PDA

View Full Version : When a brake pad job goes bad... help please!

sirfallsalot243
02-03-2009, 02:18 PM
This part is frozen on my 240's rear brakes. I dont know what its called, or where I can get a new one (or if I can fix this one). Not trying to buy a whole new caliper if i can avoid it. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! I'm doing these brakes outside, and its snowing!:faint:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/IneedabettrBike/noname.jpg

soreballz
02-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Not sure exactly what you mean by "frozen", but... Pull the pins out and grease them. It'll help if you mean what I think you mean.

sirfallsalot243
02-03-2009, 02:43 PM
The pins are frozen in there. I can barely spin them with a box end wrench, much less remove them. Not sure how I should go about trying to free them... I have an acetylene torch and a Mapp torch... not sure if heating them would be the way to go though.

noname7198
02-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Try putting the bracket in a vice and spray some PB blaster around the pins. Use vice grips on the pins to twist/pull them out. Grease them up and put them back in.

racepar1
02-03-2009, 02:49 PM
Don't heat it. Use a pair of vise grips and a hammer to knock it out. Make sure you rotate it when it moves just to keep it from freezing even worse. There is a rubber grommet on one of the pins and if you heat it it may melt the rubber. Use some WD40 to lube it when you are removing it too. After it is out use a wire bottle brush and some wd40 to scrub inside the bore. Then use a wire brush and some more WD40 to scrub the pin. Clean it all up with some brake cleaner and use white lithium grease to lube it all back up. If one is frozen you should do this to the pins on at least the rear calipers and check the fronts too. You CANNOT buy the caliper bracket separate from the caliper.

sirfallsalot243
02-03-2009, 02:49 PM
Try putting the bracket in a vice and spray some PB blaster around the pins. Use vice grips on the pins to twist/pull them out. Grease them up and put them back in.

Will do, thanks! I tried doing this with WD40, but Ive been thinking PB would do the trick. I cant seem to find mine... might just have to go buy some.

Phlip
02-03-2009, 02:54 PM
PB would work better than WD...
I had the same problem in May on my fronts.. I wound up taking it to a machine shop and giving him 10 bucks to get it out, and replaced all the pins.

sirfallsalot243
02-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Got em out! Vise grip and PB method did the trick! Thanks a lot guys!!

Ceepo
02-04-2009, 01:52 AM
I was gonna say some penitrating oil would do the job lol, but you got em out :)

0wn3r
02-04-2009, 02:00 AM
nice sig ceepo :)

MisawaJason
02-04-2009, 03:04 AM
I had the same problem with one of my rears. The pin wouldn't come out even when placed in a vice. I just tried to source another one on the auctions. best of luck