PDA

View Full Version : Power Locks on manual door

repda916
01-30-2009, 05:42 PM
trying to figure out the process of how to put power locks on a manual door. or i can get all the stuff needed to put power windows and locks but can i use MY door? (the pwr door its will be coming off is all beat up)

I just dont know how or where to wire it up to......help?

GSXRJJordan
01-30-2009, 05:58 PM
Haha this is covered A LOT on stereo/alarm install threads.

Problem with the stock stuff is it's master/slave, not a "true" power setup (the drivers side door has no power mechanism, just the passenger side).

You'll need a "power door lock" actuator for the driver's side, might as well just get a pair and install on your existing lock setup.
Then you'll need an alarm to actuate them, and a couple relays, cause that's what's cool. Total, <$100 if you do it right.

www.the12volt.com is your friend here.

repda916
01-30-2009, 08:23 PM
haha thats why i want it for an alarm. good link to.
so if i get this "power door lock" actuator it will hook right up to my stock door?
i dont need the pwr door lock door panal?

DaPCWiz
01-30-2009, 08:29 PM
i did that on my s14...

but my old s14 (totaled and bought back from insurance) had power locks and the new one didn't.

So I pretty much ripped all the power lock parts out of the donor car and sat there and tested wires with a battery till the system worked. Then I installed it in the new car.

http://www.dapcwiz.com/misc/locks.avi

video I took when I got it working. It kinda shows you all the parts you need to do the swap if you wanna do oem....

also I didn't put a power lock switch on the passenger side, lol. Didn't want to give my passenger the power ;)

I also ended up using the power door lock wiring harness from the power door on the driver's side, and running my own wires on the passenger side.

GSXRJJordan
01-30-2009, 08:32 PM
haha thats why i want it for an alarm. good link to.
so if i get this "power door lock" actuator it will hook right up to my stock door?
i dont need the pwr door lock door panal?

Drivers side doors are the same, pass side doors are close. They'll both need to be installed (you attach the 'rod' to the door lock actuator, then bolt the actuator inline somewhere). Then you wire it in, and try it out.

Don't bother converting to power door locks, because like I said, you'll have to do an actuator on the driver's side door anyway.

NOTE: this does not increase the security of your vehicle. If you want to increase security, you need to defend against the "jimmy", which means deadbolts. ProjectRDM and I have talked about this a couple times, means using "real" linear actuators instead of door lock actuators as deadbolts. Fabrication, relays, and about $200 more cost, but when the door is locked, IT WILL NOT OPEN. This will make a burglar move on, hopefully.

repda916
01-30-2009, 09:35 PM
Drivers side doors are the same, pass side doors are close. They'll both need to be installed (you attach the 'rod' to the door lock actuator, then bolt the actuator inline somewhere). Then you wire it in, and try it out.

Don't bother converting to power door locks, because like I said, you'll have to do an actuator on the driver's side door anyway.

NOTE: this does not increase the security of your vehicle. If you want to increase security, you need to defend against the "jimmy", which means deadbolts. ProjectRDM and I have talked about this a couple times, means using "real" linear actuators instead of door lock actuators as deadbolts. Fabrication, relays, and about $200 more cost, but when the door is locked, IT WILL NOT OPEN. This will make a burglar move on, hopefully.
in that case, would you say it would be pointless to put an alarm on my car even though nothing is power?
i want to get one wher eit sends you a text so i know when it goes off.

GSXRJJordan
01-30-2009, 09:38 PM
Would that be a C3 Autopage? I have a thread inquiring about them... http://zilvia.net/f/off-topic-chat/234835-c3-autopage-alarm-tracking-better-than-blojack.html

It's not pointless, because a blaring siren is a deterrant. But it doesn't really increase security, because they can still disable it/steal the car very easily.

Have a good shop do the install, and that'll help - also, install a kill switch. Just know that 240sx doors are extremely easy to unlock/open, and once a thief is in, your car's gone if they want it.

ryguy
01-31-2009, 12:01 AM
www.the12volt.com (http://www.the12volt.com) is your friend here.

Specifically this page.
Car Security and Convenience, Power Door Locks, Multiple Wire Systems, Add Auto Lock/Unlock (http://www.the12volt.com/doorlocks/page3.asp#5w)
And the relay setup you are looking for is the "actuators/reverse polarity" setup. You will only have to wire an actuator from the alarm to the driver's side door, since the car already has central locks. Be prepared though, I had basic wiring knowledge and it took me a while to figure the whole wiring aspect out. It's almost worth it just to take it in and have it installed.

windshieldwiper
01-31-2009, 12:03 AM
I just used an actuator on my driver door. No relays. Actuators only cost 10 bucks on ebay. Just two wires. My passenger door is vacuum controlled. dont remember how that works. unlocking/locking passenger door locks driver door but locking/unlocking driver door does nothing to passenger door. I guess I didnt do it right.

If you want to put actuators on more than one door, it might be a bit harder.

I also put a couple relays in so windows go up when you lock door.

ryguy
01-31-2009, 12:08 AM
I just used an actuator on my driver door. No relays. Actuators only cost 10 bucks on ebay. Just two wires. My passenger door is vacuum controlled. dont remember how that works. unlocking/locking passenger door locks driver door but locking/unlocking driver door does nothing to passenger door. I guess I didnt do it right.

Some alarm brains have built in relays, but if yours doesn't you really shouldnt be putting the power to the actuator through the brain. Better to err on the safe side, a relay is only a dollar or two. And if you have an S-chassis, it's not vacuum locks, its central locking, meaning there is an electrical switch on the locking mechanism on the driver's side door that activates an electrical actuator on the passenger side door.

By the way, I had an S13 that was the same way, with the passenger side door acting as the master door. I assumed whoever did the alarm install on that car just really messed it up.

windshieldwiper
01-31-2009, 12:37 AM
Some alarm brains have built in relays, but if yours doesn't you really shouldnt be putting the power to the actuator through the brain. Better to err on the safe side, a relay is only a dollar or two. And if you have an S-chassis, it's not vacuum locks, its central locking, meaning there is an electrical switch on the locking mechanism on the driver's side door that activates an electrical actuator on the passenger side door.

By the way, I had an S13 that was the same way, with the passenger side door acting as the master door. I assumed whoever did the alarm install on that car just really messed it up.

My new alarm definitely has built in relays for door locks.

I never touched the existing locking system when I installed the actuator in driver door so I guess i couldnt have screwed anything up.
checked the 91 fsm and both doors have factory installed lock motors. People said the driver door didnt have motor and was vacuum controlled. i need to stop trusting the net.

windshieldwiper
01-31-2009, 01:28 AM
Car Security and Convenience, Power Door Locks, Multiple Wire Systems, Add Auto Lock/Unlock (http://www.the12volt.com/doorlocks/page3.asp#vac)

this is a good site for getting practical info on installing door locks