PDA

View Full Version : where do i get my sr20?

krapz
02-15-2009, 12:29 AM
I'm a jdm rookie in the San Fernando Valley and i just bought a 91' 240sx and I dont really know where to get started as to buying an SR20det. I looked online and I found a bunch of places but nowhere local. I'm trying to stay local and get the best deal on an SR20 if at all possible. Also is it hard to do the swap myself? I'm on a college budget but I have big dreams for my 240 and i know it all starts with an SR20 so i'd appreciate any feedback, pointers, guidanace...etc. thanks in advance.

Ithical
02-15-2009, 12:33 AM
you should read the rules and research more. Illegal activities are not allowed here.

brndck
02-15-2009, 01:43 AM
I'm a jdm rookie in the San Fernando Valley and i just bought a 91' 240sx and I dont really know where to get started as to buying an SR20det. I looked online and I found a bunch of places but nowhere local. I'm trying to stay local and get the best deal on an SR20 if at all possible. Also is it hard to do the swap myself? I'm on a college budget but I have big dreams for my 240 and i know it all starts with an SR20 so i'd appreciate any feedback, pointers, guidanace...etc. thanks in advance.

my .02 is get all of your suspension stuff upgraded before you go for power upgrades.

but. the swap is not terribly difficult if you are mechanically inclined and have patience. if you can barely change your oil i wouldn't recommend trying this swap. the wiring can be challenging, but there are quite a few sites (like frsport) that have detailed write-ups.

you are INCORRECT when you state that "it all starts with an sr20". it starts with a BALANCED approach to tuning. upgrade in stages. if you upgrade power, also upgrade braking and suspension at the same time to match.

you should read the rules and research more. Illegal activities are not allowed here.
wth are you talking about? he never says anything about this being a street car. it could be a track only car. don't jump to conclusions noob. he clearly states that he's looked online and not found anyplace local to him.

240sxdb
02-15-2009, 11:42 AM
^ What he said

94cc0rd
02-15-2009, 05:50 PM
Before you come in and get flamed by all the zilvia elitist pricks, I'll give it to you soft.

Do your research before you post another thread like this. Search on zilvia. There is TONS of information available and plenty of threads just like this one that has a LOT Of good info on getting started.

With that out of the way, What are you trying to accomplish with your car?

Is it going to be a daily driver with the occasional canyon/mountain run or a full track beast or maybe something in the middle?

You said your on a college budget but believe me when I say, Save up your money and do everything right the first time. It may cost a little bit more up front but will save you tons of time, headache, and money in the long run.

As for getting yourself a SR20, I would think twice and do a lot of research before you make your decision. There are plenty of shops in socal that are reputable and can get you a good motor set or front clip. A few off the top of my head are G-dimension, sr20store, sr motorcars...

blasting_speed
02-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Why get an SR??? You should get an RB.

240love
02-15-2009, 08:58 PM

This guy......

Yellow4g63
02-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Why not a VH45 swap?

krapz
02-15-2009, 10:46 PM
haha ok " Ithical ". calm down.

krapz
02-15-2009, 10:56 PM
brndck:

thank you i appreciate your patience and advice. i will definitely take these things into consideration. i'm aware that all the info i need is probably scattered around this site but i'm new to forums so i figured i might try and ask while i do the research on my own to try and save a little time. i consider myself mechanically inclined i've worked on cars with my pops here and there but i want to do this myself i want to accomplish building this car i just wanted assurance that i wasnt going to bite off more than i could chew. youre right i guess i did have the wrong approach in thinking the SR comes first, i know that suspension makes all the difference along with stopping power to supplement the horsepower...i guess i just wasnt thinking so i'll look into those parts and try and devise a plan where i develop the car in all main aspects (handling, power, etc.) to bring it about in a balanced way.

XxCarChickxX
02-15-2009, 11:25 PM
if you plan on doing the swap yourself the best place I've found to buy motors is neo tech in San Diego. They are definitely the most reliable. Also, i would just have the wiring done at mckinney motorsports in Murrieta. It is only a few hundred and it makes the job a hell of alot easier.

krapz
02-15-2009, 11:26 PM
94cc0rd:

first off thanks for the heads up i will start doing a lot more research before i go posting more newbie threads. if you have any suggestions for where else i might get resource info cool, if not its all good i'm sure i'll find some.

as for my intentions with the car honestly, i love drift its awesome but realistically am i going to be drifting on the regular any time soon? probably not. i'm looking for a really good handling powerful street car in the above 300 hp range. maybe i will hit the track here and there but mostly a street car.

i definitely here you big time on doing things right the first time. i dont intend to go cheap its just with the way the economy is right now i'm looking to get the goods for the best deals but i guess i'll have to search for each part as i come to it. i definitely intend on patiently gathering the funds to get the best part for each aspect when i get to it.. i plan on getting the good stuff and avoiding doing any "mickey mouse" mods. i'm just not entirely sure where to start putting my money first... i have been thinking about coilovers... (d-max, hks..?)

and i appreciate your input on the engines, the truth is i'm not entirely sure as to what specifici engine set up i want to go with. honestly i want to stand out with tasteful mods and i like rare parts but i also have to consider i want to avoid headaches as much as possible because i am trying to get as much of a build done as i can before september of this year and i know 240sx's are common and i know SR20's are common but i figure since the SR20 set up is so common it would be the best choice for me because there is more info available?? but i will do more research thanks again.

krapz
02-15-2009, 11:34 PM
XxCarChickxX:

thanks a lot. i've been meaning to go to san diego i guess this would make for a good reason. i'm gonna give the wiring and everything else a good shot before i take it to a shop. i like getting my hands dirty, and i know i'll love the sense of accomplishment when i finish the car. but good lookin out.

DataXUnknown
02-15-2009, 11:56 PM
Almost everyone I know got their SR's from San Diego. Weather it be local shops or local Zilvian's, one way or another it most likely came from San Diego. Well originally Japan, but you know what I mean.

Doing it yourself isn't as hard as it seems and is a great learning experience. Plus like you said, once it runs you feel incredible. Well at least the first time. Just make sure when you get the engine to do some prep work, clean it up a bit check for rust, maybe replace a couple hoses that look bad, clean the engine bay etc. It will save you some work in the long run. There is a guide to the wiring portion on FRsport.com. It is pretty easy.

Take your time with it. Wherever you get the engine from, make sure you get either a 30-day startup gaurentee or a compression check, or if your buying a front clip, have them start it for you. :)

9s13Coupe3SX
02-16-2009, 12:10 AM
post in wtb and I'll hook you up.