PDA

View Full Version : Future RX7 and RX9 Thread

exitspeed
02-19-2009, 12:51 PM
What we know so far (or what we think we know):

The recent news out of Japan hasn't been good for fans of front-engine, rear-wheel-drive two-doors. First came word that Subaru and Toyota were postponing the launch of their boxer-powered RWD coupe, then the S2000 is killed off and finally reports suggest that Nissan has cancelled its Silvia successor. Thankfully, all is not lost. InsideLine is reporting that Mazda is hard at work on another version of the RX-7 and development is underway on the next RX-8, supposedly – and predictably – dubbed the RX-9.

According to IL's (traditionally) unnamed sources, Mazda is working on a 16X twin-rotor Wankel (two rotors, each displacing 800cc), boosting displacement of the current 13B by 300cc and putting out upwards of 270 hp in naturally aspirated guise. Mazda's aim for its next generation of rotary engines is to dramatically reduce emissions and boost fuel economy to the tune of 20%.

Mazda will likely use the same engine to motivate the RX-7, but in addition to offering a traditional manual gearbox, Mazda is developing a dual-clutch transmission with a twist: the DCT will allow drivers to set the exact points where the clutch packs engage for maximum performance on the track.

The RX-7's circuit-friendly cred is enhanced by the report that Mazda engineers are struggling to keep the coupe's curb weight in check. An all-new chassis is being developed that will supposedly eliminate around 220 pounds, bringing the RX-7's weight down to approximately 2,640 pounds.

We're keeping our fingers crossed that both the RX-7 and RX-9 will make an appearance during this year's show season, although the way things are going, we don't expect to see either at this year's Tokyo Motor Show.

Source Autoblog

Ailiaw
02-19-2009, 12:58 PM
Its not gonna happen.

This is coming from an RX-8 owner, it is such a niche car already that introducing another one especially within the next few years is most likely going to fail BADLY.

What they need to do is take the RX-8 and slap on some turbos, THEN it would sell like hot cakes. They already re-vamped the body styling for 09 and made it handle even better. Now all they need is the power. Turbos, or 20b. Take your pick.

Also if I remember correctly, Mazda has only sold something like 170 RX-8s so far this year.

HyperTek
02-19-2009, 01:27 PM
not sure 2 rotary sports cars side by side in the line up will be a good thing... Just revive the rx7 name, its already got a reputable name.

WILDACEX187
02-19-2009, 01:33 PM
my guess is that the rx7 will be 2 seater only and the rx9 have the back seats? just a contemplation. though i would love to see another rx7, too bad they're not boosting the rotary :(

VROOOM
02-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Its not gonna happen.

This is coming from an RX-8 owner, it is such a niche car already that introducing another one especially within the next few years is most likely going to fail BADLY.

What they need to do is take the RX-8 and slap on some turbos, THEN it would sell like hot cakes. They already re-vamped the body styling for 09 and made it handle even better. Now all they need is the power. Turbos, or 20b. Take your pick.

Also if I remember correctly, Mazda has only sold something like 170 RX-8s so far this year.

when i took my car in for service i saw a new RX8. it looked awesome, till i saw they were marking it up 5k. i kinda chuckled and walked away. especially since a Mazdaspeed3 will own it in more ways than one for 23k(although the speed3 is fwd).

SochBAT
02-19-2009, 01:36 PM
RX7, i WISH.

RX8, I hope not. Shits garbage.

WILDACEX187
02-19-2009, 01:38 PM
the rx8 handles great from wat i remember, it just has no power.

all show no go
02-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Imagine if they would just Re-released the FD's..
make em' again to the same specs as the 2002 models right before they were discontinued. The bodystyling is timeless and would blend in great with cars of today, not to mention the power and handling of them.
I bet they would sell well enough. Ehhh just my :2c:.

JoeC1982
02-19-2009, 01:59 PM
I don't think they can even produce cars anymore with flip up headlights. I actually like the RX8 after driving it and doing some research. Its definitely not for everyone and i never even really considered it but i think i'm about to buy one.

illvialuver
02-19-2009, 03:23 PM
When I drive to work I see so many rx8s its retarded. always driving through the canyons, and the whole south orange county area. I think it would be cool.

az_240
02-19-2009, 03:31 PM
I hear nothing but bad things about rx-8's. A friend has one and has nothing but problems with it.

I would like to see another rx-7.

fckillerbee
02-19-2009, 03:33 PM
RX8 fail...handles fine, no steering agle for drifting, absolutely no torque to spin wheels, motor is even more unrelieable than the others. Please bring back the famous RX7 with upgrades.

murda-c
02-19-2009, 03:47 PM
lol yeah mazda you should build cars that are good for drifting not good on the track.

fromxtor
02-19-2009, 03:56 PM
^^ Wouldn't it be funny if mazda, nissan, and toyota just started building S13/S14s, FDs, and Supras again. Like eff making new cars lets just re-vamp the old ones.

Daniel.
02-19-2009, 03:57 PM
RX8 fail...handles fine, no steering agle for drifting, absolutely no torque to spin wheels, motor is even more unrelieable than the others. Please bring back the famous RX7 with upgrades.

wait, tell me how much more reliable the rx-7 was over the rx-8?

and wait, mazda built the rx-8 to drift?!

NO WAI!:bowdown:

ronmcdon
02-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Mazda ought to just give the Miata a respectable power-plant and/or throw on a turbo, then call it a day. Same deal for the RX-8. The car drives great as is. It just needs more power. I just don't think its cost effective to throw in another performance car in their line-up, esp given the current state of the economy.

I also don't see the merit of keeping rotary engines.

VROOOM
02-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Mazda ought to just give the Miata a respectable power-plant and/or throw on a turbo, then call it a day. Same deal for the RX-8. The car drives great as is. It just needs more power. I just don't think its cost effective to throw in another performance car in their line-up, esp given the current state of the economy.

I also don't see the merit of keeping rotary engines.

all they need to do is put in the MZR motor from the MS3, MS6, CX7.
263hp and 280ft/lbs. they could put it in both the Miata and the RX8 and they both would be fine.

svensko
02-19-2009, 04:31 PM
motor is even more unrelieable than the others. Please bring back the famous RX7 with upgrades.

Are you serious? You should just stop with cars. :naw:

http://www.dubspeedracing.com/photopost/data/890/rx7_reliability.jpg

HyperTek
02-19-2009, 04:34 PM
reliability relies on who and how the car was driven and taken care of.. maintenance is needed with every car... its just piston engines have a higher tolerance of stupid user neglect.

Daniel.
02-19-2009, 04:41 PM
reliability relies on who and how the car was driven and taken care of.. maintenance is needed with every car... its just piston engines have a higher tolerance of stupid user neglect.

finally some sense is being spoken

qft

svensko
02-19-2009, 04:41 PM

*ping* Help! I just a whole engine. :naw:

lucky7
02-19-2009, 05:00 PM
i have zero interest in a rotarty powered car. i dont care how many turbos it has. :keke: i'd rather just buy more E30's. :D

drftmark
02-19-2009, 05:30 PM
i have zero interest in a rotarty powered car. i dont care how many turbos it has. :keke: i'd rather just buy more E30's. :D

It looks like your luck has run out. LUCKY

Monooxide
02-19-2009, 05:34 PM
The RX-7's circuit-friendly cred is enhanced by the report that Mazda engineers are struggling to keep the coupe's curb weight in check. An all-new chassis is being developed that will supposedly eliminate around 220 pounds, bringing the RX-7's weight down to approximately 2,640 pounds.

Source Autoblog

I find this hard to believe with the FDs curb weight at ~2700

Its not gonna happen.

The last thing the RX8 needs is turbos, the Side Port exhaust is not very susceptible to turbocharging as well as the transmission that tends to give out before 350WHP.

The engine has less torque because of the traction control system the retards timing and dumps fuel because it sees rear wheel slip in comparison to the front wheels. This same thing happens on the dyno so you can't really get accurate numbers as well.

JRas
02-19-2009, 05:41 PM
RX9 should be more like an RX7; lightweight, good power, great handling, and nice looking.

I never really liked the styling of the RX8.. I've heard good things handling wise but it's not very powerful.

they should definitely retire the RX7 name though...

Bubbles
02-19-2009, 08:00 PM
BN Sports FD dropped on the ground with a KA powerplant would make me happier than anything Mazda will actually make.

WILDACEX187
02-19-2009, 08:32 PM
BN Sports FD dropped on the ground with a KA powerplant would make me happier than anything Mazda will actually make.

ugh :barf: u had to kill it with the ka thing didnt u

Bubbles
02-19-2009, 08:39 PM
I'd take a bone stock D16 as long as the thing ran 24-7.

sub9lulu
02-19-2009, 09:17 PM
they better not call it rx7
rx7 was legendary .... just make a rx7

Monooxide
02-20-2009, 03:01 PM
they better not call it rx7
rx7 was legendary .... just make a rx7

They made the RX7 for over 20 years, because it was/is.

To bring back the RX7 name and do it right would be understandable.

However, I see it very unlikely for two rotary sports cars being produced. I even find one hard to fathom, although the 16X has been developed so it still leaves some light.

JoeC1982
02-20-2009, 03:29 PM
MAZDA:16X | The Rotary Engine (http://www.mazda.com/mazdaspirit/rotary/16x/)

ro240sx
02-20-2009, 04:57 PM
The RX 8 weighs about 3000 lbs. All mazda needs to do is get horsepower up to around 300+ and it will be a good competitor.

ZilviaKid
02-20-2009, 06:21 PM
They should call chevy up and see if they can borrow some ls1's.

DONE

Gnnr
02-20-2009, 10:43 PM

If I remember correctly. The FD and the whole warranty drama was the reason they pulled the rotary from the US in the first place. It doesn't exactly have a reputation of reliability, and the fact that they got the RX8 to sell so well says something.

jimmytango00
02-20-2009, 11:08 PM
has anyone actually owned a rotoray engine? all they need is love and care, i drove a turbo2 gtu and it was reliable as hell... was it alot of work? yes, was it fun? hell yes, rotarys are amazing if you know how to take care of them.

Gnnr
02-20-2009, 11:13 PM
Amongst the general populous they earned that stigma. I'm not talking about enthusiasts. I would try and find the article but I'm too tired...

jimmytango00
02-20-2009, 11:17 PM
Amongst the general populous they earned that stigma. I'm not talking about enthusiasts. I would try and find the article but I'm too tired...

well the general public treats it like a piston engine haha, they go thousands of miles with out checking oil etc..... i wasnt reffering to your post, its just that all these people come in here dissing rotorys and i bet more than half of them have never owned one

Bubbles
02-21-2009, 02:27 PM
has anyone actually owned a rotoray engine?

You don't own a rotary engine, it owns you.

When it never starts.

HyperTek
02-21-2009, 02:47 PM
Theres 2 kinds of people.. People who fear the rotary because of what they heard about it.. and those who own and love it because of how they perform.

=D

Gnnr
02-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Where's that rotary grenade gif, lol. just teasing...

jimmytango00
02-21-2009, 09:07 PM
thank you, my 13bt never left me anywhere and started everymorning, shit ran like a champ.

i miss it, the feel of a rotory is incredible.

Theres 2 kinds of people.. People who fear the rotary because of what they heard about it.. and those who own and love it because of how they perform.

=D