PDA

View Full Version : car alarm install??

.jrmyrmx
02-09-2009, 06:35 PM
I just bought a new alarm system from circuit city since everything's stupid cheap and my old one has turrets and goes off randomly and sometimes for days on end. what i didnt realize is car alarms are supposedly really complicated to install.

are they really that hard to install? could someone with little electronic knowledge install one? ive installed speaker systems but thats it.

do i have to take out the dashboard to install it?

can i use some stuff from my old alarm system? like wires from the door locks and such?

i got the one with the manual transmission remote start, is this hard or bad to install?

thanks.

s14kings
02-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Yea, it's pretty hard to install especially when you want to have auto start working properly with the brake cut off and no it's not bad. It doesn't HAVE to be isntalled inside the dash. Most wires should come with the new alarm system so you wouldn't need to reuse any.

And an alarm system is much more complicated than a speaker system.

legacy927
02-09-2009, 07:28 PM
i strongly suggest you to bring it to a professional since you have no knowledge on alarms....there are more wires than speakers and sound system...

HyperTek
02-09-2009, 08:01 PM
i tried to install one in my s13 years ago, but couldnt figure it out.. had a shop install it for me.. and turned out they did a shitty job so i looked at it and cleaned it up the best i could.. there are sensors you can adjust.. sounds like yours might just be too sensitive. Takes time to adjust it just right imo, if its too sensitive, it will go off all the time, if its too restrictive, it may never go off when you want it to.

If you have s13, they usually stick them underneath the steering column. What sucks is you can easily rip it out lol. One time i lost my keys +remote so i had ot use a spare key and rip my alarm out til i ordered a new remote and reprogram it.

When teh shop had installed mine, they didnt hook up all the features of my alarm, like the built in turbo timer, etc.. luckily i knew how to wire that up so i had got it to work. Id go over it anyways since alot of alarm shops will cut corners and do shit work.

ryguy
02-09-2009, 09:00 PM
I have solid (amateur, non-professoinal) knowledge and experience installing car audio systems, and I installed my own alarm/remote entry last fall. It took A LOT of studying, but if you are confident in your wiring abilities it's definitely possible. And yes, if you can figure out what wires are which on your alarm you have, it would help a lot in the wiring of the new alarm.

ANVIL
02-10-2009, 09:56 AM
most of it will be splicing into your car's wiring. so you will need wiring diagrams for your car.

if you can read wiring diagrams you should be able to get through most of it, it shoudlnt be that hard. if not take it to someone who does.

.jrmyrmx
02-10-2009, 11:19 AM
i dont know much about wiring diagrams or technical wiring stuff but ive found a lot of stuff on the internet including a list of all the wire colors and locations specific to my model so it should be doable. are there any tools/supplies that i will need besides a multimeter, soldering gun, electrical tape screwdrivers and a ratchet with the usual metric sockets?

the wiring site says i will need a relay part (whatever that is...) inorder to use the door unlocker, my previous alarm setup already has one istalled right?

thanks for the help by the way...

ANVIL
02-10-2009, 12:28 PM
it might, just check the wiring when you pull it out. it just says relay part? it doesnt say or show what type of relay you need?

.jrmyrmx
02-10-2009, 12:38 PM
the website just says relay part.

the more i research the more i am realizing that the only way a good alarm works well is if it is installed well and stealthy. im betting if i install it myself it wont be the most professional job. its probably better if i just bite the bullet and pay the $250-300 to get it installed right.

does that seem like a high price? when Cartoys told me a basic install and removal of my old system would be $250 i almost cried. and that doesnt include the remote start or anything else. I cant find anywhere else in denver that would do a good job, Bestbuy cant even manage answering my phone calls and i dont know if theyd do a good install.

SHIFT_*grind*
02-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Tourette's.

.jrmyrmx
02-10-2009, 12:51 PM
haha yeah i knew that turrets looked wrong.

ryguy
02-10-2009, 03:23 PM
the wiring site says i will need a relay part (whatever that is...) inorder to use the door unlocker, my previous alarm setup already has one istalled right?

thanks for the help by the way...

If you already have remote entry, you already have relays installed. That was the most difficult part for me installing mine, was relays. See if you can find the wiring diagram for the alarm brain you have now to see if you can just cut the old one out and put the new one right in its place.