PDA

View Full Version : KA24E ---- High Comp Pistons

fogleroller
02-26-2003, 10:58 AM
I did a search and I could not find what I am looking for.
(Please don't say, just get an SR20 Swap or DOHC Swap)

I will be getting my hands on a spare SOHC long block to do a rebuild. Besides buying new pistons from JE or whatever, are there any pistons from other engines that can be used to raise compression?

If not, can I just get the head milled, and by how much?

This isn't going to be a high HP car. Just want to know what little things I can do while I have the engine apart, that will give me a little more power. The only future mods will be header, intake, high flow cat and exhaust.

Thanks in advance.

DamnedButDetermined
02-26-2003, 09:52 PM
instead of getting another ka24e get a 1991 ka24de...That way you can take the sohc pistons and swap them into the dohc to raise to compression to 11:1. Also with the 91 you will have the more aggressive cams. This might not be a smart idea, but getting a thinner head gasket will also up the compression.

Dream240
02-27-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by DamnedButDetermined
instead of getting another ka24e get a 1991 ka24de...That way you can take the sohc pistons and swap them into the dohc to raise to compression to 11:1. Also with the 91 you will have the more aggressive cams. This might not be a smart idea, but getting a thinner head gasket will also up the compression.

He said don't tell him to swap! LISTEN to the man! If your sticking with the KA24E, that's still a good engine with a sturdy block. If you rebuild with Je pistons get rods, polish the block and head, new springs, lifters, and see if you can find a high perfomance cam for it. I'm not much on the Ka24E so I'm not sure if they sell a cam for it. Check with Nismo, I know it's a long shot though. That engine's pretty old. I don't think aftermarket manufacturers look at it as a performance piece, hence the small list of internals you're able to find for it. Good luck though!

sph33r
02-27-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Dream240
see if you can find a high perfomance cam for it. I'm not much on the Ka24E so I'm not sure if they sell a cam for it. Check with Nismo, I know it's a long shot though. That engine's pretty old. I don't think aftermarket manufacturers look at it as a performance piece, hence the small list of internals you're able to find for it. Good luck though!

There's actually a decent list of cams available for the SOHC. PDM has them from Colt Cams.. and Courtesy has the Nissan Racing cams in both street and race flavors for sale. There's actually a decent amount of stuff for this engine surprisingly :D

goodjuan
02-27-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Dream240
He said don't tell him to swap! LISTEN to the man! If your sticking with the KA24E, that's still a good engine with a sturdy block. If you rebuild with Je pistons get rods, polish the block and head, new springs, lifters, and see if you can find a high perfomance cam for it. I'm not much on the Ka24E so I'm not sure if they sell a cam for it. Check with Nismo, I know it's a long shot though. That engine's pretty old. I don't think aftermarket manufacturers look at it as a performance piece, hence the small list of internals you're able to find for it. Good luck though!

I thiink he meant to get the DOHC engine to swap the PISTONS, not the whole engine. But I could be wrong. Anyway, this is off subject. I say go with PDM. I'm too broke to buy even speed bleeder valves from them, but I hear they're awesome anyway.:D

fogleroller
02-27-2003, 09:47 AM
yeah, PDM for a cam.

I'll be talking to the machine shop about milling the head.
I'll try to find a thinner head gasket.

Just need to know what pistons to get, I wonder if the KA24E's in the Nissan Pickups had different compression than the 240's

Maybe someone makes some low priced domed pistons. I just need to know what is a save compression rate to go with

Thanks for the advice peoples,keep them coming!!!!

-john

Zemus
02-27-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by fogleroller
yeah, PDM for a cam.

I'll be talking to the machine shop about milling the head.
I'll try to find a thinner head gasket.

Just need to know what pistons to get, I wonder if the KA24E's in the Nissan Pickups had different compression than the 240's

Maybe someone makes some low priced domed pistons. I just need to know what is a save compression rate to go with

Thanks for the advice peoples,keep them coming!!!!

-john

I know the truck KA24E has 8.6:1 compression, their was this one website that is awesome at modding the KA, they know alot, search for "Moding the KA" and you will find it, i started the post

fogleroller
02-27-2003, 10:36 AM
thanks Oni!

DamnedButDetermined
02-27-2003, 10:42 AM
sorry id idn't read close enough, i didn't see the DOHC part. I was just metioning it b/c it will be cheaper to get high compression with sohc pistons in a dohc engine. That will cost about $200 for the entire engine if it is in need of a rebuild (which he is doing anyways) rather than $300-500 for aftermarket pistons. Do what you will, and have fun!

-DbD-