PDA

View Full Version : which color for powdercoating?

uiuc240
03-05-2003, 04:16 PM
I'm thinking of powdercoating my wheels. They are nothing special...just something I picked up a couple of years ago at Discount Tire. I'm going to be getting new tires this summer, so I thought I might get the color changed while I'm at it. Black is the cheapest, so that's probably what I'll go with, but I'm up for suggestions. Here is what it should/might look like:

Original
http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~edjohnsn/plain.jpg

Black
http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~edjohnsn/black.jpg

Bronze
http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~edjohnsn/bronze.jpg

Any thoughts/comments are welcome, but know that I'm probably going to go with the black setup no matter what you say :D

Oh, and a polished lip is not an option...that adds cost. Trying to keep it cheap. I was considering spray paint, but I can get them coated for $200/set with prep work.

Eric

KiDyNomiTe
03-05-2003, 04:21 PM
Go with black, looks nice. IIRC someone on this board in chi-town does all that stuff, try talking to him and see if he can offer a better deal.

I'll try to find the thread with his site

KiDyNomiTe
03-05-2003, 04:26 PM
Here is the site
http://sl103.tripod.com/

Quote from site:
POWDERCOATING PRICES
i have colors from basic colors to transulencet anodized colors, to color changing colors similar to chamelon colors!!!!

$200 for wheels price includes shipping any color plus a gloss clear coat for added protection.
white, gunmetal,bronze,black, or any color

I am sure you could get it for cheaper since no shipping, he is in bloomington.

PARAD0X
03-05-2003, 04:47 PM
you had the stock se alloys right? if you still do, i'd be interested in them

uiuc240
03-05-2003, 05:10 PM
stock alloys are for my snow tires :)

thanks for the tip Kid. i'll check it out

Eric

mrdirty
03-05-2003, 05:18 PM
black looks super clean; go that way.

nrcooled
03-05-2003, 05:29 PM
I voted before I saw the photochop. I love the bronze (voted for the black) Go bronze

PARAD0X
03-05-2003, 05:42 PM
oh well. but i say go black

silnv
03-05-2003, 07:06 PM
I would say black awesome look!

Reklaw
03-05-2003, 08:29 PM
Everyone seems to like black, but honestly I believe black looks dirty. The tires will never look as smooth as the wheel (unless all you do is show the car) so the tires always look dirty and worn. I really like the bronze, it's a good looking color and goes well with the car color. However, the current color (Silver) looks soooo clean and crisp. I'd stick with it. Just my opinion, good luck with what ever you do!

uiuc240
03-05-2003, 09:15 PM
Hmmm...interesting thoughts. I may just leave it alone. After all, $200 is half the cost of a KMD stainless manifold for my SR. I think that's the better choice. Or it's $200 towards the FMIC I also need. Maybe $20 of rattle-can action is all I really need. It worked for my roommate. The stupid thing is, I only spent $400 for all 4 of the wheels when they were NEW. Yeah, F that. I'm just going to either spray paint them or do nothing.

Thanks all.

Eric

DuffMan
03-06-2003, 10:00 AM
rattle-can is where it's at

GotDriftS14
03-07-2003, 07:07 AM
yeah, i spray painted my stock wheels, it came out very nice though. some guy at Buttonwillow even thought they were powdercoated! i used 2 coats of black primer, 3 coats of graphite wheel paint, then 2 clear coats. no pics though, hehehe, i'll have some someday...

96SEChick
03-17-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by uiuc240
Hmmm...interesting thoughts. I may just leave it alone. After all, $200 is half the cost of a KMD stainless manifold for my SR. I think that's the better choice. Or it's $200 towards the FMIC I also need. Maybe $20 of rattle-can action is all I really need. It worked for my roommate. The stupid thing is, I only spent $400 for all 4 of the wheels when they were NEW. Yeah, F that. I'm just going to either spray paint them or do nothing.

Thanks all.

Eric

I think you should leave them the way they are. Those are awesome wheels, and the style and stock color look excellent on your car. Save the $200 & put it towards your FMIC :D

-E-
03-18-2003, 06:31 PM
If I was gonna powdercoat the wheels I would go with bronze

Ghettokracker71
01-07-2004, 08:08 PM
Is that a redtop I see prowling under that hood?

Man...you've got the same color as my FB,and very similar wheels...from the pic it looks like it anyway,what kind are they ?

DON'T POWDER COAT THEM....they look sweet !

Dude....put the money into that redtop....

Car looks sweet,but too close to my FB.....although your SR would cook my stock*for now* KA....:doh: