PDA

View Full Version : Moving out, any suggestions??

hegamiz
02-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Good day my fellow Zilvians!

Well... after giving some time to brew all scenarios, I’ve decided to move out of my parent’s house. But the whole reason for this post is to get some input from those of you who have gone through this, with or without success. Anything at all that I might have underestimated or something I might have overlooked (like costs and such).

Let me just give you some input on what I’ve accumulated, and my situation.
Well first off, I live in Bakersfield, CA. I moved here two years ago with my family, mainly for the cheap housing. Now, my whole social network is in LA County and I commute to LA County on a weekly basis to stay in touch with family, friends, and such. This isn't too convenient on my wallet or my time, and is the prime motivator. I'm currently hoping to save some $2,400 by the end of May to build my foundation. This mid-March I’ll be getting my AS in Network Systems Administration, then getting some certification soon after. With that I’ll be looking to get a job in LA County by the beginning of June, and a place to live w/ a friend that's interested in moving out as well. I'll be moving out with all my belonging except the furniture, the TV and maybe this desktop (looking for laptop). I figure with split housing and an income of ~$2,300 I could balance my expenses & luxuries (food, water, internet, phone, gf, gas...etc) and still have some left over to pay for kitchen, bathroom appliances and a bed, well at least I hope lol. :x:

So now… enlighten me.

Bubbles
02-22-2009, 08:12 PM
Stock up on lots of money, it runs out fast.

hegamiz
02-22-2009, 08:25 PM
definitely.

I'm set out to save $2,400, but if you're saying more, i'm starting to wonder...

Bubbles
02-22-2009, 08:29 PM
You would know better than me the cost of living in California.

All I'm saying is, whatever you plan to need, throw a little on top of that.

hegamiz
02-22-2009, 08:36 PM
true, better safe that sorry... thank you.

ro240sx
02-22-2009, 09:57 PM
I'll probably be going throught this in like 5 years.

SexPanda
02-22-2009, 10:02 PM
piss in a bottle... put it in the attic. Label it "happy fun time drink"

Then in a couple years they'll find it, be like wtf open it and hilarity will ensue

hegamiz
02-22-2009, 10:35 PM
piss in a bottle... put it in the attic. Label it "happy fun time drink"

Then in a couple years they'll find it, be like wtf open it and hilarity will ensue

Yiiieah... I don't think so lol

I'll probably leave a bag of oregano for them to find under my bed, and see what they say once they find it lol

jskateborders
02-22-2009, 10:39 PM
just do it. Make a goal, follow through.

HyperTek
02-22-2009, 10:53 PM
yeah im in a toss up cuz id like to get back into racing but the gear cost $$$ to be competitive, not to mention id probably need a new car since all my stuff is over 12 years old easily. Figure something micro would be fun because its alot more affordible i could get my buddys to get a few and we could set up some trucks or something..

maybe ill take some pics of what i have we could do some trading etc lol

BustedS13
02-22-2009, 11:04 PM
learn to cook. make your own lunch for work every day. get a roommate you can tolerate. even if it's your best friend, you're going to wind up hating him for a little while. make a list of shared responsibilities, talk it out with your roommate, and agree to some sort of schedule.

svensko
02-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Priorities!!!

Housing > Food > Fun or girls or cars. Do NOT buy some expensive components for your car (or even computer) and expect pity when you can't afford to live on your own. I'm about to be officially living on my own when I go to grad school. No more going home to do laundry. :wan:

hegamiz
02-22-2009, 11:12 PM
learn to cook. make your own lunch for work every day. get a roommate you can tolerate. even if it's your best friend, you're going to wind up hating him for a little while. make a list of shared responsibilities, talk it out with your roommate, and agree to some sort of schedule.

ah yes cooking, i have some experience, but i probably should broaden and refine my skills.

and yes i haven't really talk to my friend too much about this. he just showed interest, but you're right i gotta have a serious talk with him.

thanks

svensko
02-22-2009, 11:13 PM
ah yes cooking, i have some experience, but i probably should broaden and refine my skills.

and yes i haven't really talk to my friend too much about this. he just showed interest, but you're right i gotta have a serious talk with him.

thanks

Don't be afraid to eat Ramen every now and then but also be sure to eat vitamins regularly just to make sure you're getting what you need.

ESmorz
02-22-2009, 11:16 PM
Get a rich girlfriend or boyfriend.

Whatever you're into.

hegamiz
02-22-2009, 11:17 PM
Priorities!!!

Housing > Food > Fun or girls or cars. Do NOT buy some expensive components for your car (or even computer) and expect pity when you can't afford to live on your own. I'm about to be officially living on my own when I go to grad school. No more going home to do laundry. :wan:

Totally agree. I plan on being thrifty about this too and keeping the luxuries as minimal as possible.

you know, i totally forgot about laundry. i'll have to go to the laundry mat, wonder if that'll get expensive...

thanks man.

hegamiz
02-22-2009, 11:25 PM
Don't be afraid to eat Ramen every now and then but also be sure to eat vitamins regularly just to make sure you're getting what you need.

i don't mind Ramen at all lol
but buying in cheap bulk is a good idea.
i gotta write this all down lol

Whatever you're into.

hey... a sugar momma doesn't sound like a bad idea. hehe

Bubbles
02-23-2009, 12:09 AM

Sometimes you have to eat out to eat out.

Or stick it in a dudes pooper.

jyon9689
02-23-2009, 12:18 AM
Sometimes you have to eat out to eat out.

Or stick it in a dudes pooper.
:bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl: Reminds me of the landlord from the movie Kingpin!

hegamiz
02-23-2009, 12:53 AM
^^ oh god, i hope it doesn't come to that ^^

aoiken3
02-23-2009, 01:03 AM
take all the opportunities for free stuff that you can get. trust me, it helps. buy food from the supermarket. its much cheaper to make your own meal that eating out. i dont know if i'd consider food and water luxuries like you said in your first post. to me, its more of a necessity. lol. and yes, get a rich boyfriend or girlfriend. i got a rich roommate and life is good being able to use the big ass entertainment center. mainly, just try to keep spending low and buy only the stuff you absolutely need. thats my 2 cents

legacy927
02-23-2009, 08:28 AM
truthfully, if i was you, just move out on your own. Sometimes having a roommate might have a better advantage on splitting bills and rent. But there are times you want your own space. I live with my older brother, his wife, and my 4 yr old niece. It's been 2 yrs so far and I missed having my own basement. Not to mention, money & food has been the main concern. There are times where I think I was treated unfairly with the bills, and there were arguments about it. And my brother, hes a prick at times, dont feel like explaining cause it would go forever.

emersonLP
02-23-2009, 01:15 PM
If I were in your shoes, I would finish your certification(s), get a job, then get a place to live near your place of business. Its soooo nice to live near your work so you dont have to deal with traffic and long commutes. Plus you'll save money in gas/ wear and tear/ and you could go home for lunch.

obsolete
02-23-2009, 01:24 PM
^most def. get a job first before you do any of the other stuff. i don't know if that was a given. drive slow homey

hegamiz
02-23-2009, 06:15 PM
take all the opportunities for free stuff that you can get. trust me, it helps. buy food from the supermarket. its much cheaper to make your own meal that eating out. i dont know if i'd consider food and water luxuries like you said in your first post. to me, its more of a necessity. lol. and yes, get a rich boyfriend or girlfriend. i got a rich roommate and life is good being able to use the big ass entertainment center. mainly, just try to keep spending low and buy only the stuff you absolutely need. thats my 2 cents

looks like imma be hustlin' haha... but yeah i didn't mean to include food and water as luxuries, unless i eat out. lol

truthfully, if i was you, just move out on your own. Sometimes having a roommate might have a better advantage on splitting bills and rent. But there are times you want your own space. I live with my older brother, his wife, and my 4 yr old niece. It's been 2 yrs so far and I missed having my own basement. Not to mention, money & food has been the main concern. There are times where I think I was treated unfairly with the bills, and there were arguments about it. And my brother, hes a prick at times, dont feel like explaining cause it would go forever.

yeah i do worry about that... but having someone to split bills with sounds like a load off. i'll have to really think about that.

If I were in your shoes, I would finish your certification(s), get a job, then get a place to live near your place of business. Its soooo nice to live near your work so you dont have to deal with traffic and long commutes. Plus you'll save money in gas/ wear and tear/ and you could go home for lunch.

well getting the job first was the plan, but i didn't really think about the convenience of getting a place close to work.

Good info guys, I appreciate it. :bigok:

Vision Garage
02-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Stay at home as long as you can. Real lifes a bitch! haha. Once you are on your own, you'll realize how good you had it at your parents!

Ithical
02-23-2009, 07:44 PM
stay at home as long as you can. I had the same plan, ain't gunna happen. Now i'm going back to school for my 2nd degree just cause i cannot find work. Get the job first, save while working there, get well established in the job, then move out once you know for sure you'll have your job. Nothing's a guarantee but it's better than losing your house, possibly.

ALTRNTV
02-23-2009, 08:08 PM
Do not spend money for things you DO NOT need, during the first couple of months you're out on your
own. Trust me, those things will add up. I'm 24 now, been out of my mom's house since I was 18. Living on
your own is great, but you got to be smart and responsible with your money.

theicecreamdan
02-23-2009, 08:17 PM
buy food from the supermarket. its much cheaper to make your own meal that eating out.

not all the time, you can be damn sure I'm eating out on tuesday nights when Tacos are $1.25.

You seem to be planning this out pretty well. Only possible problem is that June seems like its pretty far away and its not far away at all. Don't lose sight of your goals. If you keep taking care of business between now and then you should be fine.

Since you're going to be a pretty big distance from home I would probably try to save up more than $2400, might need to cut back on your LA trips and eat at home with the parents for a few months. $2400 could be one in 2 months pretty easily if anything goes wrong (car, job, health etc.)

hegamiz
02-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Stay at home as long as you can.
stay at home as long as you can.

Yeah, I realize I'll have it easier at home, but that's just not what I want, and I'm almost 100% i can do this. Of course I won't make a move until I do feel 100%.

and thanks AkademikONE, good morale booster.

not all the time, you can be damn sure I'm eating out on tuesday nights when Tacos are $1.25.

You seem to be planning this out pretty well. Only possible problem is that June seems like its pretty far away and its not far away at all. Don't lose sight of your goals. If you keep taking care of business between now and then you should be fine.

Since you're going to be a pretty big distance from home I would probably try to save up more than $2400, might need to cut back on your LA trips and eat at home with the parents for a few months. $2400 could be one in 2 months pretty easily if anything goes wrong (car, job, health etc.)

Yeah I'm willing to extend till July if something should come up, but like you said i won't let myself loose sight of the goal.
and the money issue keeps coming up, so i've decided to look for a second job. It's becoming apparent that my starting $2400 isn't gonna hold me up for too long, I don't have a goal so i'll just say $5000 for now.

Thanks again guys.

SochBAT
02-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Pay rent ON TIME.

Fuck do i owe rent.

JeremyR
02-23-2009, 10:02 PM

Whatever you're into.

finally, someone with my point of view!

Jdotsturn
02-23-2009, 10:20 PM
The first month is the hardest because your trying to get everything situated. During the first month you'll spend most of your money on food. Take all the hand me down furniture u can get just to get by for the first few months. Make sure you have enough money aside for deposits for stuff like gas or electricity. Also, try and save up around 4-6 months worth of rent before you even consider moving out and stash it away just in case u get laid off or something.

Another thing is just budget yourself. I've been able to get by these past few months with like $150 every two weeks (thats with a girlfriend).

ALTRNTV
02-23-2009, 11:25 PM
Check Craigslist as well for FREE and/or CHEAP furniture or things you might need.

svensko
02-24-2009, 12:40 AM
Check Craigslist as well for FREE and/or CHEAP furniture or things you might need.

Also try FreeCycle.

The Freecycle Network (http://www.freecycle.org/)

CrashQueen
02-24-2009, 03:16 AM
stay at home as long as you can. I had the same plan, ain't gunna happen. Now i'm going back to school for my 2nd degree just cause i cannot find work. Get the job first, save while working there, get well established in the job, then move out once you know for sure you'll have your job. Nothing's a guarantee but it's better than losing your house, possibly.

that's great that you'll be receiving your AS soon, and it's great that you're trying to plan out everything in a hopeful and realistic manner. But truth of the matter is right now, with any kind of degree or not, the job market is SHIT right now. Good luck on trying to find a well paying SECURE job. You just never know these days. I know some people who have been laid off since last year and are still having a hard time finding a job. I agree with the dude i quoted above. Stay home, find a job first but stay in that job till you get established, security, and earn a comfortable yet secure income.

Telling you from experience, I made the mistake of not saving enough money when I moved out. And the next thing you know, I was laid off, depended on unemployment that barely covered important bills, my rent, and forced me to to have to move back home because the only thing i was able to pay, was for my survival. (food, shelter, and gas) So basically, I now have a very hefty debt that I used to pay off without a problem and on time, had to move back home, and still in search of a decent job to save me. This all happened in october btw. It's depressing really, but I know that losing a job isn't my fault and I could have had it wayyy worse. It's just the reality of things now.

Seriously, it's great you're excited and you have a set schedule on how to handle things...get degree first, find a job first, move out. But I'm telling you, save as much as you can and definitely because of how our economy is right now. You don't want to set your hopes all high and end up losing everything. It really sucks donkey dick.

legacy927
02-24-2009, 06:58 AM
and I also believe that the first month's rent is actually double as a deposit....

hegamiz
02-25-2009, 01:38 AM
Well thanks everyone...and thanks CrashQueen, that was a great amount of insight. I didn't realize how much I underestimated the scenario, even though I though I planned it out thoroughly. But this is just what I was hoping for. I needed the bigger picture and I got it.

Awesome, thank you all for delivering! :bigok: