PDA

View Full Version : S13 Tranny swap help?

jarredd
02-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Hi guys,

I am just swapping out my old, busted auto transmission... for a newer, less miles, better condition auto transmission.

Just wondering if anyone might be willing to give me a hand with installing it. I am in Vista, CA. I can throw in beer or some cash.... I dont have any tools for the job, so if you have tools and are handy around the engine bay, let me know.... I am hoping to get it done this weekend.... Feb 21-22, 2009

Anyway, thanks for checking it out....

JarredD

repda916
02-17-2009, 05:31 PM
you only need a jack, jack stands, muscle, 14mm, and like a 15mm.

jarredd
02-18-2009, 08:15 AM
DAMN, thats all. I will just go pick those up. I have been looking all over for a list of specific tool required and only find general items. Like wrenches, sockets and wd40. I was hoping someone would know exactly what sizes of wrench, sockets, extensions, and all that is needed to do it. I just want to be prepared and minimize runs to the parts store.

S14DB
02-18-2009, 08:42 AM
You'll need a Jack or 2. Jack stands 14mm, 15mm and maybe a 17mm if you have to pull the flexplate.

Jack up the car as high as the transmission and put it on stands.
Unplug the harness.
Drain the oil.
Disconnect the oil cooler lines
Pull the driveshaft.
Unbolt the dust shield and remove the 4 bolts holding the TQ converter to the flex plate.
Place the jack under the transmission but not on the pan.
Unbolt the transmission from the engine. If your mounts are worn the engine may rock and you have to support it with a jack(stand).
Unbolt the transmission mount and drop the transmission with the jack.
Reverse steps to install.
I recommend using a new or the TQ converter with the "new" transmission. The old TQ converter can be full of shit that killed the old one.
Remember to fill the transmission. Then start the car and put it in neutral and check the fluid level again.

Still need at least 2 experienced people to do this, if not 3. The auto transmission is heavy. It's easy to drop the old one and bench press up a 5-speed. Lifting a new auto would be a pita and you need a jack to do it.

jarredd
02-18-2009, 09:00 AM
S14DB,

thank you very much for the writeup

SDS13COUPE
02-18-2009, 09:22 AM
I'd help you out, but I got an event at the Nos center this weekend. Those auto trans. weigh a ton and a half. You need someone with an arm like -->:trogdor: Good luck.

jarredd
02-19-2009, 08:18 AM
I'd help you out, but I got an event at the Nos center this weekend. Those auto trans. weigh a ton and a half. You need someone with an arm like -->:trogdor: Good luck.

Haha, true... I am sure that I will round some people up, just hoping that they have some knowledge of cars in general and sorta know what they are doing.

Vision Garage
02-20-2009, 02:25 AM
just 5 speed it. Save yourself the trouble of doing it twice!