PDA

View Full Version : Fender Roller from Stance???

enkei2k
02-09-2009, 08:37 PM
So, I've been looking to roll my fenders for some time now and of course there's the oldschool hammer + heatgun way, eastwood, or PBM. I was just looking into coilovers also for the slammage, and came across a fender roller from Stance? ~339 bones MSRP for it though. Kinda steep, but looks cool. I'd definitely rock this if it wasn't so expensive. It looks cooler than a bright orange fender roller from PBM and a blue retro looking one from eastwood, IMO. Anybody have any experience with this Stance roller?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-1164098593086_2038_2002499

MisawaJason
02-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Or this one
POWERED BY MAX: フェンダーベンディングツール、スムšãƒ¼ã‚µãƒ¼ Wheel fitment parts (http://www.gtfactory.jp/cms/page.php?10)

It doesnt look as cool because you say it's "bright orange"

So what if this one looks cooler. The PBM one is over $100 cheaper

Otto347
02-09-2009, 09:33 PM
lol @ making decisions on an item of this nature based on color :rofl:

murda-c
02-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Yeah i mean who cares what color it is it's gonna spend most of it's life sittting in your garage.

enkei2k
02-09-2009, 09:57 PM
true about the color. but the point about this is the quality. compared to the PBM or Eastwood. a fender roller is a fender roller one might say, but maybe this one offers something else that the other two don't, hence the major difference in price? that's the question.

murda-c
02-09-2009, 10:02 PM
http://zilvia.net/f/chat/211128-product-review-parts-shop-max-fender-roller.html

from that thread the only bad thing the guy found was the soft roller wheel, but if you go ot page 2 dan from PBM says that they can include a hard wheel instead or both.

I dunno what they include standard now.

LongGrain
02-09-2009, 10:12 PM
people have had problems with the pbm roller, i guess the wheel is too soft and instead of rolling your fenders most of the time, your fender will just cut into the wheel.

MisawaJason
02-09-2009, 10:27 PM
people have had problems with the pbm roller, i guess the wheel is too soft and instead of rolling your fenders most of the time, your fender will just cut into the wheel.

Did you not just read what the dude above you posted about getting a harder wheel from PBM?

LongGrain
02-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Did you not just read what the dude above you posted about getting a harder wheel from PBM?

nope, I didnt.

S14DB
02-09-2009, 10:45 PM
With the PBM going for around $250 and the Eastwood at $270. I dunno how this can compete at $310.

Eastwood Fender Roller Tool (http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=6159&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=504&iSubCat=508&iProductID=6159)

!Zar!
02-09-2009, 10:54 PM
I always have and will use my eastwood roller.

Not to mention I like how my roller has a handle.

FaLKoN240
02-09-2009, 11:24 PM
With the PBM going for around $250 and the Eastwood at $270. I dunno how this can compete at $310.

Eastwood Fender Roller Tool (http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=6159&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=504&iSubCat=508&iProductID=6159)

Uh yeah, why would you make a product that is made by someone else, trusted and true, then make one yourself and ask for more when you have no name? :ugh:

Fucking dumb.

If they priced that thing at 200 which you know that's the real price, someone would buy it.

fliprayzin240sx
02-10-2009, 12:00 PM
I got an east wood roller, at this point, im willing to try out the powered by max one cuz im too lazy to adjust my suspension just to use my east wood roller. Cars too fucking low for it. I would have gotten the PBM one if it was available when I was in the market for a roller.

PS: My East Wood Roller broke off the welds a while back...

HyperTek
02-10-2009, 12:21 PM
if you have the money right now, support stance!! support them!! lol

!Zar!
02-10-2009, 02:14 PM
All the companies need the support the way times are.

Otto347
02-10-2009, 02:24 PM
if you have the money right now, support stance!! support them!! lolYeah cause eastwood (or whoever came out with the original) put all that time and money into R&D on that, then these other companies come around, reverse engineer a part then take all the money for work someone else did. Im buying the eastwood.

Matej
02-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Just borrow/rent one. Your car only has four fenders. Buying a roller is a waste of money, unless you plan to rent it out or split the cost with friends.

Fender rollers suck at extensive pulls anyway, I have always had more success with a rusty metal pipe.

By the way, has anyone noticed that on S13's the gas tank fender always sits higher?

I measured and on most S13's the distance from the body line to the fender lip at its highest point is always about 5mm less on the gas tank side.

aznpoopy
02-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Yeah cause eastwood (or whoever came out with the original) put all that time and money into R&D on that, then these other companies come around, reverse engineer a part then take all the money for work someone else did. Im buying the eastwood.

being an IP attorney and all, i got a little curious about that:

Rolling and flanging tool to bend ... - Google Patents (http://www.google.com/patents?id=8WMmAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&dq=1880246#PPA1,M1)

lo and behold, eastwood and all the various knock off brands (cough stance and pbm) are dirty patent infringers, unless they have the requisite license to manufacture and sell these rollers.

Otto347
02-10-2009, 02:59 PM
being an IP attorney and all, i got a little curious about that:

Rolling and flanging tool to bend ... - Google Patents (http://www.google.com/patents?id=8WMmAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&dq=1880246#PPA1,M1)

lo and behold, eastwood and all the various knock off brands (cough stance and pbm) are dirty patent infringers, unless they have the requisite license to manufacture and sell these rollers.Nice work, damn thats pretty interesting. So eastwood is a copy cat too? Or did Thomas Ropke sell the rights to them?

aznpoopy
02-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Nice work, damn thats pretty interesting. So eastwood is a copy cat too? Or did Thomas Ropke sell the rights to them?

no idea. eastwood, being a legitimate company, certainly could have a license to make it from the original patent holder. i guess the same could be said for pbm and stance.

if you felt like potentially ruining someone's day, you could find the patent holder/assignee's contact info or their attorney contact info from USPTO under public pair, and the notify them someone is selling the invention. i'm sure they would know whether the invention has been licensed (and to whom) for manufacture.

edit, funfact. the patent infringement statute is 35 USC 271.

"(a) Except as otherwise provided in this title, whoever without authority makes, uses, offers to sell, or sells any patented invention, within the United States, or imports into the United States any patented invention during the term of the patent therefor, infringes the patent."

you'll note that simply using it counts as patent infringement, in addition to making it, selling it, or importing it. in short, just about everyone on the manufacture to retail chain all the way down to the poor 240sx owner rolling fenders in his garage would potentially be liable for infringement.

in practice only the people with money get sued -> i.e. zilvia retailers, watch your backs on this item. lol.

Otto347
02-10-2009, 03:04 PM
if you felt like potentially ruining someone's day, you could find the patent holder/assignee's contact info or their attorney contact info from USPTO under public pair, and the notify them someone is selling the invention. i'm sure they would know whether the invention has been licensed (and to whom) for manufacture.:bowrofl: talk about pissing in someones cheerios :bowrofl:

drift freaq
02-10-2009, 03:22 PM
One,I am sure Eastwood has either bought the patent or obtained a patent license. They are a huge Automotive body repair parts company. They would not fuck up on one item like this.

Two, having had used both the PBM and the Eastwood I was more impressed by the ability for the Eastwood to be used in more situations. i.e. it having much more angle capability than the PBM. IMO

Three, that Stance does indeed look like a copy of the Eastwood. Now seeing as the Eastwood was the first of the three and how it works I stuck with another Eastwood after my first one. No problems whatsoever and I sold my first one because it had rolled literally hundreds of fenders and was getting long in the tooth. It was still working fine though.

I have never heard of anyone having the welds break on their Eastwood before what Ray posted above, Ray I think you might have bought a Chinese knock off. Yup they are actually out there.

With all that said anyone want to rent a Eastwood? :D I might even sell it to you, used twice thats it.

Otto347
02-10-2009, 03:46 PM
you'll note that simply using it counts as patent infringement, in addition to making it, selling it, or importing it. in short, just about everyone on the manufacture to retail chain all the way down to the poor 240sx owner rolling fenders in his garage would potentially be liable for infringement.
Can you imagine some poor kid in his driveway rolling his fenders then the swat comes in :bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl:
"Youre under arrest for patent infringement"

!Zar!
02-10-2009, 04:38 PM
I agree with Dave.

My eastwood has been to hell and back.

Rolled hundreds of fenders.

No broken welds at all.

Though it's about due for a new wheel.

Meh.

fuck it.

haha.

Shits a tank!

BustedS13
02-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Kinda steep, but looks cool. I'd definitely rock this if it wasn't so expensive. It looks cooler than a bright orange fender roller from PBM and a blue retro looking one from eastwood, IMO.

what are you, a mo?

AWDalbert
02-13-2009, 02:43 AM
go with the parts by max, the bolt design on the stance fender roller will make more of a hassle, because you will need a wrench for every adjustment, and if you are on coilovers, you will need to lower the coilovers just to fit it on the inner lip

pbm roller has 2 positions for cars with no travel and clears big brakes

ask for the blue thicker wheel, roll your fenders, problem solved