PDA

View Full Version : if you only had a job for 1 week, do you put it on ur resume??

HyperTek
02-13-2009, 07:35 PM
So yeah, i worked 1 week thru an employment agency, how would i list that on my resume?? do i list it under the agency since they hired me?

Gnnr
02-13-2009, 07:53 PM
I think if you where working for less than 30 days (it might be up to 90 days) you don't get listed as an employee. Like you don't get a W2 from them, so I wouldn't list it. I would bring it up in an interview though if you mention you where working odd jobs here and there etc.

HyperTek
02-13-2009, 07:58 PM
i did data entry for that week.. and today i got an email from another agency for this cool position at some computer parts distributor doin customer service/sales etc.. they want me to shoot a resume over asap, im jus curious if i should put that 1 week of work on there since otherwise my last work on my resume was march 08!

cc4usmc
02-13-2009, 08:05 PM
I'd put it. March of 08 is a long time to be unemployed lol.

Gnnr
02-13-2009, 08:07 PM
I would list the month you worked in if you want to list it, or did you just start and are still there?

You can list it like

ACME Inc. January 2009

or if you're still there or something

ACME Inc. January 2009 - Present

this would be indicating you worked a full month though

ACME Inc. January 2009-February 2009

Since it would be the most recent entry, chances are they'd call to verify you worked there. In that case I would call up the Data entry place and talk to the Manager or Human Resources there and talk to them so everything is good when they call.

Also, with the way the economy is, I believe hiring departments are understand that lots of people haven't been working for a long time, so don't let that deter you.

HyperTek
02-13-2009, 08:08 PM
yeah i know.. almost a year already =(
if any questions come up as to why so long, ill simply say tough times with the economy and all. Im sure any sensible human being would take that into consideration.

I was assigned there for a week, but after 3 days they no longer needed me *temp job*
Data entry for a company called Money and More, but i was hired thru Appleone, so it was Appleone sending me to that place to work.
I was there from end of jan to like first day of feb..
ill just put it on somehow, I suppose I should list the Agencys name *Appleone* since they are the ones who cut the check.
so i guess just put jan -feb appleone ?

ronmcdon
02-13-2009, 08:17 PM
if it were me, i'd just say I worked with 'such and such' employment agency from date x to date y. Doesn't matter how many companies you worked with during the duration, or how many days you were actually employed.

That would look better than a list of several companies for a short durations imo.

Gnnr
02-13-2009, 08:19 PM
I think ronmcdon's has the right idea. Are you still with the agency? Like are you active with them or in their system? I would call them as well and discuss it with them.

HyperTek
02-13-2009, 08:19 PM
i guess just list the agency huh.. cuz i hit them up that month in jan and they had got me that 1 week job.. sadly that was the only job i had since march 08 *from apr 05 to march 08 was my old job for 3 years which is decent i think*

Yeah i should still be active with them so ill just put jan - feb just to be safe

BustedS13
02-13-2009, 08:22 PM
if it were me, i'd just say I worked with 'such and such' employment agency from date x to date y. Doesn't matter how many companies you worked with during the duration, or how many days you were actually employed.

That would look better than a list of several companies for a short durations imo.

i'd do the same. list the temp agency for the entire empty stretch in your work history. i was always under the impression that listing anywhere you worked for under like six months was lame.

edit: also pull a george costanza and list a buddy's phone number for the reference >.>

HyperTek
02-13-2009, 08:25 PM
edit: also pull a george costanza and list a buddy's phone number for the reference >.>

hehe :bowdown:

ill jus be honest and put jan-feb , they can question it they want . if they call the agency to verify, well im not lying. my prior jobs on the resume will just have more discriptive info should be ok i think.

BustedS13
02-13-2009, 08:27 PM
this thread reminds me that i said i'd leave this company after six months, and it's now coming up on two years. i need to update my resume.

....or open a hipster bar that only has pabst blue ribbon. hmm.

Gnnr
02-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Vandelay Industries, lol.

HyperTek, you'll be fine. Just be sure to call up the agency to make sure everything is ok. Be confident if you get an interview. Don't be discouraged about your recent work history, they'll understand. That's the way the economy is and they'd know unless they've been under a rock for the past year and a half. Good luck!

BustedS13
02-13-2009, 08:39 PM
well, there aren't like, millions of middle class dudes living on hoovervilles just yet. i don't know anybody who doesn't have a job (who should).

i think the LAST thing i would use to explain gaps in my work history would be "the recession". make some shit up. i told an interviewer that i was doing home renovations with my dad for like three months.

HyperTek
02-13-2009, 08:39 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/104oy8p.jpg
i think that looks ok.
yeah i had a interview a few days ago with another agency , i didnt have that on my resume but i told em about it. then today they emailed me sayin they have an opening for a position and to forward them my latest resume b4 monday. I could probably shoot over a current old one or throw that new info on there.

I actually did move to another city during my unemployement as well.

BustedS13
02-13-2009, 08:42 PM
it looks like you take six months off between jobs, what ARE you doing there? and/or what will you tell the dude

HyperTek
02-13-2009, 08:48 PM
years ago it was due to school

Gnnr
02-13-2009, 08:49 PM
well, there aren't like, millions of middle class dudes living on hoovervilles just yet. i don't know anybody who doesn't have a job (who should).

That's great, but your reality is not everyone's. Just take a look at the unemployment rate.

HyperTek, there's some slight changes I would make to your resume as far as layout. If you want to e-mail it to me send me a PM.

BustedS13
02-13-2009, 08:53 PM
That's great, but your reality is not everyone's. Just take a look at the unemployment rate.

HyperTek, there's some slight changes I would make to your resume as far as layout. If you want to e-mail it to me send me a PM.

okay, 7 in a hundred people don't have a job. up from like five in a hundred. that is not a good excuse.

jskateborders
02-13-2009, 09:47 PM
Nah, I personnly dont put anything under 6months on there.

ZX88
02-13-2009, 09:50 PM
you should only put jobs on your resume that you held for at least 30days.

Phlip
02-13-2009, 10:58 PM
I would only put jobs on mine where I was a W9 employee, meaning you actually filled out some tax papers and shit.
Even still, I would likely leave a job I was only on for a week (perhaps as long as a month) completely off.

Matej
02-13-2009, 11:01 PM
Hand job for 1 week, resume, put put.

killakam\____
02-13-2009, 11:01 PM
its 90 days according to most places

michaelvic240
02-14-2009, 03:06 PM
no
i think you need to be employed for at least 6 months

Bobadrift
02-15-2009, 04:23 AM
i did data entry for that week.. and today i got an email from another agency for this cool position at some computer parts distributor doin customer service/sales etc.. they want me to shoot a resume over asap, im jus curious if i should put that 1 week of work on there since otherwise my last work on my resume was march 08!

I'm a head hunter aka recruiter. I recruit for technical jobs. I would include the agency since you said the last work you had was March 08. And as mentioned be prepared to explain the gap in employment.
Also you might want to mention the company that Apple one sent you to as well as what program you used for data entry. Put a little more detail in there. With entry level jobs the more computer skills you have the better, such as MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint). Also see if they offer skills test such as data entry speed or typing speed. That would help in obtaining some customer service or clerical work, which usually pays more than warehouse work.
And lastly, dress to impress. Don't necessarily wear a tux to an interview, but a nice suit with a tie is fine depending on the type of work. Goodluck on the employment search.

MisawaJason
02-15-2009, 05:06 AM
nope. makes you look like you dont have loyalty to a company. If I'm the company I want to hire a person that stays in one place, not a guy that jumps from job to job, know what I mean?

nismo tuned s14
02-15-2009, 09:06 AM
nope. makes you look like you dont have loyalty to a company. If I'm the company I want to hire a person that stays in one place, not a guy that jumps from job to job, know what I mean?

That's correct. It will hurt you more than it will help.

Don't put it.

soldiaboy
02-15-2009, 03:45 PM
if its related then post it. state that it was a temp job and name the agency.

when i apply for law enforcement i have to list EVERYTHING. even a job i had for one day LOL