PDA

View Full Version : Mitsubishi

moose
02-23-2003, 03:03 PM
Has anyone ever driven/owned a 3000GT/Stealth? Do they suck the gas really bad? I was looking into a '92 3000GT VR4 and I just wanted to know if there were any significant problems or flaws.

Thanks in advance.

SR240DET
02-23-2003, 03:06 PM
vr4 has AWD... 6cyl?/straight? turbo... and heavy... i guess you can figure out gas milage from that.. its probly not great.. but not that bad...

thelinja
02-23-2003, 04:03 PM
Gas mileage is of a typical 3.0L V6: about 22mpg. I particularly wouldn't trust the cheap ass Hyundai trannies that Mitsubushi uses. The engine is basically the same block used in the new Eclipse GT's, Sebrings, and Stratus. If it has high mileage I would stay away, especially if it's a VR-4, because it's safe to assume it has had the shit driven out of it. Moose: are you selling your S14 for another car?

SR240DET
02-23-2003, 04:09 PM
is that why i hear about tranny problems with those? " cheap ass Hyundai trannies "

moose
02-23-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by thelinja
Gas mileage is of a typical 3.0L V6: about 22mpg. I particularly wouldn't trust the cheap ass Hyundai trannies that Mitsubushi uses. The engine is basically the same block used in the new Eclipse GT's, Sebrings, and Stratus. If it has high mileage I would stay away, especially if it's a VR-4, because it's safe to assume it has had the shit driven out of it. Moose: are you selling your S14 for another car?

No I'm selling but I would just like to check out all my options. My car has bascially no pick-up, and I want something with alittle more. I want something that has a good acceleration, and handling, but I would like something reliable. People raz me all the time about my 4 cyl. all the time. I can't stand it. I like being the only one driving my S14, but I get insecure about my car and I was thinking of getting something else. What about a 1998 Subaru 2.5 RS??

96SEChick
02-23-2003, 04:38 PM
Don't buy a VR-4 unless you have a large wallet. thelinja is right--the trannies/AWD diffs are very unreliable and very, very expensive to replace. You can't repair/rebuild them--you HAVE to replace them once something wears out.

thelinja
02-23-2003, 05:25 PM
There must be something wrong with your engine if it has no pickup. My car is stock and has a ton of pep. Why are you so worried about what other people say? Who gives a rat's ass if it's a four cylinder...what the hell do you think the 2.5RS is? The 240 has a lot of power and is one of the best handling rwd cars for the money. There are basically no import sport compacts out there with a 6 cylinder and rwd besides the 3000GT, Supra, and Z32. Other than those you're looking at domestics like Mustangs, Camaros, and Firebirds. Which aren't bad cars, but they weigh a ton and don't handle nearly as well as the 240. The 240SX is also faster than these cars. If you want a bigger engine because "4 bangers suck," I'd probably go with the Z.

KiDyNomiTe
02-23-2003, 06:04 PM
For the price of an S14 there aren't many RWD imports you can get. You can try an MR2, good luck finding a decent one though, especially the turbo ones. But most say those cars are hard to work with due to limited space, but they do pack punch, and do handle good, the older NA MKIs handle the best, but if you are so ensecure you won't like how they look.

Umm try an FC, not to sure on price, but they handle good, but learn to take care of the rotar before digging into one.

Also try the MKIII Supra's but they are heavy, and have a head gasket problem I believe.

Not much else though, a 240 would probably be the cheapest, FC probably handles the best, but requires the most knowledge and most babying.

MR2 is a good deal if you can afford it and find one, check out some boards to learn more about those cars, but the older MK2s have some sort of oversteer problem I believe, everyone juss calls it a happy rear end, but some suspension mods will fix that.

I would probably rule out the Supra, they are better for just all out speed, but they do look nice.

If you want more pep in your car, go forced induction, or juss get a domestic.

Titan
02-23-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by thelinja
There are basically no import sport compacts out there with a 6 cylinder and rwd besides the 3000GT, Supra, and Z32.

All 3000GT's are Front Wheel Drive, except the VR4, which is AWD.

SilviaDriver
02-23-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by moose
I want something that has a good acceleration, and handling

err..the 240 doesnt handle good enough for you? your car is probably stock thats y

People raz me all the time about my 4 cyl. all the time. I can't stand it. but I get insecure about my car and I was thinking of getting something else.

its called "who gives a ****" who cares if they rant you about the 4cyl. fix your ur **** and smoke em. and see if they will still "raz" you about your 4cyl. you bought the car for yourself, not for them

What about a 1998 Subaru 2.5 RS??

and a scooby isnt a 4cyl?

moose
02-23-2003, 08:10 PM
true true. Hey thanks for the encouragement boys, I needed that. I was looking at a WRX, and now I think no. Too much money. I really needed some reassurance in my car, and I will start to supe up my car and see what it'll do. I mean, I'm not saying the 240 is totally crappy, it's just I was looking into something with a little more horse, a little more grit. But if I go turbo (bolt on kit) I should be over 230 hp anyways right? Yes, that is true. 3000GT'S SUPRA'S AND 300ZX'S weigh alot yes, so that is pretty much ruled out of the question. I hope I'll notice a big improvement after I go turbo though, and it better be worth it.

Bbandit
02-23-2003, 08:44 PM
hold up hold up
you're selling your s14?
isnt your car a sileighty?
refresh my memory please cuz im a grandpa sometimes:D
this is your car right?
http://www.zilvia.net/f/attachment.php?s=&postid=201897
i got it from this thread
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23535

96SEChick
02-23-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Bbandit
hold up hold up
you're selling your s14?
isnt your car a sileighty?
refresh my memory please cuz im a grandpa sometimes:D
this is your car right?
http://www.zilvia.net/f/attachment.php?s=&postid=201897
i got it from this thread
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23535

Actually, that's gladhatter's car

Thurazor
02-23-2003, 11:09 PM
If you're looking for information on a Stealth and 3000GT I would highly suggest going to 3si.org and checking out the stats. You can also find the common problems that may be associated with particular years of the cars. The trannies in the 3000gt vr4 and stealth rt/tt in the transfer case, causing it to lock up the wheels. This can be potentially very dangerous. Thankfully there is a recent recall on the transmissions that fixes this :) Like any car, if it is properly maintained it will last you for many many years. A good example is a car owned by Eric Lotter whom I met at a recent gathering. He currently has over 300k miles on his car, stock engine and transmission :eek:. As for your questions in your original post, I get roughly 22mpg city. And since you're looking at a 1st gen 3000gt, here are the main questions I would ask the owner regarding maintenence;

Have you recalled the tranny yet?
How does the car idle?
Have you had any problems with the ecu?

Like I said earlier, the tranny is a free fix now. With the age of the car it would not be uncommon to have an idle problem which is caused by carbon buildup on the IAC. It can be a simple fix of just cleaning it with carb cleaner or go buy a used one on 3si for like $80. And the 1st gen 3000gt's and stealths have crappy capacitors on their ecu so they may leak. If they haven't been replaced, you can buy a set of 2nd gen 3000gt caps for a few bucks.

As for what I think about my car; I absolutely love it. It's only an es model so I don't have TT and I'm FWD, but I am more than happy with it. My friend (Transient) has a 240 and while it is a nice car it doesn't compare with the feel of being in my Stealth. The interior is well-designed and comfortable. Plus it's wider :) so that's always a plus.

Good luck on your possible car search. Feel free to shoot me an IM (FrizzleFry0) or stop by 3si.org. We're a bunch of real decent guys, much like zilvia, but without as much Super Street coverage hehe ;)

adey
02-24-2003, 03:36 AM
I say sell your POS S14 and buy a Stealth.
(disclaimer: yes, I have ulterior motives...)

Drift Style S14
02-24-2003, 04:35 AM
hey about the 2.5rs, i have a 2001, the last year made. They are nice cars, but three things about it bother me. First it has NO and i mean NO top end. Second it handles like a fwd car if pushed just a little. THird it body rolls like a bitch. seriously they are nice cars and handle nice with a little modding done to the suspention. Just save your cash and u can easily have a nicer car with ur 240.

live2drift2live
02-24-2003, 04:49 AM
Do not buy a Stealth for all the above reasons and that it is a Dodge. I say just save up for a Z or FC I dont know I just dont like domestic crap. Thats just my opinion
JBM

Titan
02-24-2003, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by live2drift2live
Do not buy a Stealth for all the above reasons and that it is a Dodge. I say just save up for a Z or FC I dont know I just dont like domestic crap. Thats just my opinion
JBM

An FC will be far less reliable then any Dodge.

Thurazor
02-24-2003, 10:37 AM
JBM

First off, the "above reasons" were for a Subaru, not a Dodge Stealth. My car happens to handle very very well, especially since it's fwd. Another thing to consider is that the initial car Moose was looking into was a VR4, so it has awd. And awd is better than rwd as long you can live without good burnouts. Second, a Dodge Stealth is made by Mitsubishi.

nrcooled
02-24-2003, 10:45 AM
JBM

1 vote for dumbest post on the forum

Edit: Moose the reason that they raz you so much is because it works. You keep letting get under your skin. Take it from me (a reformed bully and sarcastic beeotch) I would bother only the people that it bugged the most.

Take pride in your ride

kurissuS13
02-24-2003, 10:52 AM
JBM

i'm sorry, man, but that's just plain ole' ignorant.

1 vote for dumbest post on the forum

make that 2.

live2drift2live
02-26-2003, 12:39 PM
An FC will be far less reliable then any Dodge.

That is not true many FC owners that I met at Peter Ferrells said that they are reliable because they have less moving parts. But even though there are less moving parts is the fact that if the Apex seal goes everything goes. This is because people who dont know their car put ****y gas in their cars, they push the limits, and they do not follow up on the maintance. Just ask the people who put in the classifieds for a FC "Twin Turbo V6". My uncle has owned both a FC and a VR4. Both have lasted close to 100K and are still running strong. My cousin who had a Dodge Stealth got it about the same time as my uncles VR4 and had many problems with it, turbos going out, losing compression, leaks and electrical problems.

Second, a Dodge Stealth is made by Mitsubishi.

Mitsubishi didnt make the Stealth, they just designed it, like Toyota designing the Cavalier. The stealth was made in Detriot and the VR4 in Japan so they have different build quality.

But if you want it get it. Im just throwing out my opinion and btw if you get a Subu they have better realiablity and they are fun to throw around. And to the two last posters, its my opinion so I dont gaf about what you say. Ohh and my views are still the same Domestics are crap.

JBM