009, 11:01 AM
You just dont want anyone seeing your stockade of 240's kevin lol.

SHOOSH! I run a 240sx rescue and charity. So many abused and neglected 240s out there, someone needs to do it.
:bigok:

Mark is still around, albeit hardly ever on Zilvia. He's had quite a bit of personal matters to attend to in recent years, so he hasn't had much time for Zilvia.

Phlip
02-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Mark actually posted once last week and moderated a thread a few months ago, it was kinda weird, lol.

Dirty Habit
02-24-2009, 01:10 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a3/Adam_West_on_Family_Guy.png

Mr. West.

lflkajfj12123
02-24-2009, 01:25 PM
it surprises me that you guys are claiming you don't make much money

a lot of internet businesses that run on this hits and advertising make like 2-4k a month easily

i mean you guys get A LOT of hits everyday and i can't imagine google adsense only paying you enough to manage bandwidth and servers

and zilvia also makes money on premium membership and group buy rights

sorry if i'm far off but i just see it as a lot of online businesses similar to this site would KILL for what you guys have going here

Dirty Habit
02-24-2009, 01:48 PM
The site was making tons of money until they took away reputation.
The recession, coupled with reputation extinction has caused the owners to find part time jobs and clean their own lavish homes.

lol.

Future240
02-24-2009, 02:06 PM
Now that I think about it, I've never seen a pic of any of the mods except Phlip and Barry. I don't even know the real name of S14DB.

Kevin where's Lisa been? I haven't seen her around here in a little while.

Curious, would it be possible for a member to buy into zilvia? Say if that person wanted zilvia to become a site that enriches the S/Z community, and just happens to make a nice little profit on the side.

Gnnr
02-24-2009, 02:08 PM

a lot of internet businesses that run on this hits and advertising make like 2-4k a month easily

i mean you guys get A LOT of hits everyday and i can't imagine google adsense only paying you enough to manage bandwidth and servers

sorry if i'm far off but i just see it as a lot of online businesses similar to this site would KILL for what you guys have going here

Have you ever seen what a dedicated server costs monthly? Yeah, I'm not surprised if they're just breaking even. There's 870 members on right now and there are usually over 1,000 during peak usage. That's a lot of bandwidth.

Future240
02-24-2009, 02:09 PM
^ Not to mention the ads on here are not from major corporations like AT&T, Dell, ect.

Jdm.I.Am
02-24-2009, 02:19 PM
what i want to know is how do you become a mod...

Future240
02-24-2009, 02:21 PM
^ By invitation

Because when someone is suggested to be a moderator, the entire body of their work as a member is looked over, usually one vote against comes with enough reasoning to sway the rest of us. Kinda in that "well damn, never saw it like that" sort of way. You'd be amazed to know who has been turned down since I have been on, but don't ask because I ain't telling.

Some People seem to be on a mood cycle. They will be nice and a kiss ass for a while then flaming then back to nice. Almost like a posting manic. can be a monthly, quarterly, yearly or weekly cycle. Just depends on the person. Just have to go back and look at the posts to make sure.

We also know who the reporting kiss asses are. It's more annoying like a tattle tale them helpful some times. Not that people shouldn't report if they are unsure cause we have found some interesting scams that way. It's the people that report every post in a stupid thread when the OP of one thread is fine.

Phlip
02-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Now that I think about it, I've never seen a pic of any of the mods except Phlip and Barry. I don't even know the real name of S14DB.

Funny, I have seen pictures of everyone on the staff, and their children and their pets and spouses... All of them (well, except RJF and racerx2k1, lol)
Lisa posted this morning in premium members, they've both been busy.
Other mods nominate you, then staff votes thumbs up/down, then you're in or not.

Future240
02-24-2009, 02:32 PM
Of course you have, you've been here since 2002, I've been lurking since 2007

Chernobyl
02-24-2009, 02:32 PM
Mark actually posted once last week and moderated a thread a few months ago, it was kinda weird, lol.

He must've been very bored haha.

azndoc
02-24-2009, 02:37 PM
One time when I did a group buy my premie member status got cancel for some odd reason and so I remember seeing a phone number on the paypal receipt.

So I figured it was Bob's (RJF) number so I called and instead Mark picked up. This is how the conversation went.

Me: "hello, hi is Bob there?"
Mark: "Oh no Bob's not here, who is this?"
Me: "Oh this is Jack, Azndoc on zilvia."
Mark: "Who?"
Me: "Oh you don't know who I am?"
Mark: "No no I don't."

Yeah took me down a couple of notches there.

Seemed like a nice guy though.

Sonic Motor
02-24-2009, 02:53 PM
One time when I did a group buy my premie member status got cancel for some odd reason and so I remember seeing a phone number on the paypal receipt.

So I figured it was Bob's (RJF) number so I called and instead Mark picked up. This is how the conversation went.

Wow are you serious???

I am laugh my ass off right now.

FCDRIFT
02-24-2009, 02:58 PM

wait wait wait.... so ur telling me ur not as famous as i thought? =(

!Zar!
02-24-2009, 03:31 PM
Jack?

Jack who?

Jack Sparrow?

ThatGuy
02-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Jack Sparrow?

That's CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow. Savvy?

:ddog:

Matej
02-24-2009, 04:01 PM
http://www.big-boards.com/kw/cars/traffic (http://www.big-boards.com/kw/cars/traffic/)

ryguy
02-24-2009, 05:01 PM
http://www.big-boards.com/kw/cars/traffic (http://www.big-boards.com/kw/cars/traffic/)

Honda Tech has 35 unique visitors per day? Something is wrong with that list.

Sonic Motor
02-24-2009, 05:04 PM

how accurate is that?

I thought zilvia had more visitors than that.

RJF
02-24-2009, 05:47 PM
how accurate is that?

I thought zilvia had more visitors than that.

That's pretty close. We are seeing between 9,000-10,000 unique visitors each day. As for Pageviews, that's between 5 million and 6 million per month. Last month our bandwidth was almost 600 Gigabytes.

francogt1
02-24-2009, 06:17 PM
yea that site is not updated or something.

Sonic Motor
02-24-2009, 06:20 PM
As for Pageviews, that's between 5 million and 6 million per month.

I think I was thinking of that. Cause I remember reading that somewhere and twas a huge number.

But yeah, thanks zilvia for being a great place to advertise =]
Much better than some other forums that I've looked into.

!Zar!
02-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Hah, barf is on there.

Pretty good for a bay area only forum.

mrmephistopheles
02-24-2009, 10:51 PM

Yeah, it's like hearing an old grandmother swear... you know shit's possible, but it's weird to see it happen. :keke:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a3/Adam_West_on_Family_Guy.png

Mr. West.

You know... he has been known to argue with potted plants...

I can't help but interpret this post as hostile. Don't take that to be anything more than an observation though - I'm not butthurt. I know tons of sites are out to make bucks, and that's cool. I'm not on Zilvia to make bucks. I'm simply a 240sx freak. We do charge money for stuff like premie memberships and advertising, but last time I checked (which, admittedly, has been awhile) we had the lowest advertising rates among similar forums.

Anyway I honestly don't know what the exact figures are that we deal with. Bob is the money man, I'm just here to crack skulls (figuratively). I'm comfortable taking him at his word that there's not a large financial cushion to rest on.

The site was making tons of money until they took away reputation.
The recession, coupled with reputation extinction has caused the owners to find part time jobs and clean their own lavish homes.

:tardrim:

j/k that was pretty good.

Curious, would it be possible for a member to buy into zilvia? Say if that person wanted zilvia to become a site that enriches the S/Z community, and just happens to make a nice little profit on the side.

She's still alive (although not on Zilvia hardly at all). We've been busy with school and stuff, which is why *I* have been on here only rarely as of late.

$10 million wired to an offshore bank account and I'll make anyone who wants to be one, a supermod

Awww, Jack is not as e-famous as he thought. Q_Q

punk138
02-24-2009, 11:32 PM
wait wait wait.... so ur telling me ur not as famous as i thought? =(

my friends and i went to pick up some tires from jack. we walk in and see pictures of his car all autographed and im like whoa its azndoc and my friend is all whos that? im like he pretty well known on zilvia...and as im saying that jack walks over and says im azndoc!

i thought he was pretty famous too...

ESmorz
02-24-2009, 11:35 PM
He's like whatever.

He's no BH though.

... and no BH don't start a thread about it, it will get locked. It's a conspiracy.

http://i.rollingstone.com/assets/rs/96/72952/images/00099428.jpg

Bubbles
02-25-2009, 12:02 AM
I own Zilvia daily.

Work it out on your own.

Sonic Motor
02-25-2009, 12:08 AM
my friends and i went to pick up some tires from jack. we walk in and see pictures of his car all autographed and im like whoa its azndoc and my friend is all whos that? im like he pretty well known on zilvia...and as im saying that jack walks over and says im azndoc!

i thought he was pretty famous too...

ah yes, I wish someone would make a thread call
"confessions: I thought AZNDOC was famous"

Would be so funny reading all the stories people have to say about azndoc. :rofl:

GluedMyNuts
02-25-2009, 01:03 AM
What's the bank account number that you want me to wire the $10mil to?

azndoc
02-25-2009, 01:05 AM
Sigh.

Actually believe it or not I'm not that famous.

And I'm perfectly cool with that.

It's kinda weird. Flybert and I were just talking about that. Like when we hang out we still call each other by screennames pretty much.

lol

azndoc
02-25-2009, 01:07 AM
He's like whatever.

He's no BH though.

... and no BH don't start a thread about it, it will get locked. It's a conspiracy.

http://i.rollingstone.com/assets/rs/96/72952/images/00099428.jpg

Wait who are you?

Oh... right..........

Carry on.

Better catch that BH bandwagon, don't wanna miss it.

ESmorz
02-25-2009, 01:45 AM
I'm me.

You're you.

I never caught that wagon.

cnichols
02-25-2009, 09:09 AM
I left West a thank you message on his page. ;)

Yeah...I still need to thank him for selling me a 240 w/ a busted 3rd cylinder and not disclosing the fact! :goyou:

Granted, I was ignorant at the time (this was 7 years ago) and believed him when he told me everything was fine, but it's also not like I could bring the proper tools w/ me on the plane to really check out the car.

kandyflip445
02-25-2009, 09:22 AM
Someone post the west+booze=baby pic. lol

God I've been here for so long. Half of you probably don't even know what I'm talking about T_T.

eh?
02-25-2009, 10:20 AM

Kudos to Zilvia management for resisting the urge to litter this site with Ads like Nico. I'm sure they could net a ton of money with the adsense ads, but it really detracts from the site. Kind shows what owners care about: the enthusiasts, or the money..

91240sil80
03-03-2009, 02:13 PM
http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/images/matrixreloaded63.jpg

lmao i can picture this

lflkajfj12123
03-03-2009, 04:28 PM
I can't help but interpret this post as hostile. Don't take that to be anything more than an observation though - I'm not butthurt. I know tons of sites are out to make bucks, and that's cool. I'm not on Zilvia to make bucks. I'm simply a 240sx freak. We do charge money for stuff like premie memberships and advertising, but last time I checked (which, admittedly, has been awhile) we had the lowest advertising rates among similar forums.

Definitely wasn't being hostile.

I mean I understand this site is dedicated to the community. Its just surprising that all the traffic this website receives there isn't a good amount of change coming in.

I piddled around a bit with internet advertising and all that crap and the whole goal was to have something like this website that draws a ton of traffic.

Shrug, I guess internet advertising as a living must be a pipe dream.

theronin
03-03-2009, 05:45 PM

well, im kinda a big deal

SimpleS14
03-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Someone post the west+booze=baby pic. lol

God I've been here for so long. Half of you probably don't even know what I'm talking about T_T.

I know what you're talking about :keke:

Future240
03-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Who the hell is this? http://zilvia.net/f/members/postrelease.html

RJF
03-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Who the hell is this? http://zilvia.net/f/members/postrelease.html

That's one of our advertisers that helps pay the bills around here. :bowdown:

Future240
03-08-2009, 10:13 PM
That's one of our advertisers that helps pay the bills around here. :bowdown:

How man other mysterious admins are there?

lflkajfj12123
03-08-2009, 11:10 PM
racer2kx1 is actually s14db

he just posts on that so no one hates him more