PDA

View Full Version : Nissan vs Subaru

moose
03-01-2003, 08:49 PM
I know I've already brought this up before but I'm really interested in this certain car and... well here.

A 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS. Now I know it's not rwd, but its 4wd. Even better. It comes with more hp and tq, but is only 100 lbs heavier. Are Subaru's mechanically sound?

Do they have a good track record? If you've owned one, were you impressed at all with it's performance? I live in Canada so this might be my next smart choice.

I know this looks like I'm asking you guys alot, but you seem to know so much and you are always helpful.

I've heard they don't have good top end, is this true?

Thanks,

Moose

goodjuan
03-01-2003, 09:43 PM
gc8 ownZ

AmherstSR20DET
03-01-2003, 09:46 PM
Questions are never a bad thing... well, almost never. In this case, there's nothing wrong with what you're asking in my opinion.

You've actually hit on a topic that goes through my mind constantly. Nissan and Subaru are probably two of my favorite automobile makers. Aside from Nissan's few bad years in the late 90's they've always had good designs and well built cars. But I've always liked Subaru as well. "The beauty of all wheel drive." sums them up right there.

Sorry, I'm going a little more in depth than I should. I'll try to hurry it up.

Subaru: The AWD system is great, I live in Buffalo, NY (enough said) and with a 95 Legacy, I have NO problems with the weather here. My car has NEVER been stuck and I've done some wild stuff with it. Its got over 85k miles on it and still runs like a swiss watch (it ticks like one too because my mom never took care of the poor car). But its made that sound since I got it 2 and a half years ago and its still running strong. So for reliability Subaru is superb.

Having driven a 2.5RS only once, I can't tell you too much about that car. My limited experience with it was very good. It felt like it had good pick up and with the AWD system, you can launch better than most cars can with factory parts. I never had a chance to test the top end though. If you are looking at picking one up and playing around with it, I know that there is PLENTY out there for the car, especially the Impreza's.

I still love Nissan and would take my 91 240 over a Subaru anyday, but for an everyday/winter car, I'd take a Subaru over anything else.

My opinion.

KiDyNomiTe
03-01-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by moose
I know I've already brought this up before but I'm really interested in this certain car and... well here.

A 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS. Now I know it's not rwd, but its 4wd. Even better. It comes with more hp and tq, but is only 100 lbs heavier. Are Subaru's mechanically sound?

Do they have a good track record? If you've owned one, were you impressed at all with it's performance? I live in Canada so this might be my next smart choice.

I know this looks like I'm asking you guys alot, but you seem to know so much and you are always helpful.

I've heard they don't have good top end, is this true?

Thanks,

Moose

Speaking for myself: Asking this type of question is better than asking about random cars.

Now on to the subject. The GC8 is one lovely car IMO, I love the look better than the current WRX, the cars are very nice. I am not too sure on the HP numbers but it should be mid to upper 100s IIRC. I wanted to get one of these cars for quite some time, but they are hard to find and a little to high priced.

I think the last year they made them was in 2001, it is extremely hard to find these cars, at least right now in my area. My friend was looking for one, but could never find one, but I remember 2 years ago they were easier to find (since they were at the dealers), but if your lucky you could find a fairly new one with low mileage, not that it matter a whole bunch, Subaru doesn't have any reliability problems. Thier cars are great, and thier AWD system is one of the best.

If the price is right I would get one of the newer ones. Although that all depends on what you plan on doing to the car. I think a 240 would be easier to find parts for though, although I have seen some turbo kits for the car. You could probably even get the engine from a 22B or any WRX for that matter and swap it in, but thats your choice.

Check out www.i-club.com if that doesn't work try www.iclub.com

Here is some eye candy I found, this car was for sale in texas i thinkm but not too sure if it still is. I have more 2.5RS pics if you want em, juss PM me.

DRO916
03-02-2003, 12:26 AM
post more pix of the 2.5RS...!! please...

goodjuan
03-02-2003, 01:37 AM
http://www.imagestation.jp/raw/005/64/1b/641bd68cff99-0.jpg

You gotto decide what's more youre style. The more purist sports car/simple. Or the offbeat sports car/more issues to deal with. It's a tough call. One that was had faught myself....hmmm used 93 impreza L sedan....version 3-4 front clip...... = Fast azz sedan with cheapO insurance!!!
NO ERN!! You're sticking with the 240! I guess you can't have everything. If i could i'd own both. but in the end the nissan is cheaper and a little easier on you.

azian21485
03-02-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by AmherstSR20DET
Questions are never a bad thing... well, almost never. In this case, there's nothing wrong with what you're asking in my opinion.

You've actually hit on a topic that goes through my mind constantly. Nissan and Subaru are probably two of my favorite automobile makers. Aside from Nissan's few bad years in the late 90's they've always had good designs and well built cars. But I've always liked Subaru as well. "The beauty of all wheel drive." sums them up right there.

Sorry, I'm going a little more in depth than I should. I'll try to hurry it up.

Subaru: The AWD system is great, I live in Buffalo, NY (enough said) and with a 95 Legacy, I have NO problems with the weather here. My car has NEVER been stuck and I've done some wild stuff with it. Its got over 85k miles on it and still runs like a swiss watch (it ticks like one too because my mom never took care of the poor car). But its made that sound since I got it 2 and a half years ago and its still running strong. So for reliability Subaru is superb.

Having driven a 2.5RS only once, I can't tell you too much about that car. My limited experience with it was very good. It felt like it had good pick up and with the AWD system, you can launch better than most cars can with factory parts. I never had a chance to test the top end though. If you are looking at picking one up and playing around with it, I know that there is PLENTY out there for the car, especially the Impreza's.

I still love Nissan and would take my 91 240 over a Subaru anyday, but for an everyday/winter car, I'd take a Subaru over anything else.

My opinion.

how did ur 95 legacy handle compared to the 240? i noe the 240 should handle better stock for stock, but do u think the legacy would be capable of being able to take high speed corners with a good suspension setup??

btw..i would think subarus wouldn't have good top ends since they are awd...the power has to be destributed to all 4 wheels instead of just two

moose
03-02-2003, 11:23 AM
This is what I'm looking at doing to the car if I get it.

DRO916
03-02-2003, 12:51 PM
im not too familiar with subarus, but do you guys know if theyre used it to drift...? i dont think i've seen it in the Option Video's I've seen either...only in the rally shows on SpeedVision

KiDyNomiTe
03-02-2003, 01:09 PM
They aren't really popular drift cars, well no AWD cars are, but you could still drift em with some LSD.
Here is some more pics.

moose
03-02-2003, 03:01 PM
I like this one:

WaKeMaN
03-02-2003, 03:28 PM
This is really eery...

I thought I was the only one...

When my Z got totalled I didn't really have any cash reserves saved up and the two cars that I knew I wanted above all else was a 97+ 240SX or a 98+ 2.5RS.

Ultimately my choice was made by the money I had. I couldn't find a 2.5RS worth buying for less than $15,000. But I did find my cherry 97 240sx for 9900.

As far as driving... someone just mentioned the fact that the RS can launch better. This is honestly a night and day difference. I couldn't go too crazy with the salesmen in the car.

The gear box in both cars is very strong so they can handle a large amount of tuning... (Although SCC did tear their 2.5RS project gearbox apart around ~350HP) and also there are turbo kits for both cars...

So it boils down to two cars, although seemingly different in many respect, that are very similar (Large displacement 4 cylinder, hp same within 10hp, similar insurance rates, large aftermarket support)

My wallet made the decision, and I haven't regretted it since.

moose
03-02-2003, 03:34 PM
You can drift. I have a few videos of 98 2.5 rs's drifting. I don't know how to post them though.

moose
03-02-2003, 03:40 PM
The ultimate Impreza:

(I sure would like to know how to upload vids though. :))

http://ebay0.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_b72b33a9d7d373490dd2429ce1b6a5ea/i-11.JPG

For more, go here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2405658498&category=31868

SilviaDriver
03-02-2003, 03:41 PM
yes, if a GTR can drift, a GC will too. but who drifts with a scooby? its a rally car put it where it belongs, in the dirty.

SimpleS14
03-02-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by SilviaDriver
yes, if a GTR can drift, a GC will too. but who drifts with a scooby? its a rally car put it where it belongs, in the dirty.

Rally cars drift....you never seen Rally of Sweden?

I would sell my car for a 2000 WRX...they can be found at a resonable price. But what do I know.....:confused:

AmherstSR20DET
03-02-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by azian21485
how did ur 95 legacy handle compared to the 240? i noe the 240 should handle better stock for stock, but do u think the legacy would be capable of being able to take high speed corners with a good suspension setup??

btw..i would think subarus wouldn't have good top ends since they are awd...the power has to be destributed to all 4 wheels instead of just two

I would say the 240 handles about the same as my Legacy, but the 240 I have is rougly 4 years older as well. Any car would handle better with a good suspension setup. As for high speed corners, I'm not really sure. Having driven the Subaru longer, I tend to dive into corners more so than normal, and with the 240, I can't do that, yet. But to give you a simple answer to your first question, YES - you would be able to take high speed corners with the proper suspension setup.

As for the high end, a RWD car will usually have a better top end. You're right in your assumption that the AWD setup causes more power loss between the crank and the wheels. But the thing with the Subaru setup is that its not full-time 4WD. Its a variable setup which I believe leans towards a front-wheel drive setup (I could be wrong). What I mean is that under normal conditions, the front wheels receive a majority of the power. The rear wheels receive more power when the car begins to understeer.

I could be wrong in this, I haven't really done too much in-depth research on this (still need to get around to it). But I hope I helped, and if someone feels the need to flame me, give me ample warning, please?

moose
03-03-2003, 09:32 AM
What's with the Impreza 2.5 RS's top end. It's registered for only 110 mp/h. What's that all about. I mean it should go faster than that shouldn't it? Am I wrong?

KiDyNomiTe
03-03-2003, 11:21 AM
Not a big diff from the 240s 112, its prolly a speed limiter.

moose
03-03-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by KiDyNomiTe
Not a big diff from the 240s 112, its prolly a speed limiter.

Do you think a 240 would be faster than a Impreza off the line?

AKADriver
03-03-2003, 01:04 PM
NOTHING scoots out of the hole like an AWD car.

The Impreza 2.5RS is also geared very aggressively, shades of the rally heritage again...

They don't have "bad top end" unless you'd say a 240SX also has "bad top end". The GC8 2.5RS is very comparable with a 240SX overall. The extra grip of the RS makes it the faster car for street-tire shenanegans (the 2.5RS is unstoppable in STS autocross). Outside of that it's preference.

By the way all '99+ 2.5RS's have center and rear VLSD's, stock. A clutch type rear LSD would be the drifter's choice but the VLSD is great on the street/autocross/track.

azian21485
03-03-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by AmherstSR20DET
I would say the 240 handles about the same as my Legacy, but the 240 I have is rougly 4 years older as well. Any car would handle better with a good suspension setup. As for high speed corners, I'm not really sure. Having driven the Subaru longer, I tend to dive into corners more so than normal, and with the 240, I can't do that, yet. But to give you a simple answer to your first question, YES - you would be able to take high speed corners with the proper suspension setup.

As for the high end, a RWD car will usually have a better top end. You're right in your assumption that the AWD setup causes more power loss between the crank and the wheels. But the thing with the Subaru setup is that its not full-time 4WD. Its a variable setup which I believe leans towards a front-wheel drive setup (I could be wrong). What I mean is that under normal conditions, the front wheels receive a majority of the power. The rear wheels receive more power when the car begins to understeer.

I could be wrong in this, I haven't really done too much in-depth research on this (still need to get around to it). But I hope I helped, and if someone feels the need to flame me, give me ample warning, please?

cool..thanx for ur input..yea i heard the subarus and dsm put down more power to the front than the back..but never heard about the power transfering the the rear (i thought it always stayed constant?)...

moose
03-03-2003, 01:57 PM
what would be a better choice then, the 2.5 RS, or the 240sx?

azian21485
03-03-2003, 03:27 PM
its really ur choice in wat u like...all cars hav their ups and downs

moose
03-03-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by azian21485
its really ur choice in wat u like...all cars hav their ups and downs

True true, but what'a ya'll think. With the heavy snowfall it might be a good idea.

240Dori
03-03-2003, 10:35 PM
circles vs. squares....two way diffrent platforms...rwd and 4wd sounds like a better thread but even then its all preferance...

moose
03-04-2003, 06:46 AM
Yeah I'm sure. It's a tough choice to make really, I've heard that the '98 2.5 RS's have a knock problem because of their short skirts. I mean cosmetically they look amazing, it all comes down to the guts. Other than that the engine is perfect. The boys at i-Club told me to go with a '99-00 2.5 RS because they have the second stage of that engine. I dunno, it sure would be great to own one, but yeah.

AKADriver
03-04-2003, 08:00 AM
'00-'01 are the years to go for.

'98 has the Phase I engine like they said. Also, no rear LSD and a less aggressive front end.
'99 has the Phase II, but a weak MAF that tends to fail if you get an aftermarket intake.
'00-'01 have an updated MAF.

'98 is the only year with the spiffy gold wheels though :p

goodjuan
03-04-2003, 12:34 PM
you're answer... pulsar gti-r!

SR20DET and AWD....*sigh*...if only though...if only

Stee Flo
03-07-2003, 07:47 AM
I love both the 240sx and the impreza 2.5 rs. They both handle nicely in stock form, better with upgrades. The GC8 is a sweet looking car i must say. My brother and a friend of mine have 2.5s; we are all members of i-club. The subaru feels more secure on wet or snowy roads due to the all wheel drive. In the snow, those things are sooo fun. You can drift like crazy in fresh powder. After playing around in the suby in a snowy parking lot a few weeks ago it seems to me that it is more rwd biased, which is a good thing imo! When you put a nice catback exhaust on, its got that great boxer sound. If i had a choice on another car it would be a 2.5 or WRX. I wish i could lay my hands on a 22B wrx sti!:eek:

240 2NR
03-08-2003, 04:54 PM
I took an '00 2.5RS out with a dealer in a snowy parking lot and acceleration off the line is unbelivable for a car on all season tires. It's probably a little faster than a stock 240 in the dry and a lot faster in bad weather.

I seriously would have bought one, but when the WRX came out and the body style was dropped I was stuck looking used and I swear the only low milage ones I could find at the time were OVER sticker. The ones that were affordable had 20 or 30k miles and it didn't seem worth $16k+ for a nearly new used car. The 240 is way cheaper unless you're looking at S14a's (in which case int's only a little cheaper) so really the issue is more buget driven. I liked it, but not for an expensive used car when for that money I could have something I liked more (like an FD, M3, S14a, heavily modded S13 with money to spare, etc).

TheTimanator
03-09-2003, 07:59 PM
Heres what you should do and why (since you want our opinion)

1.) Get the 2.5RS AWD is great for snow and such, and RWD are much harder to control (so I hear) in the snow. Plus, they are great for rallying!!!

2.) Check SCC's articles on the RS. They built a turbo'd project car, and they went over every little problem they ran into. (if your worried about that stuff)

3.) Buy the Scooby b/c you ask the most retarded questions here and I'm hoping you'll go to a Subaru forum then! :D

4.) Because you stole my avatar!!! Not cool. Do you even know who Strong Bad is?

on a personal note, get a crappy car, since your still in high school, and just save up for a few years!

Cliff Notes: Get the Scooby. You stole my avatar punk!!! :mad:

moose
03-11-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by TheTimanator
Because you stole my avatar!!! Not cool. Do you even know who Strong Bad is?

Dear Mr. TheTimanator,

Do I know who strong bad is. Well punk yes I do. You can't steal an avatar. You are the first person who I've seen with this avatar. So you know what, go get another one for yourself man.

With alot of crap,

Moose

Phlip
03-11-2003, 02:41 PM
It IS rather ghey to take an avatar if someone else already has it. I use a personal photo (decidedly BAD one at that) to avoid such nonsense personally...

TheTimanator
03-11-2003, 03:32 PM
Dear Mr. TheTimanator,

Do I know who strong bad is. Well punk yes I do. You can't steal an avatar. You are the first person who I've seen with this avatar. So you know what, go get another one for yourself man.

With alot of crap,

Moose

Fine then!! jk ;)

I've had the avatar for a while. But I haven't been posting much since I started at Full Sail and when I do its mainly in the For Sale forum trying to buy stuff.....Well, I'm not gonna sit here and argue with a fellow StrongBad fan....even if you ask retarded questions
:D

ruf
03-11-2003, 03:57 PM
My suggestions:

1) Get the Subaru.
2) Spend a lot more on aftermarket parts in an attempt to make it faster.
3) Get the hell off this board.

Or skip directly to 3.

moose
03-11-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by ruf
My suggestions:

1) Get the Subaru.
2) Spend a lot more on aftermarket parts in an attempt to make it faster.
3) Get the hell off this board.

Or skip directly to 3.

One word for you -- ass

Phlip
03-11-2003, 07:43 PM
Hey everyone, I have an Idea, post a pic of yourself with your car, here I'll start...
http://s14phlip.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/frontseat.jpg

TheTimanator
03-11-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by PHLIP
Hey everyone, I have an Idea, post a pic of yourself with your car, here I'll start...
http://s14phlip.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/frontseat.jpg

LOL....that was random. But your pic didn't work. I think I'm gonna take a pic of me and/or my g/f in my engine bay before I get the SR in :D

Phlip
03-11-2003, 10:14 PM
LOL....that was random. But your pic didn't work. I think I'm gonna take a pic of me and/or my g/f in my engine bay before I get the SR in :D
Random? Yeah... I wanted our pal there to show us a pic of HIS 240, since he saw fit to come on the forum and jerk someone's avatar... Mine worked when I firts made the post, but stopped sometime soon after that, so I assume tripod must want me to PAY for my web page or some shit like that... You can copy the addy onto the address bar or run by the page, the pics don't reflect my new suspension, so it looks like a 4x4 on there right now... I may make that change this weekend, seeing as how I've been without computer at home for a while now (this is my first zilvia post at home since november). When are you getting the SR?

TheTimanator
03-11-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by PHLIP
Random? Yeah... I wanted our pal there to show us a pic of HIS 240, since he saw fit to come on the forum and jerk someone's avatar... Mine worked when I firts made the post, but stopped sometime soon after that, so I assume tripod must want me to PAY for my web page or some shit like that... You can copy the addy onto the address bar or run by the page, the pics don't reflect my new suspension, so it looks like a 4x4 on there right now... I may make that change this weekend, seeing as how I've been without computer at home for a while now (this is my first zilvia post at home since november). When are you getting the SR?

Gotcha. His profile says he's got an S14 but he talks like he doesn't. About my SR.....I actually have it sitting at my uncles shop and I have,as of yesterday, recieved the rest of my parts that I needed for the swap!! But, I'm going to school 8 hours a day, and working 3hrs a day on top of that....Tuesday- Saturday....Soooo, I might have to wait a month or 2 before I have the time to work on it. :(

See....wouldn't it be funny to have someone stand in there? :eek:
*WARNING* pic is large

Phlip
03-12-2003, 09:52 AM
Gotcha. His profile says he's got an S14 but he talks like he doesn't. About my SR.....I actually have it sitting at my uncles shop and I have,as of yesterday, recieved the rest of my parts that I needed for the swap!! But, I'm going to school 8 hours a day, and working 3hrs a day on top of that....Tuesday- Saturday....Soooo, I might have to wait a month or 2 before I have the time to work on it. :(

See....wouldn't it be funny to have someone stand in there? :eek:
*WARNING* pic is large
Exactly, times sometimes make us believe will have that car before it becomes and issue, but then when it doesn't... I'm being mean, lemme stop. Re: the SR... Cool beans, how long do you think the swap will take you. And yes it would be funny to see people in the engine bay, but there is a guy in atlanta that can get 2 people in his sngine bay, and the engine is still there.

ruf
03-12-2003, 12:22 PM
One word for you -- ass Just like you to use 5 words when trying to only use 1.

I'm taking the pix so none with my mug in it.
Here's a pic of the HMS Vengeance on her first stripdown:
http://www.biznetworking.com/ruf/images/240sx/DSC01349.JPG

HMS Vengeance starboard:
http://www.biznetworking.com/ruf/images/240sx/DSC01394.JPG

Only pic I have with part of me in it (fingers). Blitz Active clutch/flywheel:
http://www.biznetworking.com/ruf/images/240sx/DSC01393.JPG

Toys:
http://www.biznetworking.com/ruf/images/240sx/DSC01409.JPG

More toys:
http://www.biznetworking.com/ruf/images/240sx/DSC01410.JPG

So much work, so little time...:
http://www.biznetworking.com/ruf/images/240sx/DSC01454.JPG

Dousan_PG
03-12-2003, 12:49 PM
hurry up lazy guy. haha
let me see more pics of the SS. so nice so nice!

TheTimanator
03-12-2003, 12:52 PM
WOW....I wish I had all those parts just lying around....:D I a few questions. What makes it an active clutch? And is that an AEM EMS i see? That last pic makes me want to go and clean my engine and engien bay up and make it look purty.

As for my swap, I'm gonna do it in steps. So, it will probably take me 2-3 days worth of work spread over a month or so. This has been a works in progress for over a year now!!!!

TIP: Buy the entire clip from a reputible source....don't do what I did.

Phlip
03-12-2003, 01:04 PM
Re: Toys...
Let's all say it together now: DAYUMM!!!!
I did, however, find one thing to be a little funny... Did anyone notice "short stroke shifter?" Maybe it was just me, what is that, C's? I have a B&M in mine, "short throw sport shifter" as they call it. I call it a step below masturbation.

ruf
03-12-2003, 01:33 PM
Not really active. Guess it's just a marketing name. Single plate should be good for >400lbft. AEM EMS for Honda Accord. Custom wiring/programming to get it to work with my SR.

The shifter is a C's. Dousan, is that what you meant by SS? That thing is ****ing me off. I think I got the wrong top cover. I'm about to machine a new internal spacer.

Oh BTW, "HMS" = "Hillbilly Motor Sports". We just thought it was hilarious that the seats were sitting outside of the car. We were lounging on them thinking, "We need a styrofoam cooler of beer and the car up on cinderblocks and then we'd REALLY be from Texas... :p

No one noticed the OEM kouki side skirts? :D Oh crap. NOW I know what you mean by SS... I'll get some more pics later.

Dousan_PG
03-12-2003, 04:52 PM
sweet
oem kouki skirts are badass. 3 piece mmmm so nice. and tough :) you can hit cones and go off track and still be ok. i need some!

ruf
03-12-2003, 04:55 PM
2-piece. Still haven't figured out how they go on. Lazy.